Maiden new album in 2014

Actually. I'd rather see Bruce on a solo tour, than a new album. I mean, I'd love a new album, but I also want to see him live. It's time, it's been a while since he last toured.

Actually. I'd rather see Bruce on a solo tour, than a new album. I mean, I'd love a new album, but I also want to see him live. It's time, it's been a while since he last toured.

I agree, there are some awesome songs that have not been played in a long time. Though I guess a new album and a tour would be the best of all worlds. But given a choice, I think I would take a tour at this point.

There's not really surprising they are not wanting to rush into a new recording. They are most likely going to take a loss on it, and without touring directly after they aren't making any money.
You nailed it big time! Bands like Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. have nothing to gain financially anymore be putting out new material. That's the shape of the music industry at the moment. These classic bands make their money in arena halls and meet and greets. With everybody downloading just singles and such, added to bootlegging sites, it makes them work for free when creating new music. The music industry is more interested in teeny bopper, crap, uh, RAP, excuse me, and hip hop sales then metal. Iron Maiden tour their asses off because that's where they make their money. I'll bet they make more money playing one night in Santiago than a months worth of record sales! So for everybody that has been complaining of the length of time for a new album, it's the music industry, not necessarily maidens fault. Even KISS released an album thru Walmart because Walmart paid them upfront for the rights to sell it. After KISS got their checks from Wally. World, they could care less about if it sells or not! :))

My hope is a new solo album for Bruce with related tour and then a new maiden's album, even if for the new maiden's album we should wait until 2015...but there is no problem for me !! :)

You nailed it big time! Bands like Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. have nothing to gain financially anymore be putting out new material. That's the shape of the music industry at the moment. These classic bands make their money in arena halls and meet and greets. With everybody downloading just singles and such, added to bootlegging sites, it makes them work for free when creating new music. The music industry is more interested in teeny bopper, crap, uh, RAP, excuse me, and hip hop sales then metal. Iron Maiden tour their asses off because that's where they make their money. I'll bet they make more money playing one night in Santiago than a months worth of record sales! So for everybody that has been complaining of the length of time for a new album, it's the music industry, not necessarily maidens fault. Even KISS released an album thru Walmart because Walmart paid them upfront for the rights to sell it. After KISS got their checks from Wally. World, they could care less about if it sells or not! :))

I'm not denying the general (and long term) tendency in the music industry, but isn't Maiden some kind of exception? I mean, they've reached the number one spot of many charts for The Final Frontier, something which would'nt have been possible without their fanbase keeping on buying records instead of dowloading them for free. I remember reading an article posted on a french site saying that Maiden fans tending to actually BUY the records.

I think most musicians/bands with a devoted fan base still can make a decent amount of money on record sales. However, reaching number one now isn't the same as reaching number one 15 years ago. I think the 80s albums sold more in absolute numbers, even though they rarely did reach #1.

And Maiden10_0: Please never compare Maiden to KISS and their Hello Kitty deals ... :nonono:

You nailed it big time! Bands like Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. have nothing to gain financially anymore be putting out new material. That's the shape of the music industry at the moment. These classic bands make their money in arena halls and meet and greets. With everybody downloading just singles and such, added to bootlegging sites, it makes them work for free when creating new music.

Pretty much nobody makes a profit off of album sales anymore. You take a loss on producing an album and hope that the album gets you attention and the money made from sales goes to the label helps you fund and get on tours. For everyone but the biggest artists in the world, that's how it goes.

The music industry is more interested in teeny bopper, crap, uh, RAP, excuse me, and hip hop sales then metal
Besides your ignorance, the whole point of the music industry is to produce and sell goods, music. You act like it's a single entity who decides what flavor of the month they're going after now. Who would've thought the most popular, profitable genres would get the most attention, right?
For the better part, metal and metal fans are still a minority; it's a niche genre when compared to other things.

Pretty much nobody makes a profit off of album sales anymore. You take a loss on producing an album and hope that the album gets you attention and the money made from sales goes to the label helps you fund and get on tours. For everyone but the biggest artists in the world, that's how it goes.

