Metallica

Gojira have just done a session on Radio 1, I believe. Usually that station is nothing but shit.
Yes, Gojira were pretty good, I listened last night. The Rock Show is an odd mix. Pop punk, radio-friendly rock, indie, hard rock, alternative rock, metal, whatevercore, and whatever else Kerrang seems to class as rock. As diverse as the average Download Festival bill. They seem to put the sessions up on iPlayer without most of the DJ nonsense and Radio 1 jingles.

These seas are very hostile to the black Jolly Roger. But back at my home cove, the galleon will be Loaded with loot. Until then, mateys

Damn...I stand corrected. There is some really good stuff on this record. Haven't listened to everything yet, but everything I've heard is better than the first three tracks that were released. I'm actually really surprised. Dream no more slays. There's the retro thrash stuff, but they have some Alice in Chains-esque moments throughout that remind me of the Load era (but in a much cooler way) - not to mention some killer nods to Sabbath.

The record isn't available yet where I live. Does the US have an earlier release date or something. Usually I am one of the first when it comes to album releases. Or do people get their experiences from leaks?

The record isn't available yet where I live. Does the US have an earlier release date or something. Usually I am one of the first when it comes to album releases. Or do people get their experiences from leaks?

People are listening to the leaks.

The one going around isn't too bad in quality.

Bass is much louder in the mix than it normally is with Metallica, check it out, sounds pretty cool.

- It's not recent (Late September) but wasn't posted here.

Not sure if he's complaining that he was left out per se. He lost his ideas on that phone, I think that's why he said "It wasn't meant to be".

That doesn't really make him useless though. The studio videos show the other three guys collaborating, even Robert Trujillo is there despite not really contributing that much. Why was Kirk left out of the writing sessions altogether?

Metallica disc 1 initial impressions -
1 & 2 suck, 3 is awesome, 4 & 5 are really good, 6 is amazing and the most melodic thing they've done in 20 years. When they're good, the vocals are catchier than they've been since Load.

Disc 2 initial impressions -
7 is okay, 8 is really cool, 9 is okay, 10 is neat and weird, 11 is okay, 12 is really good. Kirk sucks on the whole thing. Honestly, this album has more in common with the 90's material than anything else.

Last edited:
If you don't want to wait, they're releasing official music videos for the rest of the songs every couple hours today/tomorrow. Below are the first 3.

Dream No More:

Confusion:

ManUNkind:

For me, the first 3 songs they initially released along with Spit Out The Bone are the best because they're the closest to what Metallica was like back in the 80's. The rest of the album is quite a letdown because it all sounds like more of Load/Reload but not as good. They started to head to their old sound with Death Magnetic and I was hoping this album was going to complete that transition and really go there. Maybe all those riffs Kirk had were more towards that style and when he lost them, they said the hell with it and went for a simpler style. Oh well.

Bass is much louder in the mix than it normally is with Metallica, check it out, sounds pretty cool.

- It's not recent (Late September) but wasn't posted here.
Very nice! Never realized Hetfield did that first solo (I'm no expert and probably never paid enough attention to live footage from this song).

Just listened to the first disc, and honestly the only song I don't like in the slightest is the opening track. Everything else ranges from "pretty solid" to "best song since [insert '90s song here]."

I liked Moth the first time I heard it, with its catchy melodies and emphasis on lead work. The chorus reminds me of a song from Death Magnetic (Judas Kiss?) but better. In fact, it's my favorite so far on this disc. Halo is pretty cool, but it's a song I need more time to absorb. Same goes for Dream No More and whatever Lovecraftian nonsense Hetfield is spewing throughout. Now That We're Dead starts off really cool, and it's a nice mid-tempo break from the fast stuff.

Excited to hear the second disc. So far this is better than Death Magnetic and is up there with the best of the Load/Reload era.

Back