Maidenfans Rankings

Severian

Have a good time, all the time!
I took the average song-by-song rating of each album on maidenfans and noticed something about the sites album rankings:

01) Brave New World
02) Somewhere In Time
03) The Final Frontier
04) A Matter of Life and Death
05) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
06) Piece of Mind
07) Dance of Death
08) Powerslave
09) The Number of the Beast
10) Iron Maiden
11) Killers
12) Virtual XI
13) The X Factor
14) No Prayer for the Dying
15) Fear of the Dark

Seems to be a lean towards the later albums
clear.png

There's always some sort of an attachment to albums whose release you had to wait for. And most members here became fans during the reunion era, like myself.

I think next time we do this there will be less favor toward the reunion albums. Those albums aren't as fresh anymore and I've noticed more people preferring the 80s have been coming out of the woodwork than when we did this last. Some predictions:

• Somewhere In Time will be the highest ranking, BNW will be lower than AMOLAD but still high, close to top 5.
  • TFF will be way lower, probably ranked somewhere in the middle.
  • AMOLAD will be the only reunion album to crack top 5
  • X Factor will move up a bit, will probably do better than both Virtual and Killers
  • Powerslave will be top 3
  • Dance of Death will be lower

All those polls will be re-started by LooseCannon when the new album comes out. Keep in mind that most of the votes cast are from people no longer here.

I still find this forum's love for SiT a little bizarre. Maybe it's because at the time it was "just" another great Maiden album coming out. I find it odd the way it sticks out from that 80s group now for most people.

I think it just achieved a cult status with hardcore fans. It was like that on the official BB too back when that was up. I think it has a lot to do with most of the songs being rare live so there are a lot of "hidden gems" there.

'Cult status' is how I'd describe it too. I'd always thought a lot of the popular Maiden following raved more about the previous 80s albums, while Maiden connoisseurs, so to speak, those who spend a lot of time analysing it all on forums :innocent: rate SIT higher.

I wouldn't be surprised if enthusiasm has dwindled slightly for BNW. At least part of its appeal was that whole reunion thing, and that's very old news now.

I think next time we do this there will be less favor toward the reunion albums. Those albums aren't as fresh anymore and I've noticed more people preferring the 80s have been coming out of the woodwork than when we did this last. Some predictions:

• Somewhere In Time will be the highest ranking, BNW will be lower than AMOLAD but still high, close to top 5.
  • TFF will be way lower, probably ranked somewhere in the middle.
  • AMOLAD will be the only reunion album to crack top 5
  • X Factor will move up a bit, will probably do better than both Virtual and Killers
  • Powerslave will be top 3
  • Dance of Death will be lower
Seems like a decent prediction list; I'd agree with all of that.

Probably not much more than any other Maiden album. BNW was loved when it came out and that never seemed to wear off.

Don't look at me, on average I prefer the post-Reunion stuff to the pre-Reunion stuff. Just how I feel about it. My personal album ranking goes:
1) BNW
2) Powerslave
3) AMOLAD
4) The X Factor
5) TFF
6) The Number of the Beast
7) VXI
8) Piece of Mind
9) Seventh Son
10) Somewhere in Time
11) Killers
12) Dance of Death
13) Iron Maiden
14) Fear of the Dark
15) No Prayer For the Dying

But that could change tomorrow.

All those polls will be re-started by LooseCannon when the new album comes out. Keep in mind that most of the votes cast are from people no longer here.
All the polls are kept, however, and go into a historical poll-of-polls ranking. Which I am going to start arbitrarily assigning decreasing weighting to.

I could probably never give a definitive ranking of all the albums, since I thoroughly do enjoy all 15 of them. Sure I would rather pick some over the others, but I can't rank them.

The only thing I can say though is that Somewhere in Time is my all time favorite music album, period.

1) SSOSS
2) Powerslave
3) SIT
4) POM
5) IRON MAIDEN
6) Killers
7) NOTB
8) FOTD
9) NPFTD
10) TFF
11) AMOLAD
12) DOD
13) BNW
14) VXI
15) TXF

Last edited:
Powerslave
Piece of mind
Killers
Somewhere in time
Seventh son of a seventh son
Iron maiden
The number of the beast
A matter of life and death
Brave new world
The x factor
Dance of death
Fear of the dark
No prayer for the dying
The final frontier
Virtual xi

I still find this forum's love for SiT a little bizarre. Maybe it's because at the time it was "just" another great Maiden album coming out. I find it odd the way it sticks out from that 80s group now for most people.
Do you all have a plan to immediately restart them when the album releases, or wait a few months? I think people need time to let the new album sink in and not just give their first impressions.

I'm only through VXI but SiT is my favorite album thus far. It's truly amazing from start to finish.

Back