Maiden old or new

Which is the better material old or new

• Old

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • New

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
You should get an avatar Tyrus, and also come join some of the other topics here on the forums or people will think you're a troll :)

Studio albums and songwriting: Old. The debut through SSOASS is still one of the best seven album streaks by any band, ever.
Live: New. Bruce is much more consistent and the guys look like they're having more fun.

Studio albums and songwriting: Old. The debut through SSOASS is still one of the best seven album streaks by any band, ever.
Live: New. Bruce is much more consistent and the guys look like they're having more fun.
Valid point about the 7. However in the event of a further 2 maiden albums being released would you say that's the best 7 album streak ever or would you stick as is.

Valid point about the 7. However in the event of a further 2 maiden albums being released would you say that's the best 7 album streak ever or would you stick as is.

Good question. It would probably depend on the next on how the next two are.

I really like the last five reunion era albums for the most part. My only hang-up is with "The Final Frontier". It's good, but there are parts that are a bit too plodding for me. Brave New World, however, is one my favorites in the entire catalog.

I think the separating factor with the old stuff for me boils down to production and pace. Birch's production sounds fuller, richer, and ultimately heavier to my ears (I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Birch did't fear reverb like Shirley does - Shirley is obsessed with making the band sound like they're playing in a garage whereas Birch's style was more "atmospheric". I couldn't imagine SIT being as good with Shirley at the helm. That would have been a disaster). Also, the songs haul ass in places on the older records. Maiden was obviously never a speed metal band, but stuff like the bridge on "Another Life", the solos on "The Number of the Beast", the verse on "Caught Somewhere in Time", and the outro and verses on "Only the Good Die Young" (to name a few examples) just move with a sense of urgency and speed that I don't hear much from the newer stuff. I think the band has gotten close with certain sections of songs (e.g. "The Red and the Black") or full tunes like "Death or Glory" and "Ghost of the Navigator", but nothing quite like the 80s.

But having said all of that, I still enjoy the new era, and I really like Book of Souls. I think it's cool that we can even have this debate. For most bands, it wouldn't even be worth talking about because the answer would be too obvious. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
My listening cycles vary from listening to my chronologically ordered playlist of all but the Bayley albums start to finish (Prowler to Empire of the Clouds) to focusing on one album for a while.

I have to say that Somewhere in Time was my first Maiden album and a big reason why I became a fan, later albums like The Final Frontier really grew on me and I find myself, when I focus on a single album, listening to post-reunion era material more than any of the older albums except for Piece if Mind.

Then. . . I rediscover Powerslave (the album) and holy shit, that's all I listen to for a week. Or I'll start singing "The Prisoner" to myself when I'm bored and it's The Number of the Beast album on repeat for a few days.

So, it's a bit eggy, innit? Can't say, dunno, really, depends on my mood.
I had some good advice from a fellow maiden fan. Get all the albums (including the blaze era) and shuffle the songs. The result is awesome. For me it's been the best way of listening.

Who the hell is Paul day and Dave Sullivan
Paul Day was Iron Maiden's first singer and Dave Sullivan was one of Maiden's first guitarists. Dave Sullivan and Terry Rance thought it would be insulting to their talent if Dave Murray joined the band so they were dropped. Jokes aside, Steve made a wise decision. Paul Day's voice was good according to some Maiden history I read but he didn't have enough energy on stage. For me, there is no debate I like both new and old

I do not know that many who really enjoy a lot from every album. Depending on what we call "a lot" I might join you Wayne!

When I say a lot I mean a lot :)

I listen to a lot of different bands and music but I can honestly say that I could put on any Maiden album at any time and really enjoy it without skipping hardly anything. In fact the only two songs I can say I really detest are gangland and satellite 15....which in fairness isn't really a song just an over long boring intro.

Theirs nothing else I really can't listen too. Fave albums are seventh son, piece of mind, X-factor, brave new world and AMOLAD.

