Maidenfans Users' Choice Awards

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
Well, since the year has rolled its slovenly carcass to the end of the calendar, let's have a little award ceremony (no, not that kind of ceremony, thank you very much) to celebrate.

Best regular member: Perun
Best new member (joined in this year): Natalie
Best thread: "Let's Get 100,000 replies", it just can't be beaten, even the last word wasn't a match for it.
Member who left whom you wished would return: Charlottle
Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone: Bunkle
Funniest member: Yax
Most metal member: Hunlord
Most un-metal member: Err...I think that's me.
Most xhardcorex member: I have no idea why I put this one in. No, really.
Dumbest member: Superfly
Best avatar: Me of course, omg Francine <3.
Your top 3 albums of the year:
Necrophobic - Hrimthursum
Drawn & Quartered - Hail Infernal Darkness
Summoning - Oath Bound
Disappointing album of the year: Suffocation - s/t (without Cerrito they're just typical br00thul deff methul)

First off I would like to say thank you for nominating me best new member of the year (although I'm not sure I deserve that title, think of others like Genghis Khan), and secondly I would like to say...how can you put a top three albums of the year list that doesn't contain A Matter of Life and Death on an Iron Maiden fan site?! Sacrilege! :lol:

P.S. I would hereby like to thank each and every single (intelligent) member of this forum for making it the greatest (most intelligent, most interesting, most amusing) forum EVER. Cheers people. :cheers:

Natalie said:
And secondly I would like to say...how can you put a top three albums of the year list that doesn't contain A Matter of Life and Death on an Iron Maiden fan site?! Sacrilege! :lol:

Well, the power of 666 posts forced me to perpetuate this unholy act of necrotic blasphemy. BLASPHEMATE! >:[ I haven't gottten around to it, honestly. What with being busy and all that jazz.

Oh and here's some br00tality.

Calm down people, this doesn't increase my post count.

I "uhmmed" and "arghed" about this one for a while and came to these conclusions:

A lot of regular contributors (old and new) deserve a mention - but there is so many of 'em that actually make me smile/think/laugh/whatever when I read their posts. I think Nat summed it up nicely:

Natalie said:
I would hereby like to thank each and every single (intelligent) member of this forum for making it the greatest (most intelligent, most interesting, most amusing) forum EVER. Cheers people.

Basically, the regular posters here are regular because folk on here like what they have to say, so hats off to you all. :D

However - "Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone" - I don't care for this one too much. If they can post with some sort of comprehension, I'm OK with it - even if they have an opinion different from others. But I rarely stop to read posts littered with txt speak, other than that - let them speak.

And - "Dumbest member" - That bloke who had prussian blue (or whatever) as his avatar. Trouble is, he wasn't that dumb - just ignorant in his choice of pic.

But the best avatar has to be my dog. :D

As for albums of 2006: Tristania, Korpiklaani and of course Maiden have released some goodies this year. I have Summoning's Oath Bound, but have yet to form an opinion.

Best regular member: Albie
Best new member: Natalie
Best thread: "Let's Get 100,000 replies"..agreed, it's the epitome of awesomeness.
Member who left whom you wished would return: Didn't really know anybody who left, but I was sad whenever Mav stopped posting for a while
Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone: Maiden Forever
Funniest member: Conor
Most un-metal member: Umm....
Dumbest member: Maiden Forever
Best avatar: SMX
Unfortunately, I didn't get enough of the albums released this year to form an opinion.  What do you think of the new Tristania, Albie?  I may look into their new LP, but I don't think it could top Beyond the Veil.
Disappointing album of the year: Again, I didn't buy enough albums.  What I heard of Christ Illusion was pretty mediocre, though, but I didn't expect it to be good :D

Best new member: Genghis Khan
Best thread: "The Last Word"
Member who left whom you wished would return: Charlotte
Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone: Prowler-I'm so immature-Grig
Funniest member: This one's hard... I'd choose either Black Dragon or Natalie
Most un-metal member: ...  :huh:
Dumbest member: parawhore (Ex-member)
Best avatar: Albie (I love dogs!)
Your top 3 albums of the year: A Matter of Life and Death (That's the only 2006 release album I've bought this year..)
Disappointing album of the year: Just choose a popalbum.

Raven, I know what you mean about Mav - I do miss his posts every no and then. But I'm sure he's still around keeping an eye on us. And thanks for the nominations to you and Yax. :ok:

Seems some of us find 2006 a mediocre year for releases - could it be we just too wrapped up in the Maiden release to look elsewhere? But to answer your question on Tristania Raven, it is a good album but (in my opinion) it will never top World of Glass - a stunning album. I too have not purchased many 2006 releases (I've yet to get Christs Illusion) so they remain my faves from a very short list.

Albie said:
Seems some of us find 2006 a mediocre year for releases - could it be we just too wrapped up in the Maiden release to look elsewhere?

There just weren't that many releases by bands that I'm familiar with.  2007 will be much better, by the looks of things; new Judas Priest, Dark Tranquillity, Nightwish, Megadeth, Therion, Sabbat re-issues and more! :D

But to answer your question on Tristania Raven, it is a good album but (in my opinion) it will never top World of Glass - a stunning album.

I've heard some of World of Glass, and I like it quite a bit.  But I think the balance on Beyond the Veil was perfect, especially the way Vibeke's vocals were used to complement Morten's growls/clean vocals, rather than as a main piece of the band...that set them apart from other Symphonic/Gothic bands, for me.

Erm, I have no idea were I got this impression that Ashes was released in 2006! Maybe it was that I got it in 2006 when it was actually released in 2005*. :huh:

Still, it's a good album - but they've done better. New one out within the next few months though.

