Metal with female vocals

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I decided to try some female-fronted metal bands since I mostly avoided such bands. I checked some YouTube clips of most famous bands of this "genre" and here's what I like:
After Forever
Ava Inferi
Delain
Epica
I don't like Lacuna Coil or Within Temptation. Of course, I heard Nightwish (most famous female-fronted metal band IMO).
Any more suggestions? :cheers:

I'd like to give some names, but I'd advise you to read the wiki sites as well, and don't be put off by a first or second song, because most bands did quite a lot of different things.

The two oldest and perhaps most influential:
The 3rd and the Mortal (Norway) &
The Gathering (Holland)
The Gatherings most famous (and best?) song: Strange Machines, from their famous album Mandylion. Impossible to not automatically headbang on this one. A classic! Check the crowd!

Check this song Black Light District. Be patient and see how this develops.
Other work: Broken Glass

These are not the easiest bands to get into, though. The Gathering changed did new things on about every album, and 3rd and the Mortal made both short, acoustic stuff but also longer epic and complex songs.

Autumn (Holland) started of as a doomy/dark/gothic kind of metal band. I always loved this song "The Witch in Me", it rocked as hell, live. Now they have a different singer, more rock orientated. Still good, but different.

Nemesea (Holland). If you ever come upon the album Mana (2004), it's a fantastic album with progressive metal elements, great vocals and melodies. High level guitar and bass playing. Later the band started writing simpler songs and I thought that was a big let down. Check this epic stuff.

Good luck with your explorations.
Maybe more later. ;)

Thanks :cheers: It seems that your country is full of female-fronted bands since 7 out of 11 bands mentioned on this thread are Dutch :D

You could say that my country exports the leading "clubs" in the top league, yes.

Don't forget Mark Jansen's new band which also features (guest) vocals by Simone, Floor and others:

MaYaN - Drown the Demon

Featuring Mark Jansen (Epica) alongside Jack Driessen (ex-After Forever) and Frank Schiphorst, will release its debut album Quarterpast, on May 20 2011

MaYaN members:
Mark Jansen (Epica, ex-After forever) -- Guitar, Vocals
Jack Driessen (ex-After forever) - Keyboards
Frank Schiphorst - Guitar, Vocals
Jeroen Paul Thesseling (Pestilence, Obscura) - Bass
Isaac Delahaye (Epica) - Guitar
Ariën van Weesenbeek (Epica) - Drums

Quarterpast will feature vocal contributions from:
Floor Jansen (Revamp, ex-After forever)
Simone Simons (Epica)
Henning Basse (Sons Of Seasons)
Laura Macrì (Italian opera singer)

I heard that MaYaN song, it's great.

Forostar said:
The Gatherings most famous (and best?) song: Strange Machines, from their famous album Mandylion.
This is amazing. Great vocals :ok:

You already posted Autumn on another thread, not my cup of tea, sorry :S

Forostar said:
Check this epic stuff.
This is also very good.

Forostar said:
Henning Basse (Sons Of Seasons)
I'm also gonna check Sons Of Seasons, not exactly female fronted, but still features female vocals...

Lunatica is female fronted and pretty good. Sirenia has female vocalists... That's all I can think of at the moment.

my favorite is Lacuna Coil, but you don't like them... <_<

Edenbridge is good, very uptempo but symphonic. Their best IMHO is the album "Solitaire."

Within Temptation's first album was good but they've got to crap since then.

Amberian Dawn have flashes of brilliance, but some of their songs are just so bad that you want to collapse into laughter.

Both incarnations of Nightwish are also pretty good, can't decide which one I like better yet.

Has Nightwish released a second cd with the new vocalist? seems forever ago they released dark passion play

OH HELL TO THE NO!

You have to specify. Is she technically better? No. Better voice? No. does she FIT better with the band? I think so. I think Tarja's voice, while the band's trademark was also, in a way, holding them back. Annette gives the band more flexibility in what they can do.

Onhell said:
OH HELL TO THE NO!

You have to specify. Is she technically better? No. Better voice? No. does she FIT better with the band? I think so. I think Tarja's voice, while the band's trademark was also, in a way, holding them back. Annette gives the band more flexibility in what they can do.

I think this is accurate, which why I'm still this way/that way on which is better. I mean, Wanderlust is the BEST example of how awesome Tarja was, but Dark Passion Play was the album they never could have made with her... and it was, to me, the epitome of symphonic metal and their best work. I think I won't decide and just enjoy all of them :)

Onhell said:
does she FIT better with the band? I think so.
Yeah, I should've said that. Also, Tarja's voice sounds horrible live, and she's very boring as a frontwoman.

If for no other reason than the Pink Floyd reference ("heroes for ghosts"), I'll give it a listen.
So, I did.  It was okay.  Some nice vocal melodies, kind of cool, but not exactly gripping -- more like soundtrack/mood music than an actual song.  (Not unlike some Pink Floyd material!)  I'm generally a sucker for female singers, and her voice is pleasant enough. 

Song or not, I thought there really was a suspenseful build-up going on there. Cool you took a listen.

:edmetal:

I can't believe I forgot to mention WARLOCK!

As an 8 year old, this was one of my favorite albums:
Warlock+Triumph+And+Agony.jpg

Back