Maiden new album in 2014

I'm a big fan of epics, but they've got to do a mix of long and short songs, too many super-long ones on one album could just get tedious, in my view.

This.

I also enjoy epics, and I like the way Maiden does them... I'm not such a fan of long prog songs, for whatever reason I just never feel like they flow or connect well. They almost always feel like an entirely different song to me by the end, whereas Maiden's epics don't get that problem - I also love Lochness by Judas Priest, because despite being 13minutes it still feels like ONE song.

The only thing that gets tedious about Maidens epics lately is that they seem to always start and end with an acoustic section, I know the reprisal is a good way to keep it connected (as mentioned above) but there seems to be less variety... most epics seem to end the same as they began. Or at least, that's how it feels.

Yea, Maiden tend to recycle structures a lot. Pretty much every song on TFF has a counterpart on another album. Which is why I really think them doing an album of longer songs is an awful idea. It's also why I like S15 (even if the presentation is subpar), it's a nice change of pace.

I think the mix of songs on AMOLAD was better than TFF (though I liked both) ... with TFF seems like they were trying to copy the AMOLAD formula, but it fell a bit short IMO.

For the next album, I would like to see them mix it up a bit more. I think they really caught lightning in a bottle with AMOLAD and making another attempt at that formula might fall short again.

I like the epics as well, but I'd like to see a few of them paired down, even if they are 7 or 8 mins. Man Who Would be King is a song that might have benefited from being shorter. I agree with the intro/outro ... it is cool on occasion, but they seem to be doing that too much.

That said, if they come out with a new album of the same quality of TFF, I would be happy with that.

That said, if they come out with a new album of the same quality of TFF, I would be happy with that.

Yes. In fact, I'm generally happy to be surprised. I thought TFF might be a slight disappointment, because before I listened to it I'd heard several comments about song lengths, and it turned out to be an excellent album.

I think the mix of songs on AMOLAD was better than TFF (though I liked both) ... with TFF seems like they were trying to copy the AMOLAD formula, but it fell a bit short IMO.

For the next album, I would like to see them mix it up a bit more. I think they really caught lightning in a bottle with AMOLAD and making another attempt at that formula might fall short again.
Totally agree with you. AMOLAD is something special, and it's obvious the band put a lot of thought and care into polishing the album and making it very cohesive. (and, the production is killer!) TFF seemed rushed and half-finished to me, not only because it was done so quickly, but there are some obvious playing and production things on it that could've been fixed with another take. The song arrangements lack the little extra melodies, harmonies, drum fills and themes that effortlessly weave in and out of the tunes on AMOLAD, supporting the vocals and the main melody lines. It honestly seems like TFF was written and recorded somewhat on autopilot.

For number 16, I'd like to see a mix of AMOLAD's darkness and real-world subject matter with the lively, upbeat and uptempo stuff from BNW. I think that would be a career best for them.

DoD came out just before I first started listening to them, so I can't comment on anything leading up to there in the same manner - but when AMOLAD came out I didn't like it, I was really unhappy to hear that it was being played in entireity on the tour and almost considered trying to sell my ticket (if the setlist is a bunch of songs you don't like, why go?) but gave it some more time and a few grew on me, I went and I enjoyed it. TFF was a bit better, but at release I still didn't think it was anything special. It was actually when I first joined this forum and the chat that these 2 albums really clicked with me, as at the time I had no access to my CD's so was listening to them on youtube while talking about them, and who knows why but I found new appreciation. Still can't click with Starblind though :p

Ideal production for me would be a mix of BNW/AMOLAD certainly, I do really enjoy DoD but the production isn't the best certainly. Epic's are good, but need toning down I think.

Ideal production for me would be a mix of BNW/AMOLAD certainly, I do really enjoy DoD but the production isn't the best certainly. Epic's are good, but need toning down I think.
Amen! Tone down the epics, mix them in with some shorter, punchier tunes. And as for the production, the mastering on DOD is horrible. AMOLAD's unmastered, natural sound suits the band much better I think. More akin to the analog sound of their 80s albums.

Im tired of the production of Kevin sherley, BNW was great, Dance of death didnt like it at all, AMOLAD i liked the sound but i thought that with clean sound like SSOASS would be awesome and TFF i was sure that clean sound was needed.

So my hope,clean sound like SSOASS or FOTD

I agree that the epics need to be toned down a bit. I'm fine with long songs, but I agree with Crimson that the "Fear of the Dark" song structure needs to be thrown out for 9 out of 10 songs. A quiet opening and closing is dramatic and haunting, but not when you use it on half the album.

Though I love most of their new material, I would love to see a return to shorter songs. If they could capture the darkness from AMOLAD (one of my favorites) in shorter songs, I'd be very interested to hear what they come up with.

Im tired of the production of Kevin sherley, BNW was great, Dance of death didnt like it at all, AMOLAD i liked the sound but i thought that with clean sound like SSOASS would be awesome and TFF i was sure that clean sound was needed.

So my hope,clean sound like SSOASS or FOTD
I think Shirley's mixing style is fine, the problem is the mastering process. Dance of Death was mastered (at Steve's insistance) from a low-quality, compressed rough CD that K.S. gave to Steve to listen to before the album was released. That's why it sounds so squashed, loud and lifeless. I think BNW was mastered ok, but TFF is definitely more in the direction of DoD... very loud, thick, and muddy. AMOLAD's lack of mastering really lets Kevin Shirley's mixing come to life.

Seems like a firm 'no'. Maiden must be taking 2014 off.

Some years back we had a member called The Clairvoyant and he kept "predicting" what Maiden would do in a couple of years time. Serious.
Especially Perun was a big fan of the guy hehe.

I forget the contents of The Clairvoyant's visions so I can't say if he was right or not. :)

What???? I swear I wrote the previous post without realizing that The Clairvoyant had returned! I hadn't read the whole page and now I see some posts.

So, were your previous visions correct, Clairvoyant?

What???? I swear I wrote the previous post without realizing that The Clairvoyant had returned! I hadn't read the whole page and now I see some posts.

So, were your previous visions correct, Clairvoyant?

Hi, it's not a previous, this what the interview reported. Mine it's a opinion because if they would release next album in 2015 I think that in 2014 they will have a break or maybe I'm gonna get wrong. I don't know. That's all, it's not a previous.

Hi, I know these were opinions, but I still thought it was fun to see if the things really happened as you thought.

I apologize for the "making fun of your name"-tone in my posts. Sorry, really.

Seems like the original interview was in Turkish, Milliyet is a Turkish newspaper. I'll check it out.

Edit : The interview doesn't quote Bruce, it simply says "Solo albüm fikrinin olduğunu belirten Iron Maiden’ın solisti Bruce Dickinson, grup albümünün 2015’te çıkabileceğini müjdeledi." which means "Iron Maiden's vocalist Bruce Dickinson said he has thoughts about a solo album and heralded that the band's new album might come out in 2015."

Last edited:
Back