Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth, Ashes Of Ares, Sentinels)

The album came out today. Only listened to this bonus cover so far, tonight I will check out the whole album:

The album came out today. Only listened to this bonus cover so far, tonight I will check out the whole album:

I love Matt Barlow. I love Chris Cornell. These are two voices that should never cross paths.

Christ, that cover sucks. Freddie is an atrocious guitar player.

Iryo, I personally think it's an awesome cover, although I never listened to the original much.

That's not my favourite Barlow voice. Strained hard middle register stuff. I hear a resonating throat, rather than vocal chords. Not a nice sound.

I... don't like the album at all. Nothing stuck with me. Just completely forgettable. Every song sounds same-ish. Barlow giving it his all, but even he can't save this album.

Now holding out hope him and Schaffer do something like the Fates Warning guys. They have Fates Warning with Ray Alder on vocals while band leader Matheos has a band with the old vocalist John Arch called "Arch / Matheos".

Bring on "Schaffer / Barlow"!

He left because of uncertain income from touring with a band and to stay with his kids at home. Don't think that will change any time soon.

Then I reckon your best chance of being in his presence is to find out exactly which county of which state he polices in, go there, hire a car, then break the fuck out of the speed limit and hope that Officer Barlow pulls you over. Then make it seem like you have drugs on your person so that he searches you.

New Ashes of Ares EP out December 18th.

064C6E37-AE7D-4EC3-BFE0-EEE1150EA3DB.jpeg

Side A:
1. Throne of Iniquity

Side B:
1. 25 or 6 to 4 (Chicago cover)
2. Dust in the Wind (Kansas cover)

It’s not much more than a glorified single from the looks of it. The only song I really like from them is Soul Searcher, an underrated, bluesy number that really has a cool take on the vampire genre. I don’t expect too much from this, but Barlow’s performances are unlikely to disappoint and I’m interested in hearing those covers.

First album had some cool songs, but weird production. Second album was total trainwreck bar Barlow. Music just didn't fit his voice at all and the production was bad.

I don't know, I liked Consuming The Mana and Soul Searcher. Unworthy was ok too.

I don't remember any of the other songs though - Have only listened to the album once. I thought the production was decent for a self producing endeavour. The biggest problem though was the presence/upper mids in the vocals. That didn't fit his voice at all.

Back