Besides your ignorance, the whole point of the music industry is to produce and sell goods, music. You act like it's a single entity who decides what flavor of the month they're going after now. Who would've thought the most popular, profitable genres would get the most attention, right?
For the better part, metal and metal fans are still a minority; it's a niche genre when compared to other things.

Maybe I didn't put it into words correctly for you, but it's not ignorance on my part... The music industry backs the "newest, hottest, thing" that will give them a profit. It just so happens that happens to be a large group of people who can only lip-synch a performance. I don't see, nor do I actually care, how you consider my post ignorant, when I was simply stating a fact about the state of the music business as a whole. It's fact that bands are making their living by touring and doing meet and greets. No matter what genre they're in. With the Internet, bands can potentially become very successful now by going viral online without having a record contract to start with. If they know the right people, they can cut an album on their computer and have a "mom and pop's" independent label distribute it. This is where the music industry has changed the most. It has all been forced to evolve, and I think record companies are trying to find and secure their place with the new changes so they can still turn a profit.
In part, I agree with you about metal still being a minority. Metal has always been on the back burner of the industry but has still been solid as far as profit. But that has a lot to do with the music industry's backing of what sells more. If a band like Maiden releases an album the same day Beyonce' releases one, who do you think is going to get the bigger sales display at a Best Buy or Target, or (insert your favorite store here). Back in the seventies, for example, the record industry WAS a single entity that pretty much dictated to themselves what they were going to back based on popularity and potential of bands. The most important thing for a band back then was to get a recording contract, sell themselves to a producing company and let the record company do the rest to promote them radio-wise and album sales. All I was trying to state in my original post was that the music industry as a whole has changed due to technology with download sites, legal and illegal, to the point where bands have to rely more on live performances and busting their buns getting more intimate with fans than ever before.
As far as my comment about rap and hip hop being crap, that's my opinion. I personally don't respect anyone who has to take samples of someone else's creative work and cram it together to put rhymes to it to sell an album. These are the ones who are up on stage lip synching because their too busy trying to dry hump the stage and call that a dance move. That's my opinion. You have yours and I have mine. You basically mirrored everything I was saying in my original post, so to that, welcome my friend, to the ignorant club! :)

Last edited:
I'm not denying the general (and long term) tendency in the music industry, but isn't Maiden some kind of exception? I mean, they've reached the number one spot of many charts for The Final Frontier, something which would'nt have been possible without their fanbase keeping on buying records instead of dowloading them for free. I remember reading an article posted on a french site saying that Maiden fans tending to actually BUY the records.

I agree with you, Maiden seems to have never really had a problem with their record sales ever. Especially now that they are releasing less albums within the last years. It creates a strong demand for them and fans come to expect great albums and maiden surely has delivered as of late! I was just speaking generally of the industry as a whole and how the artists and industry itself has had to kind of reinvent itself to cater to downloading sites and the way people tend to purchase music now. A lot of people (not all) are purchasing singles for .99 cents or so instead of entire albums. Nothing wrong with singles, they've been around from day one and always will be! I'm just pointing out how the industry and artists are becoming more creative in the ways that they make a profit these days...

[quote="Dr. Eddies Wingman, post:

And Maiden10_0: Please never compare Maiden to KISS and their Hello Kitty deals ... :nonono:[/quote]

I stand GUILTY as charged! Point taken! :) Think of Maiden and you think of professionalism as well as superior musicianship.
KISS has always been eye candy. The professional wrestling team of the music world. I still love them to desth but they are pretty pathetic at the way they sell themselves lately. They're more interested in mini golf and toys than music. Just as I was shaking my head on the hello kitty thing, they announce they own a new arena football team called LA KISS. :wtf:

Since you focused so much on the ignorance part, I'll start out by saying that I meant it as your dismal entire genres of music in one sentence. Obviously, I agreed with you on a couple of points.

With the Internet, bands can potentially become very successful now by going viral online without having a record contract to start with. If they know the right people, they can cut an album on their computer and have a "mom and pop's" independent label distribute it. This is where the music industry has changed the most. It has all been forced to evolve, and I think record companies are trying to find and secure their place with the new changes so they can still turn a profit.

Like that, that's a great point. I really wish you would've included that in your other post, because it's spot on.

