Maybe the last history tour from 1990-2015

I would say the Maiden England tour would've been better had SBIT not included any Seventh Son material. I thought the ME set list was awesome, although Still Life and Infinite Dreams were disappointing omissions. The Prisoner and ATSS made up for it though IMO. But the presence of songs like Moonchild in the previous history tour lessened the impact in the following tour. They should've done a deep cut from Somewhere In Time instead.

How difficult would it be, or would it even be possible, for Iron Maiden fans to devise a petition for them to play certain songs in their next tour? I've got several dream setlists I'd love to submit for such a petition.

Metallica tried that, it resulted in a Greatest Hits setlist. Unfortunately, the majority of people going to a Maiden show want to hear the hits and not the deep cuts.

Unfortunately, the majority of people going to a Maiden show want to hear the hits and not the deep cuts.
And this is something I think the harcore Maiden nerds need to get over. I'm a true Maiden fan who knows everything they've ever done, and I would always advocate a hits tour. I'm trying to get as much Maiden experience as I can before they retire. Though the setlist I submitted above does include some deep cuts.

I love the hits, too, but Maiden have been alternating hits tours with new album tours for years now, so I don't see what "true Maiden fans" have to complain about. We get a new album tour, we get a hits tour, everyone wins.

Yea they do a pretty good job all things considered. I wish they'd dig a little deeper sometimes but overall can't complain too much.

Controversial opinion: most of the never/rarely played songs are that way for a good reason and would only be dusted off for the novelty of it.

Controversial opinion: most of the never/rarely played songs are that way for a good reason and would only be dusted off for the novelty of it.

Most? Possibly. I would however break my back to see Isle of Avalon, Starblind, Judas Be My Guide, The Unbeliever, Childhood's End or The Fugitive live. Those are unfairly overlooked. So is Thin Line, actually.

I divide unplayed Maiden songs into three categories: Songs that were logistically impossible/too difficult to play or wouldn't have worked as well live, "filler" tracks or weaker songs that weren't worthy of the live stage (or to put it less harshly: songs that weren't worth taking away setlist time from better songs), and strong songs that should have (and could have) been played live. Now obviously this is all opinion and other people will get different results, but using Foro's guide as a reference, I count 15 unplayed songs that I'd want to hear live.* 7 of those fit into the first category, which leaves 8 songs that were actual missed opportunities IMO. For a catalog as big as Maiden's, that's not bad at all.

*If you're curious:
Prodigal Son
Flash Of the Blade (this was impossible for them to pull off with just two guitarists at the time, but now that they have 3 guitarists it would be the perfect never-played song from the 80s to bring back. I would honestly choose this over Alex)
Alex (obviously that instrumental section has caused them problems)
Only the Good Die Young
Fates Warning
Run Silent Run Deep
Judas Be My Guide
The Unbeliever (pretty tricky rhythm in the verses, I imagine that was the main reason it wasn't played)
Montsegur
Face In the Sand (Nicko had to use a double bass to record it)
Mother of Mercy (probably too difficult for Bruce)
The Alchemist
Isle of Avalon (they probably had trouble with the time changes)
Starblind (same here, listen to them screwing up Paschendale on the 2010 leg to see why this was never going to happen live)
Empire Of the Clouds (too long to play)

And the setlist for TBOS tour was incredible. Checked off some huge classics I'd never heard them play live yet like Wrathchild and Powerslave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I divide unplayed Maiden songs into three categories: Songs that were logistically impossible/too difficult to play or wouldn't have worked as well live, "filler" tracks or weaker songs that weren't worthy of the live stage (or to put it less harshly: songs that weren't worth taking away setlist time from better songs), and strong songs that should have (and could have) been played live. Now obviously this is all opinion and other people will get different results, but using Foro's guide as a reference, I count 15 unplayed songs that I'd want to hear live.* 7 of those fit into the first category, which leaves 8 songs that were actual missed opportunities IMO. For a catalog as big as Maiden's, that's not bad at all.

*If you're curious:
Prodigal Son
Flash Of the Blade (this was impossible for them to pull off with just two guitarists at the time, but now that they have 3 guitarists it would be the perfect never-played song from the 80s to bring back. I would honestly choose this over Alex)
Alex (obviously that instrumental section has caused them problems)
Only the Good Die Young
Fates Warning
Run Silent Run Deep
Judas Be My Guide
The Unbeliever (pretty tricky rhythm in the verses, I imagine that was the main reason it wasn't played)
Montsegur
Face In the Sand (Nicko had to use a double bass to record it)
Mother of Mercy (probably too difficult for Bruce)
The Alchemist
Isle of Avalon (they probably had trouble with the time changes)
Starblind (same here, listen to them screwing up Paschendale on the 2010 leg to see why this was never going to happen live)
Empire Of the Clouds (too long to play)

Ok THANK YOU! Flash of the blade. Why don't they bring this out now. It screams play me live!! Flash would bring the house down and would be a sweet encore start. That opening riff "shattering the still!"? Perfect song to unearth now with janic in mix.

It should've been played live on the SBIT tour instead of Moonchild (we all knew they would do a Seventh Son focused tour).

@Sea of Madness - please be familiar with the spoiler policy on this forum. Anything relating to active tours outside of the pinned spoiler thread must be in spoiler tags.

Anyway.. Eh. SiT hasn't gotten much post-SiT love, has it? It's a middling album to me, and I've seen the Maiden England tour, soooo...I'm OK with that.

There's a handful of classic songs I'd really like to see live, but I've checked off a great many. Revelations is probably the #1 song I'd really love to see live. Rime would be the next one. Killers as well. Beyond that, the songs I really want to see live are far, far more modern - Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, etc.

Rime and Killers would be at the top of my list, along with Paschendale & infinite Dreams - Ive seen none live. The only one I can see making a come back is Rime but only at a potential farewell tour.

Of tunes Ive seen but want again it would have to be Where Eagles Dare, Revelations & Dance of Death. Eagles is not goin to happen, not even at a farewell tour but the other 2 could happen at any time I reckon, farewell, greatest hits or album tour.

Also using Foro's Guide and Mosh's idea, there are only 5 never played Maiden songs that I'd really, really want to hear live and also expect them to somehow pull off:

Deja-Vu
Only the Good Die Young
Judas Be My Guide
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Empire of the Clouds

Also, maybe The Duellists, which might be cool, but also might seem weird now that there are 3 guitars. The whole "dueling" theme worked better with 2.

Back