Megadeth

Si I will listen it tomorrow after the final listening of Senjutsu that will make 52 weeks of listening and 1 year from its release.
So My personal listening party for this weekend will be:
1. Senjutsu
2. Megadeth new album ( new release)
3. Epica- Live at Paradiso ( new release)
4. King’s X - Three Sides of One ( new release)
5. Blind Guardian- The God Machine ( new release)

New album is fine. Some is good, some is bad, some is silly and dumb. Will Be Back is still the best song.

I don’t know…newer Megadeth releases just don’t have anything really catchy happening. The riffs are fine, some of the vocal melodies are solid, the solos are solos…but nothing has any real hooks.

New album is fine. Some is good, some is bad, some is silly and dumb. Will Be Back is still the best song.

I don’t know…newer Megadeth releases just don’t have anything really catchy happening. The riffs are fine, some of the vocal melodies are solid, the solos are solos…but nothing has any real hooks.
Soldier On and Mission to Mars are very hooky.

Soldier On and Mission to Mars are very hooky.
Soldier On has a solid chorus for sure. But the main riff is one of the worst things in their discography.

Mission to Mars is trash. I have never liked Dave’s obsession with vocal FX laden tracks, and this infantile thing makes A Thousand Times Goodbye and Captive Honour sound like masterpieces.

My hot take on the new album after one listen:
  • Lots of cool guitar parts (especially some unexpected harmony bits that must be Kiko's doing)
  • Mustaine sounds a little less vocally constipated than he did on Dystopia
  • Sorely lacking in melodic hooks, though there are a few here and there
  • Songwriting is really uneven, sometimes feeling like an ill-considered patchwork of otherwise good ideas
  • For the first time in a long time the lyrics don't sound like they're cowritten by Alex Jones
As with all Megadeth albums I'm going to need a few more listens for it to fully sink in, but this feels like one step forward and two steps back from Dystopia. There are some cool, fresh musical ideas on here, but they're just seasoning on top of by-the-numbers "Oh well, I guess I'm supposed to write a thrash album" Mustaine, and the songwriting seems to have gotten a bit worse vs. the previous album. It's still pretty good, as are most Megadeth albums, but overall I'm not impressed.

Megadeth seems like they're going through their Death Magnetic phase right now, trying to get back to their roots and partially succeeding, but it all feels a little forced. I still think Endgame was their last great album, as it felt like a legitimate bridge between their thrash roots and their more commercial 90s period, and the songwriting on that one was mostly great.

IMO the new Megadeth record is BY FAR my favorite since 2009 Endgame (although not reaching Endgame's excellence).

To be fair I dig 9 out of the 12 tracks. I like Soldier On! Psychopaty/Killing Time and Célebutant although IMO they're little more than merely enjoyable. Now the final stretch of the title track, Dogs Of Chernobyl and We'll Be Back are really strong. Three songs that stick to your mind but still nothing that makes my blood boil that much. The same can't be said about Night Stalkers and especially Life In Hell and Mission To Mars: these three cuts are jaw dropping gorgeous!

Overall I liked it and taking in account their releases during the 2010's they even surprised me positively. So I think TSTDATD is a really decent record that easily holds its own and adds to Dave's band role of amazing tunes a couple more. It also shows Megadeth still has some gas in their tank.

Kings Of Thrash rehearsals for the KIMB/SFSGSW shows:

Singer’s a little rough, but more or less has the right sound. Poland and Young sound great, as expected.

Last edited:
Behold! My blasphemous Megadeth rankings!

1. RUST IN PEACE - 9.0
2. COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION - 8.7
3. PEACE SELLS - 8.6
4. YOUTHANASIA - 7.5
5. THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED - 7.3
6. RISK - 7.2
7. CRYPTIC WRITINGS - 7.0
8. DYSTOPIA - 6.8
9. ENDGAME - 6.8
10. UNITED ABOMINATIONS - 6.3
11. KILLING IS MY BUSINESS - 5.7
12. SO FAR, SO GOOD…SO WHAT! - 5.5