Metal - lifestyle, phase or something else?

SLAYEEEEEERRRRRR?
07DXTDU.gif

At any metal gig, you'll encounter old gimmers who've been in it since the start. Not a phase.

It's not a phase for me, that's for sure. It was a lifestyle when I was a teen - you know how serious kids tend to take everything that somehow relates to the sub-culture they identify with: clothes, accessories, hair, image, attitude. I was just like that - the more metal, the better and actually, in my own eyes, there was always room for more metal-ness. I would obsess over bands, would strive to be the most devoted fan, would have personal rankings and weekly Top 10 bands, Top 5 albums, Top 100 songs, etc. It's good that I had no Internet access back in those days because now I would feel super embarrassed. Now I find that sort of obsession ridiculous and that tendency to take yourself seriously hilarious. Other than that, I'm still a metalhead because I simply don't listen to anything else.

I'm sure I did. I had a big notebook with all sorts of silly data about bands, like a list of past members or my own insignificant thoughts on every album I had heard.

Metal is not a phase for me, either. I 100% consider myself a metalhead because I love metal, but I do not live, embrace, or believe in a "metal lifestyle". I'll wear band shirts because I like the bands and I like starting up conversations with other metalheads based solely on the shared moment of, "hey, cool shirt I love _____!" The rest of the metal image I find rather juvenile, honestly. If I'm not wearing a band shirt most people would not assume I listen to metal.

Things I find ridiculous about the culture:
- the need for metal fans to prove their dominance/trveness/kvltness etc. by liking more hardcore things. Like what you like, let other people like what they like. There's nothing wrong with debating different bands, songs, or albums, but the people that dismiss something based on it not being heavy or brutal or whatever enough are idiots.
- the idea that being a metalhead is an all-consuming aspect of musical enjoyment. I love metal, but I also love folk, rock, Motown, blues, and even some pop and country.

Back