Metal - lifestyle, phase or something else?

Make up your mind.

Learn to comprehend. You're talking Side A (the so called Satanists) while I'm talking Side B (the ones who call that name).

It shouldn't be hard to see, NP. People who call those guys satanist don't do it because they don't care for metal's sound. They do it because it's offending to their religion. It doesn't offend their musical preference, it offends their religion. Clear enough?

It's just music. I don't those subcultures musical styles bring along. Goes for metal, goes for punk, goes for classical, goes for rap.
It's not just music to a lot of people though. While you may not feel the need to feel part of something bigger with a style of music you like, others do. People need outlets like that, and metal is that outlet for a lot of people. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's not just music to a lot of people though. While you may not feel the need to feel part of something bigger with a style of music you like, others do. People need outlets like that, and metal is that outlet for a lot of people. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not trying to abolish these things man come on. It's just the way I see it, my own liking. If it makes them feel good and welcomed, then great.

I wasn't misinterpreting stuff, it's just that an unrelated matter got into the way of conversation and it was my way of explaining its unrelatedness. Being misinformed about metal is a completely different thing than liking a musical genre and being close minded to others, which is why it was unrelated.

I know plenty of people who dislike metal and yet haven't given it a chance, I also know plenty who dislike it and have tried to listen to some, but the reason they give is either "Its noise" or "Its just shouting" or "Its just songs about death". They simply don't like it, just like I don't like pop. I hear far more "It's just noise" comments about metal from other fans than I hear insults towards other music from metal fans. I've been at a mates house before late night when everyone's just been sitting talking while people put music on on the PC, and I don't get up and turn off the rap that they put on, but I put on a metal song (even though the guy who's house it is likes metal) and someone will be up within 30 seconds to change it with a muttering of "What is this shit". In my experience there is far more intolerance towards metal in EVERY aspect - music, culture, fans, the works - than there is from it. Quite often I can put on a song to one of my sisters and as long as I don't say what it is they will listen and enjoy it, ask what it is, and when I say they go "... oh." and all the interest disappears from them, as soon as it's known to be metal they are put off. It's quite a common occurrence.

I will quite frequently say "I just don't like pop music", because it's far easier than saying "I have not yet discovered pop music that I enjoy and don't have the time to explore every possible album looking for one that I do".

I'll throw in a picture to lighten the mood.

I%25E2%2580%2599m%2BA%2BHuge%2BMetal%2BFan%2B-%2BMe%2BToo%2521.gif

Jesus Christ, the amount of stereotyping in this thread makes me feel nauseous.

I tried my best to avoid generalizations but looks like phrases like "most of", "some of", "generally speaking" don't carry any value. I was talking solely about a part of a fanbase which I labelled "conservative fans" and that I felt like metal and classical has the biggest amount of those people. If anyone feels like I was attacking the entire metal fanbase I'm sorry but you're a bit too sensitive there.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm a bit bummed out about my first argument (genre dissing) about the matter receiving all the attention while the second argument (back-to-basics) hasn't seen anything. I felt like it was just as strong as an argument, if not stronger.

Last edited:
Oh yea I wanted to respond to that. I think the back to basics thing is fine in a lot of cases, in any genre. A lot of bands develop a formula that works really well for them and then whenever they do something else it just doesn't sound good. Some people simply aren't good at experimenting and if the same approach brings great results every time, they might as well stick to it. Megadeth is a great example of that; every time they do something different (Super Collider, Risk) the results are awful. Megadeth makes good thrash metal and I think they do it better than any of the other Big 4 bands right now so they should stick with that.

Then there are plenty of bands who do the same thing every time and it starts to get stale. The first band that springs to mind is Iced Earth, who have more or less been making the same album over and over again for the past ten years. I know they did that concept album thing, but musically that was their same old formula beefed up with a bunch of pointless interludes. I think some experimentation would help them a lot. I heard a few shining moments of something different on their last album and those were my favorite parts of the album. Go figure.

So really it depends on the band. And that's another thing that isn't strictly metal, I can think of a ton of artists who took a back to basics approach that aren't Metal. It's not even the majority of metal, there are so many metal bands trying different things. I'd say currently this is perhaps the most experimental metal has ever been even.

Quality isn't the matter there, though. Many metal fans feel kinda betrayed when a band changes sound, even if they like the newly produced stuff.

I've never seen an instance where a fan feels betrayed even if they like the new sound. That's ridiculous.

Back