Man on the Edge

How good is Man on the Edge on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Man On The Edge' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'man On The Edge'

One of the shorter and faster songs on the album, but it doesn't really have the same impact as some of the other songs. It's still a good song and a decent single.

'man On The Edge'

It's interesting, in my opinion, that the lyrics describe the basic setting of the controversial but awesome film "Falling Down" in detail (the main character losing his temper in the car stuck in the traffic jam, as well has his mental state and the reasons for it), but the whole happenings in it are being put off with one line:

Across the city he leaves in his wake

And what he does in detail gets not a mention at all. I think it is evident that Blaze (I believe he wrote the words alone) understood the film and it's message correctly, unlike many people I know and who regard this as more of a comedy with a social message (I tend to regard it as a social film with some more or less funny moments).
It could however also be that Iron Maiden spared us the details because the film caused quite a lot of controversy because some believed it to be racist, as the main character is beating the crap out of members of large minority groups such as Asians and Latin Americans (obviously not regarding the fact that he also goes after a nazi- it's a while since I last saw this film, so I don't remember what happened to him, though I think he got killed). Of course, any sensible viewer will realize that there is no racist message in the film, and the main character just goes after anybody who is not himself. I doubt not wanting to be pulled into the stream of such accusations was in the band's intentions -not to mention that Iron Maiden has never cared for political correctness. I rather think they wanted to emphasize the film's message with this song, and perhaps also point it out to those who misunderstood it.
In any case, this song does justice to the film, and it's certainly prime headbanging material. Four and a half stars- I don't really think the intro fits.

'man On The Edge'

A really great song that is justified by its position on BOTB. Unlike Perun, I do think the intro fits. The slow start, followed by the excellent drumming and toe-tappingly good guitars, is an axcellent way to start the song.

Listen to this and the BLAZE songs like Ghost in the Machine or Leap of Faith, there are obvious similarities.

I think this is a brilliant song with an awesome chorus. One of the best songs of the Blaze era.

'man On The Edge'

A few additions have been made to the commentary of 'Man On The Edge'. Let me know what you think and how you think I could make it better. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

Daily Song: Man on the Edge

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Man on the Edge

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This is a good little rocker, but it isn't great. I don't think it approaches great, unlike Lord of the Flies. The X Factor is not strong for its fast rock sound, but for its slow melodies and deep brooding atmosphere. LotF translates that into a faster pace; this song feels like "the token Maiden rock track". I liked it more when I was first getting into the band, but now? 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: Man on the Edge

7 out of 10... A pretty good rocker and Blaze's vocal fits the tune well. Good guitar work. I can't get too excited over this one though...

The worst track off The X Factor, but that's not saying anything. A good, fast-paced rocker that is fun and energetic. I enjoy this one a lot, I just think it drops a bit in comparison with the rest of the album. It feels a bit shallow here. 8/10.

8. A guy had heard it on the radio and told me at school that the song was great and the new singer was great; I was already almost pissing my pants to listen to it, but I only listened to it when I bought the album; great song with aggressive solos and that instrumental passage before the solos is the showcase of how Janick is a brilliant songwriter. Amazing!

A bit of (realtively) light relief before the album gets into the really heavy stuff, this song does what it sets out to do very well, and is a good Maiden rocker. 7/10

Fast does not equal light. This is the mirror image of Virus in Maiden’s exquisite twin studies of rage. While that one seethes and simmers under a cold exterior, there is no such mask here. This is a shotgun-toting, bat-swinging, rampaging horde of a song, plowing down everything stupid enough to stand in its way. Raw aggression in its most honest form. Nine.

It fits in well with the flow of the album and a bit of a surprise it was not the 1st track.  It's a fun rockers, sounded good with Blaze and Bruce singing it.  Thankfully when Steve was going to the movies in 1993 he picked Falling Down over the Coneheads ...  I enjoy it and give it a 7. 

I've spoken against this track and especially its chorus in the past, but it has grown on me.  It's energetic and great to sing along to live.  A low 8.

Man on the Edge, I do not find it the worst (or least good) song from this album, because that credit goes to another song of side A. It took a while to decide on the grade but in the end I decided to give an 8 (instead of 7).

In the beginning I had to get used to Blaze's voice (this was my first encounter with him) but later I got used to it.
A great energetic track, with some aggressive riffs and I love the build-up before that solo section. Also Jan's solo itself takes an aggressive route without getting muddy. I like that edgy(!) guitar work!

I always remember how my second Maiden gig started. With this song, only seeing and hearing Nicko, making contact with the audience, standing behind his kit, and then starting with this intro.  :edmetal:

It's pretty good. It's the "happiest" song on the album, but even it has that feeling of depression and despair that goes through the album, I'll give it a 7, because it's about as good as LotF.

Let's not forget a certain other song from this album, which starts moody, but continues as the most cheerful song from the record. Whooo hoo hoo !

By the way, I just listened to my four least favourite songs and have decided that I find Man on the Edge the best from that group. Why I find those other three worse, I should explane that in the upcoming topics.

Judgment of Heaven?

8/10. Great song and a damn good movie (not that the rating of the song should be influenced by this).

Back