Megadeth

CD3...there are a lot of tracks from System and Abominations that deserve to be there, but can't because Mustaine wants to promote Dystopia
True. Death from within is a great song but not as good as Sleepwalker or The Scorpion for example.

So, Megadeth. Before I joined MaidenFans, they were my favorite metal band, but that's obviously changed a lot now. So I'm gonna finally listen to their full discography, something I didn't do before and I probably should have. Time to find out, once and for all, whether or not they or Metallica takes the crown of the Big 4.

If Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good compared to its counterpart Kill 'Em All is any sort of proof, then it's Metallica.

Megadeth really weren't that good in the 80s.
giphy.gif

Dave's vocals were bad imo.
Dave’s vocals have always been bad. But they work with the music, IMO. And what Dave has always done best is deliver sneering, biting lyrics dripping with contempt, and he did that best in the 80s. “Peace Sells”, “Liar”, and especially “Hook In Mouth” are all Dave at his seething best.

Disagree with the exception of Ride the Lightning. And that one, it is interesting to note, still has a lot of Mustaine on it.

Ok they were "good" but far behind Metallica.

Far behind Metallica in what way exactly might be the better question here. Because Megadeth wrote more furious, mean and musically challenging thrash pieces than Metallica during this time, but failed to write the stuff that made 80's Metallica stand out...which means a good ear for combining the heavyness with harmonies, emotion, hooks and melodies.....

Megadeth would then on the other hand totally overhaul Metallica in that department in the 90s.

I think I was too harsh last night about Megadeth's debut. I listened to The Final Kill version and I like it more than I did yesterday. I think Metallica had a more fleshed-out direction with their debut, but Megadeth's is easier to digest and doesn't really have any bad songs (which isn't to say it's great at the same time). I think the average score will end up higher than that of Kill 'Em All. I just wish we didn't have to deal with all that stupid shit over "These Boots".

I just wish we didn't have to deal with all that stupid shit over "These Boots".
Then listen to the original mix. I think some of the songs sound better on that version — “Chosen Ones”, and at least some parts of “Looking Down The Cross”...

Then listen to the original mix. I think some of the songs sound better on that version — “Chosen Ones”, and at least some parts of “Looking Down The Cross”...
For the review I'm gonna use the original mix for "These Boots", obviously, because it's better than all the bleeping or old man Dave trying to recapture his young days. I will be using The Final Kill for the rest of the album though, because I do think it sounds much better, and Dave's vocals are actually kinda good on here (as far as Dave can be considered "good"). The only thing I liked about the original mix was the bass being so high up in the mix, but it's still present here so I'll be fine otherwise.

I agree with Sixes' general sentiments. Megadeth more than match Metallica in most departments. I'd say their 80's & 90's catalogue compares very favourably vs Metallica's.

Back