In part, I agree with you about metal still being a minority. Metal has always been on the back burner of the industry but has still been solid as far as profit. But that has a lot to do with the music industry's backing of what sells more. If a band like Maiden releases an album the same day Beyonce' releases one, who do you think is going to get the bigger sales display at a Best Buy or Target, or (insert your favorite store here).

Well, I think it's just a natural result of metal being a much more harsh, abrasive genre, dealing with themes, ideas that might "scare" a lot of people off, for lack of a better term. Also, another thing to consider is just advertising in general. Like, you brought up Beyonce. She's on Columbia Records, a huge label with a lot of spending money. They can put out ads for her music on everything from MTV to magazines with no issue.
Now, try replacing Beyonce's face on a magazine cover with something like, "R.R. Unholy Bastard & Phosgene Wargas" from Blasphemophagher. Not exactly the most marketable thing.

As far as my comment about rap and hip hop being crap, that's my opinion. I personally don't respect anyone who has to take samples of someone else's creative work and cram it together to put rhymes to it to sell an album. These are the ones who are up on stage lip synching because their too busy trying to dry hump the stage and call that a dance move. That's my opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

I would try and convince you, because you appear to be very misguided on the idea of hip-hop, but you seem to have made up your mind already.

You basically mirrored everything I was saying in my original post, so to that, welcome my friend, to the ignorant club! :)

Yup. Again, should've made myself more clear on that part. That's my bad.

Since you focused so much on the ignorance part, I'll start out by saying that I meant it as your dismal entire genres of music in one sentence. Obviously, I agreed with you on a couple of points.

Like that, that's a great point. I really wish you would've included that in your other post, because it's spot on.

Well, I think it's just a natural result of metal being a much more harsh, abrasive genre, dealing with themes, ideas that might "scare" a lot of people off, for lack of a better term. Also, another thing to consider is just advertising in general. Like, you brought up Beyonce. She's on Columbia Records, a huge label with a lot of spending money. They can put out ads for her music on everything from MTV to magazines with no issue.
Now, try replacing Beyonce's face on a magazine cover with something like, "R.R. Unholy Bastard & Phosgene Wargas" from Blasphemophagher. Not exactly the most marketable thing.

I would try and convince you, because you appear to be very misguided on the idea of hip-hop, but you seem to have made up your mind already.

Yup. Again, should've made myself more clear on that part. That's my bad.

We are definitely are on the same page with everything, and I do respect hip hop to a certain degree, it's just that they seem more interested in dancing than actually performing! I do like some of the music, but when it comes to spending close to 100 dollars to see someone live, I'll be catching a band that I know that actually plays their instruments, rather than "push play" on a looper!
I was at fault in my original post with trying to say too much without fleshing it out more!

It's all good! :)

There's not really surprising they are not wanting to rush into a new recording. They are most likely going to take a loss on it, and without touring directly after they aren't making any money.
Maiden are already mega multi-millionaires who have more money than they could ever know what to do with so taking any losses on money won't hurt them in the least.

Well first of all, you have to remember that bands of Maiden's magnitude are like a small business. There's more than 6 guys involved in the Iron Maiden Touring Machine. Making an album the way they do is very expensive and there's a good chance that with sales today they barely break even, if that. Touring is where the money is at, but even then they need to pay for crews, venues, managers, hotels, transportation etc. Yes they're rich, but they have to pay for all of this somehow. If they aren't making money, the next tour isn't going to be as big and chances are they also aren't going to be able to spend as much on an album as they'd like.

Personally, I truly and honestly believe that bands who are at least as popular as Maiden have so much money that they could literally do everything completely for free and would still be super rich, mega multi-millionaires.

Well that's just not true. Nothing is free. You saw Flight 666 right? Or even better, the documentary on En Vivo? Think about all the people who are involved in a Maiden tour. Do you think those people are going to do all that hard work and spend months away from their families for free? What about all gas they use flying that airplane and going around in multiple buses? They also have to feed all these people and give them a nice place to stay every night for the duration of the tour. How are they supposed to pay for that? Out of pocket? They'd be broke by the end of the tour! Being a musician is expensive, these guys are rich but they aren't made of money.

Back