Maiden Sequels - Pilgrim/Talisman?

Chartwell

Trooper
It seems to me that Maiden tend to do a lot of sequels to their songs - I would argue that Powerslave is the biggest offender, with The Duellists (sequel to Flash of the Blade) and Back in the Village (Prisoner)... maybe sequels isn't the right terminology, as they don't tend to flow directly, but it seems like they hit the same subject matter very closely. And of course, there's the Charlotte trilogy.

My question is, listening to the Pilgrim a lot lately, could you see the Talisman being the sequel song? Talking about leaving for the religious freedom, and then making the journey?

Are there any other sequels/reduxs that you guys think Maiden has done?

Its a cool idea, but I don't think the pilgrim/talisman one is actually true. Would be awesome though.

NightProwler666 said:
Tetralogy ;) Charlotte The Harlot, 22 Acacia Avanue, Hooks In You, From Here To Eternity.

Pentagram  =O    Charlotte the harlt, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hooks in you, Bring your daughter... to the slaughter, From Here to Eternity.

jonnytron said:
Pentagram  =O     Charlotte the harlt, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hooks in you, Bring your daughter... to the slaughter, From Here to Eternity.

BYDTTS has nothing to do with the Charlotte saga, as it was written by Bruce, away from Maiden, for the Nightmare on Elm Street 5 soundtrack.  As it stands, it's a quadrilogy.  :bigsmile:

I'd even say that the link between HIY/FHTE and the Charlotte saga is weak.

In Hooks In You, the only thing that points to "Charlotte" is the mention of number 22, but the guy in the song says he's got the keys to number 22 - that doesn't make sense if 22 AA is to be understood as the place Charlotte takes her customers. It feels more like they threw 22 in the song just for the sake of having a reference. There's nothing else in the lyrics to build links to the two first, who are closely linked to each other.

As for From Here To Eternity, the mentioning of "Charlotte" again feels unrelated to the subject matter of the first two songs. There's nothing to point to "Charlotte" as a prostitute, in fact, the song shares nothing with the two first songs except for the name Charlotte.

That being said, HIY and FHTE are by far the most innuendo-filled Maiden songs, so it's obvious that the band were indirectly revisiting the two first "Charlotte" songs in some sense. I just don't see that they belong together to any bigger extent than that.

Eddies Wingman said:
In Hooks In You, the only thing that points to "Charlotte" is the mention of number 22, but the guy in the song says he's got the keys to number 22 - that doesn't make sense if 22 AA is to be understood as the place Charlotte takes her customers. It feels more like they threw 22 in the song just for the sake of having a reference. There's nothing else in the lyrics to build links to the two first, who are closely linked to each other.

Unless you consider Bruce's inspiration for the song. In that case, Charlotte may have moved out and now somebody else is viewing it.

Good point. What was that about? Actual hooks in the ceiling of a house Bruce saw once?

I once had this funny idea that whereas Bruce though of BDSM when he saw those hooks, they had in reality been used for hanging big model aeroplanes from the ceiling  :D

Bruce and Paddy were looking for a place and found this house with meathooks in the ceiling that were used by some gay fellows for BDSM. Rob Halford not rumoured to be involved.

Sequels.... Musically, Dream Of Mirrors, Dance Of Death, The Legacy, and The Talisman are similar. I can expect another like song on the next album.

Chartwell said:
The Duellists (sequel to Flash of the Blade)

Wat?

I've never thought of those as anything like a sequel pair. Your others, you could at least make a case - but these only share similarities of subject matter. That's not enough for a sequel. Look how many songs Maiden has done about war - is Paschendale a sequel to The Trooper?

I knew that was going to be a question, why I mentioned that "sequel" might not be the best word... more like a reprise?

Regardless, it sounds to me like Pilgrim/Talisman continues a storyline, while Flash/Duellists is more like a re-telling/re-boot of the same story.

And given that the Crimean War started to cement the alliance system that led to the First World War, you could say that Passchendale is a sequel to the Trooper :) Of course, Aces High and Tailgunner thus are sequels to that...

I find Flash and Duelists similar, but not for those reasons. Just because of where they are on the album and some minor musical similarities.

Chartwell said:
Regardless, it sounds to me like Pilgrim/Talisman continues a storyline,

Not really, the pilgrim is about people going east, whilst the Talisman is about people going west. Unless it's the people from the pilgrim going back to their homeland's again :p I'm pretty sure the Talisman is about the colonization of America though whilst the Pilgrim is to do with the crusades.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't Montsegur about the Crusades as well?

Stallion Duck said:
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't Montsegur about the Crusades as well?

Not if you mean the Crusades to the Middle East. Montsegur is about the Catholic authorities eliminating the Cathars, which they considered to be heretics.

Stallion Duck said:
I find Flash and Duelists similar, but not for those reasons. Just because of where they are on the album and some minor musical similarities.

They are back to back songs about sword fighting.  Not a sequel, but still connected.

Stallion Duck said:
Sequels.... Musically, Dream Of Mirrors, Dance Of Death, The Legacy, and The Talisman are similar. I can expect another like song on the next album.

Other than being cowritten by Gers how are these songs at all similar?  Sure they feature calm intros but so do most Maiden songs these days.  From a melody standpoint, Blood Brothers, No More Lies, For the Greater Good of God and When the Wild Wind Blows are also similarly related.

Eddies Wingman said:
Not if you mean the Crusades to the Middle East. Montsegur is about the Catholic authorities eliminating the Cathars, which they considered to be heretics.
Yea I meant the Catholic ones.
@Donner I could agree with that. But the Ger's songs have similar structures and classical esque intros.

Back