Maiden's Atlanta Crowd

EvilThing

Prowler
So, I'm still trying to digest finally seeing Maiden for the first time. Of course, the whole show was great. The music, the pyro, Ice Monster Eddie, Alice Cooper, everything. Now I'm looking forward to the next tour. I'm absolutely gonna see them again.

That brings me to this question. Does anyone know how many people were in attendance for the Atlanta show? Also, would it be considered a good sized crowd for an American Maiden show? Do you think it met the bands expectations? Bruce said something about the size of the crowd but I couldn't make out what it was. The venue looked like it was almost filled to capacity but I'd like to know the exact number that was there.

I'm hoping it was enough of a success for them to hit up Atlanta more often. Of course, I'll take a road trip to see them if they don't.

I'm not sure about the Atlanta show specifically, but I'd say the average size for an American Maiden concert is anywhere from 10,000-15,000 at most amphitheaters (then again, it depends on the venue. If they played at a popular stadium, for example, in a popular city, the attendance could reach 20-25,000 at least)

I don't know how much you can trust wikipedia, but the 'Somewhere Back In Time World Tour' page very accurately (as far as I can tell) lists the attendance to just about every show that tour. And as you can see, the average attendance for the US/Canada shows were anywhere from 12,000-17,000 mainly. Some breached 20,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somewhere_Back_in_Time_World_Tour

Also, as much as I hate admitting it, the crowd's involvement in the concert depends on exactly what Iron Maiden are playing. Back in 2008 during Somewhere Back In Time, that was one of the GREATEST crowds I'd ever experienced at a concert (I was at Chicago). There was crowd-wide singing going on to just about every song, and the cheers between songs was almost deafening. Which is why I was rather disappointed with the crowd in 2010, when they played mainly just newer songs. Again, I was in Chicago. and the crowd was mainly just standing in place, watching the show on stage, giving not-so-enthused cheers between songs. I was hoping these weren't the same people who were at the 2008 show with me, because that they weren't that into it (assuming because it was all newer songs) made me very angry.

Considering this set list is mainly classics again, and from the videos I've seen from the first two shows, the crowd really seems into it again. I just can't wait until July 5... 10 more days...

Thanks! I think the Atlanta venue holds 19000. It looked pretty full but there were some empty seats here and there and it was a little hard to tell exactly how full the lawn was. Bruce did comment on the crowd being a lot bigger than their last visit to the south so I guess that's good. I just hope they'll add Atlanta to the usual American tour stops. One show there would cover the Southeast nicely.

I never understand why some fans aren't excited about the new material. I love the classics as much as anybody and I would love to hear some of their rare gems but we're very lucky that they're still firing on all cylinders. Look at other bands their age. I can't think of many that are putting out quality records like Maiden.

Anyway, I'm so happy that I finally got to see them. There's no way I'm gonna miss another tour after that. It's just a question of where I'm gonna go to see them on the next go around.

I hope you enjoy the show on the 5th!

When I saw the Brave New world tour in Vancouver there might have been 6,000 people there.
For Final Frontier the 18,000 seat arena was packed.
The big difference was the crowd in 2000 was all 30-somethings.
In 2010 there was just as many teens as old-timers. The band has created a whole new generation of fans.
Think there are only single tickets left for this summer's show.

Bruce announced the crowd at 14,000 for Atlanta, it was impressive, looked packed. Very animated crowd, hot as hell in there, drove up from St Pete and it was well worth it.

I was at San Manuel amphitheater in San Bernardino Mtns., {45 min east of Los Angeles} in 2010 for FF leg 1. Bruce estimated during the show that were at least 25,000 at the gig. I'd say there were more like 30,000 or more. The venue is enormous and has a gigantic park setting high above the seats. I'm telling you there were 20,000 up there alone. It was freaking packed with all ages and all plugged in. This time around L.A will get two nights, at Irvine, which is a smaller venue. Usually we get close to 20,000 + Maiden fans in Irvine, but almost always get two shows. Then again California is big time Maiden territory.

I was at San Manuel amphitheater in San Bernardino Mtns., {45 min east of Los Angeles} in 2010 for FF leg 1. Bruce estimated during the show that were at least 25,000 at the gig. I'd say there were more like 30,000 or more. The venue is enormous and has a gigantic park setting high above the seats. I'm telling you there were 20,000 up there alone. It was freaking packed with all ages and all plugged in. This time around L.A will get two nights, at Irvine, which is a smaller venue. Usually we get close to 20,000 + Maiden fans in Irvine, but almost always get two shows. Then again California is big time Maiden territory.
According to Wikipedia The venue has a possible capacity of 46,410, but at that show there was a bit over 21,000 heres the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Frontier_World_Tour

Well, I don't live and die with Wiki and there 'facts'. I've been to 21,000 fan shows, and there were more than that there that night. If not, then the 10 $12.00 beers and 2 hour tailgate party did more to my depth perception than I thought!:p
Anyway, It was a huge party, and August cannot get here soon enough so we can do it all again!!

I never understand why some fans aren't excited about the new material.

Iron Maiden can never satisfy some of their fans: When they play newer songs, fans complain that they aren't playing classics. When they play the classics, those same fans complain that they heard those songs before.

Some fans are a little spoiled I think. I guess if you get to see Maiden on EVERY tour you get kinda jaded and lose sight of how special it is to have a band like this functioning on such a high level. I love the new material as much as I love the old material. Seriously, who would want Maiden to stop recording? Look at what became of KISS during the period when they weren't putting out new records. They got sad, really sad. I don't want that for Maiden. I like to think that they'll follow Dio's lead and stay active right up until it's no longer possible.

Hahaha, I actually liked the last KISS album. They're not making musically important music or breaking new ground like Maiden but they're fun. I've got tickets for their Birmingham show at the end of the month. Really doubt they'll come anywhere near Maiden and Alice cooper or Megadeth but it should be a fun night. Maybe a little sad too but mostly fun.

Last album wasn't bad. But the band is still a joke.

Back