Maiden Tour 2014 (SPOILER TAGS REQUIRED WITHIN)

The actual Turkish word for square/battlefield is "meydan", megdan is a Serbian derivation I think.

I'm sure there are a lot of military related terms in English derived from French, too, certainly historical ones.

Meydan or megdan essentially means square/field in Turkish anyway. Battlefield would be "savaş meydanı" as the word for battle is "savaş".
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was wondering where that "battlefield" came from.

I think Turkish meydan derives from Arabic maidan. It is used in Persian, too. And that's why we had protests on al-Maidan at-Tahrir in Cairo, and why we have a civil war on the Maidan in Kiev.

I think Turkish meydan derives from Arabic maidan. It is used in Persian, too. And that's why we had protests on al-Maidan at-Tahrir in Cairo, and why we have a civil war on the Maidan in Kiev.

Yeah, probably. Obviously a very common word in Eastern Europe and Western Asia.

I always get furious when the news report on clashes on Kiev's "Maidan Square".

Would that explain why the Ukrainians can't seem to get their act together?

By the way, there's no chance meydan is originally a Turkish word because it doesn't follow the back vowel/front vowel rule in Turkish. In an originally Turkish word letters "e" and "a" cannot be featured together, also two consonants cannot stand next to each other unless there's an haplology.

Exactly, it conflicts with the vowel harmony in Turkish. The pronunciation is clearly Persian, but I'm still pretty sure it's originally Arabic.

Hooray! Just bought the tickets to Brno (8th June). Having seen the Prague show last year I'm looking forward to comparing the shows. If the talk about changes in the playlist means they will play LOTLDR, CSIT or Sea of Madness live I'm going to lick Bruce's and 'arry's sneakers :D (I'm pretty sure they won't, so I could pretty much promise anything :) ).

Back