Metal from your home country: name you favorite band and post one song for each metal sub genre.

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Ok... Let's see what all those metal gems around the world. I'll start:

Hard Rock: Iberia - Deep Cuts The Knife (1990)

Heavy Metal: V12 - Sinais Do Tempo (1989)

Power Metal: Attic Demons - The Circle Of Light (2016)

Thrash Metal: Ramp - Black Tie (1995)

Death Metal: Sacred Sin - Darkside (1992)

Doom Metal: Process Of Guilt - Waves (2009)

Black Metal: Névoa - Contemplation (2016)

Prog Metal: Thormenthor - Abstract Divinity (1994)

Industrial Metal: Bizarra Locomotiva - Se Me Amas (1999)

Gothic Metal: Moonspell - 2nd Skin (1997)

Your turn.

There's only one real hard rock/metal band that I like from Ireland

The solo from Robbo is better on the LP version of Live and Dangerous.

Also, Primordial are a well respected band in the extreme metal field, but I'm not much of a fan of them. I do like this cover of the traditional rebel song though

Well... simply two monster bands when it comes to Hard Rock and Black/ Folk Metal (easily among the best in the world in each genre).
The same works for U2 in Pop/Rock, The Pogues in Folk/Punk, The Cranberries in Indie and Therapy? in Alternative Rock. Plus there's the retro thrash of Gama Bomb (although they're from Northern Ireland).

But my favorite Irish band is God Is An Astronaut. Man those guys make a brand of "Post-Psychedelic-Prog-Ambiental-whatever they hell they play Rock" that never ceases to amaze me. Simply my favorite instrumental band.

Apart from Thin Lizzy and Primordial, the first Irish bands that come to mind are Mael Mórdha and Cruachan.

Please forgive me, but I don't think it's going to bring anything new to the table when I start doing this for German bands. I have the suspicion that people here would be familiar with most of the bands I could name.

Apart from Thin Lizzy and Primordial, the first Irish bands that come to mind are Mael Mórdha and Cruachan.

I have a few Cruachan albums as well, @Magnus posted their cover of Ride On recently in the now playing thread, another track I really like.

There's a healthy enough underground extreme metal scene, that those bands you mentioned are a part off, it's just towards the heavier end of the spectrum to the stuff I'm a fan of.

There was another kind of mainstream Lizzy style band called Glyder that I kind of liked on their first albums or two, Bruce played them on his radio show, but the tracks haven't held up too well for me at least, they kind of needed a bit more of their own identity.

Can't name 5 local metal bands from the top of my head, let alone go into subgenres. This one is my favourite.

The name of the band translates to manure.

Please forgive me, but I don't think it's going to bring anything new to the table when I start doing this for German bands. I have the suspicion that people here would be familiar with most of the bands I could name.
As a dual citizen of both Germany and the United States, I got you covered. :ok:

Triptykon

You're Swiss??? Oh man some of my favorite bands are from Switzerland. I prefer Celtic Frost to Triptykon (nonetheless they'r also ok). And then there's Samael, The Young Gods and Zeal And Ardor: 3 acts that simply blow my mind (The Young Gods is simply one of my favorite bands). Plus there's Coroner and Messiah who are also great. Switzerland is the living proof that your country doesn't need to have millions of bands to have extremely high quality.

Can't name 5 local metal bands from the top of my head, let alone go into subgenres. This one is my favourite.

The name of the band translates to manure.
Cool Thrashy stuff (I only can imagine the lyrics with such a name :p). TBH the only other Croatian band I know is Ashes You Leave but I reaaly don't like it (kind of a crossover between Evanescence with My Dying Bride). Rather listen to these Manure thrashers eheheheh

As a dual citizen of both Germany and the United States, I got you covered. :ok:
Yup I get your point... unless your favorite bands are quite underground. Even I had to post one widely known band (Moonspell... I really don't like 90% of what they do but once in a while they do something that rings with me) and to a certain point Attic Demons (because of Bisa's - Artur's nickname -voice being mistaken by Bruce). BTW... know those guys before they had even released their debut and have done some wild shit back in the day when we used to hang around in bars and stuff. Really cool dudes. Sometimes I miss those alcohol filled crazy nights with those guys... there was always something surreal happening.

Yup I get your point... unless your favorite bands are quite underground.
Which for me from the German side could possibly be Ahab, but I ramble on about them so much on this forum that I highly doubt I need to discuss my love for them here, lol!

Even I had to post one widely known band (Moonspell...
Are Moonspell really all that popular? I know they're kind of the Portuguese metal band but I don't think without a lot of research on my part I'd ever have heard of them otherwise. The situation might be completely different in their native Portugal and Europe as a whole though. America tends to bury a lot of shit. (Also their song "Opium" cooks!)

Are Moonspell really all that popular? I know they're kind of the Portuguese metal band but I don't think without a lot of research on my part I'd ever have heard of them otherwise. The situation might be completely different in their native Portugal and Europe as a whole though. America tends to bury a lot of shit. (Also their song "Opium" cooks!)
I think they really are. I'm far from being a fan but it seems they truly are (or at least used to be) a stronghold in the European scene regarding their genre. Curiously I absolutely dislike Opium... When Moonspell goes too much Goth Metal I think they completely fail (just like any band who isn't Paradise Lost Or Type O Negative... just my taste). Regarding their catalogue I like their first EP (which was an excellent mixture of Symphonic Dark/Black Metal with Arab influences), the folk tunes from Wolfheart, Second Skin EP and their conceptual album 1755 from 2017. These differences between America and Europe are normal. Back in the mid 90's Paradise Lost were HUGE in Europe while almost unknown in the the States.

Back