@Raven: Thing about Tristania I really like is Vibeke vocals - they are so pure. The more the better, I say. :D

* Or could it be that as you progress in years, one year blurs into the next.

Albie said:
Erm, I have no idea were I got this impression that Ashes was released in 2006! Maybe it was that I got it in 2006 when it was actually released in 2005*. :huh:

Still, it's a good album - but they've done better. New one out within the next few months though.

@Raven: Thing about Tristania I really like is Vibeke vocals - they are so pure. The more the better, I say. :D

* Or could it be that as you progress in years, one year blurs into the next.

Hmmm...I thought you were talking about Illumination, as many have already heard the leak, and have posted their comments on other boards. :D

Best thread: "The wonders of evolutionary biology and their practical aspects".  Thanks to all who contributed to this thread: Onhell, Owly, Natalie, LooseCannon, Anomica, Albie, Mav and others...
Member who left whom you wished would return: Where has IronDuke gone in the last month?  School can't be that important?  Can it?  (I'm saying this and my classes begin tomorrow).  Also, Maverick doesn't post as much.
Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone: Maiden Forever.  Intolerance and bigotry suck.
Funniest member: Raven
Most metal member: Whoever has the most posts in Metal For Life News and under Commentary.
Most un-metal member: No one deserves this.
Dumbest member: Maiden Forever
Best avatar: 1st:new member Invader  2nd:SMX  3rd:Mav
1st: A Matter of Life and Death
Would you believe it is the only new CD I have bought this year?

EDIT:
Most knowledgeable poster: (Three way tie  :p) Perun, LC and Duke.

Genghis Khan said:
Best thread: "The wonders of evolutionary biology and their practical aspects".  Thanks to all who contributed to this thread: Onhell, Owly, Natalie, LooseCannon, Anomica, Albie, Mav and others...

*sighs* You traitor! You were "supposed" to vote for a madness thread... Blasphemer!

Yax said:
*sighs* You traitor! You were "supposed" to vote for a madness thread... Blasphemer!

And who's talking? The leading spokesperson of the Church of Murray?  ::)

Just so that everyone knows, I'm not posting a list of 'Best Members' because I don't feel I've been here long enough to judge.

Well, this is all highly relative anyway.  Depends on who you're online with the most.

@ Yax: "H" rules!  Murray knows this.  :p

Genghis Khan said:
Well, this is all highly relative anyway.  Depends on who you're online with the most.

@ Yax: "H" rules!  Murray knows this.  :p

H rules, but Murray rules over him. And H knows that.  :huh:

Everywhere I go nowadays I see some sort of spam posts alluding to either H or Murray. Not one thread remains unsullied by the spam.  <_<

Therefore I shall continue the spam and say: Murray might rule over H, but H rules to the left, right, bottom and center.

Natalie said:
Murray might rule over H, but H rules to the left, right, bottom and center.

But he does so, only because Murray lets him! And it is Murray he answers to, so Murray is in control of everything!  <_<

Yax said:
But he does so, only because Murray lets him! And it is Murray he answers to, so Murray is in control of [/b]everything![/b]  <_<

H made you typo, in order to show the fallibility of your 'Murray'. :D

I won't fill out this poll, as you all know I don't post too much.
But I'd like to take that opportunity to thank a few people on here that made last year once again special and that I consider good friends: The_Owl, Perun, Argarath and - yes I do miss him - Maverick.

As some of you have said, it's also sad to see Charlotte disappear, as we used to chat alot but now I haven't heard from her in ages...

Also a BIG cheers to Hunlord, one of the coolest... no, the MOST METAL guy ever on here! I dare to say we've become really good friends over the past few months and I can't wait to meet him in person (Portugal!!!)

Then there is national_acrobat, also a really really nice bloke :) We had a brilliant time in London at the Ruskin Arms, at the Maiden Gig and at the Ibis party, together with Perun that is, so Nush, I'm having a coke on you here ;)

I'd also like to greet Sneaky (and his cute friend ;)), Albie, syl and all the others I met from this board during the Maiden gigs. It has been great to meet you all, and I hope we'll see us again next tour! Or maybe on the Nomad Soul Pale Horizons World Tour somewhere near you ;)

And last but not least a big cheers to everyone I haven't met from this forum yet, but are still damn cool ;)
You all rock out there, I love this place (even if I don't post much, I read most of the stuff, and it's a good way to kill some time)

So yeah, Cheers, Up the Irons, May the Force be with you and Hail the NS!

First of all I'd like to say a huge thanks to all of you who voted me the Most Metal Member, I'll try to do you all proud in future events. ;)

I have gotten to know alot of people from these boards over the past year and I'd like to say thanks to them, each for their own contribution.

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everyone that frequents that Chatroom, Per, SMX, Shade etc. You're all a great bunch and loads of fun when a wrestling/meatspin n00b comes in! ;)

Secondly, all the forum regluars who help make this place the wonderful site that it is, Black Dragon, Perun, Albie, Silky, too many more to name and those who aren't around as much as they once were, Mav and others.

Finally, a special mention to Freaky, the nicest and soundest guy on the internet, and I don't say that lightly. ;) I personally can't wait to rip up Portugal with you this summer. A really cool guy and a great mate.

Without further adieu:

Best thread: "Let's Get 100,000 replies"
Member who left whom you wished would return: Mav, but I don't think he's really gone
Member who left/was banned and you're glad they're gone: Maiden Forever
Funniest member: Black Dragon in many of his links and posts
Most metal member: Raven
Most un-metal member: Umm....
Dumbest member: CotG *shudders*
A Matter Of Life And Death - Maiden
Straight Outta Lynwood - Weird Al Yankovic
Glyder - Glyder

Back