Megadeth

So, I only have Megadeth albums up to Youthanasia. Have heard enough (here & there) of Megadeth to know I will enjoy listening to later releases in more detail & now seems as good a time as any to start. I'll be buying physical (CDs): any suggestions of where to start or anything to avoid? e.g. maybe leaving anything totally crud to last; and views on remastered catalogue (good/bad).
@Black Wizard

So, I only have Megadeth albums up to Youthanasia. Have heard enough (here & there) of Megadeth to know I will enjoy listening to later releases in more detail & now seems as good a time as any to start. I'll be buying physical (CDs): any suggestions of where to start or anything to avoid? e.g. maybe leaving anything totally crud to last; and views on remastered catalogue (good/bad).
@Black Wizard
Between 'Youthanasia' and 'The System Has Failed' the only noteworthy song is 'She Wolf' from 'Cryptic Writings', but the trio of 'Cryptic Writings', 'Risk' and 'The World Needs a Hero' has to be one of the weakest sequences of albums by any Metal band. Leave those until last.

'The System Has Failed' is a return to form and has some decent songs, but 'United Abominations' is a superior album (although it has some duds too). Some songs from 'United Abominations' are among my favourite Megadeth songs ('Sleepwalker' and 'Blessed are the Dead') and I wish Dave would bring a couple of them back into the setlist.

'Endgame' is a solid album which received a lot of praise but I didn't like it much at first. It has grown on me since though and '44 Minutes' stands up to the best of Megadeth's classic material.

'Th1rt3en' is a bit of an odd album. The title is stupid and a few of the songs are re-recordings of 90s songs. I actually like this album a lot though, despite its dumber, catchy style.

Leave 'Super Collider' until late. There are some OK songs but it's a bit of a mess of an album. 'Dystopia' was a return to form in that it was actually a decent Metal album but reminded me a lot of 'Endgame' in that that there aren't many stand out songs.

Cryptic Writings and TWNAH are very underrated. Both have some Megadeth's best songs. For example Dread and the Fugitive Mind.

For a song to be considered as a "classic" there needs to be some consensus from the fanbase surely? There will be consensus on this song, but not a positive consensus.
What are you talking about? That song is hugely popular among the fans.

Disconnect? 1000 Times Goodbye? A lot of great songs. Dave actually had a pretty good voice during that time period.

Disconnect? 1000 Times Goodbye?
:puke:
Dave actually had a pretty good voice during that time period.
Dave's vocals have never been about being "good". When they were doing Thrash albums he had the right vocal style for the sort of music they made. When Dave wanted to write commercial albums instead he no longer had the right sort of vocals for what they wanted to do.

I've seen most reviewers of the album single out "Dread" as one of its best songs.
I'll use Joey Barton's analogy for political parties to answer that one:

Reactions: Jer
Back