For the benefit of this topic if you take old Maiden as being anything pre brave new world then if I was forced to choose if have to say old maiden is better simply because of the sheer number of albums compared to the 5 from the reunion line up. Plus 3 of my favourite ever maiden albums are pre have new world.

To me, Satellite 15 is there to make the payoff of listening to The Final Frontier (the song) that much better. Few things lift my spirits more than screaming "The final frontierrrr the final frontieeeer" at the top of my lungs along with that song in the car. It's almost like Sat 15 puts you in a lull and then The Final Frontier snaps you out of it.

For that reason, I've no complaints.

Gangland has some cool melodic bass cords at the beginning at least. I'm in the alternate universe Total Eclipse should've been that track on the album camp, though.

I'm hesitant to cherry pick songs I don't like but the opening lyrics to Quest for Fire take me a moment to get through but then I'm okay.

Satelite 15 was a ludicrous idea that should never have made it to the album, one could say, but at the same time, like you point to, The Final Frontier is the payoff for having to listen through Satelite 15.
Gangland is no classic obviously, but I don't mind listening to it. (Having that said it is pretty average, but at least there is some good energy there that makes it worth a listen once in a while.) Total Eclipse has, for me, always been a mediocre song. I know a lot of people love it, so I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I just never really "got"that song, it's always bored me somewhat. I actually prefer listening to Gangland.

as for the good vs old. I also love both. I love every album the band has done. I love the albums for what they are. Surely, some are clearly better than others, but I can find something to enjoy on every record. Take No Prayer or Fear Of The Dark. Obviously some of the songs are quite lackluster, but there are also lots of songs on there that, although they are "lightweight" Maiden and just don't hold up compared to the high water marks of The Golden Era, I still love them and enjoy. Actually, although The Number Of The Beast is considered a much better album, and probably is much better, objectively speaking, I find myself coming back to Fear and No Prayer way more often than I do the Number.

So all in all, although I feel that nothing can compare to The Golden Era records from 1983-1988, I still love everything they have done. I love that they have maintained their style and have always played the music they believe in (and never selling out), yet they have at the same time managed to develop their expression and have always gone forward. Up the irons, plain and simple!

i wouldn't choose songs I dislike because all of them have something to offer. But if I had to pick a few of my favourite songs I would say Wickerman, Longest Day, Blood Brothers, Brave New World, Dance of the Death, Pachendale, Empire of th Clouds, Tears of a Clown, and Coming Home to name but a few. All of these songs represent the most awesome metal of the 20th century and are better than anything released by any metal band of the same era. In summary I'm saying my favourite songs are from the post 2000. Compare any of those songs to say Hooks In You, Back in the Villiage, Gangland, Gengis Kharn and stuff like that then there is simply no comparison

I really can't pick a favorite Maiden period. All their albums are terrific and great on their own, and I listen equally much to both old and new albums.

Even if Killers, Powerslave and Somewhere in time are my favorites, I listen to Brave new world, dance of death and Book of souls just as much as their classic albums

Yep the terrible 90s was a shame. Best album of that time was fear of the dark. Worst album was virtual 11. But I think they've more than made up for that with the stunning return of Bruce and the brilliant albums ever since.

I voted old.

Since the 1980-88 period is very old, but very good and definitely the very best of the old.
The other old I don't know about.

As second best, maybe the Bruce solo years 1994-1998, but that's neither old nor new, and also not an option.

Of the new I think it's very hit or miss.
BNW was nice, DOD less so, AMOLAD was dense but sometimes very good, TFF was one of their lesser albums and with BOS the jury is still out, but I quite enjoy some of it.

But having said all of that, I still enjoy the new era, and I really like Book of Souls. I think it's cool that we can even have this debate. For most bands, it wouldn't even be worth talking about because the answer would be too obvious. Just my two cents.
Very true!

I've never heard about anyone who prefers Angel of retribution, Nostradamus and Redeemer of souls over old Judas Priest, Sonic boom and Monster over classic Kiss, Songs from the sparkle lounge and Def leppard over the old Def leppard albums, while many Maiden fans actually prefer their newer albums over the classic ones

Back