Maiden continuing without Nicko - right or wrong?

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I saw this question being tossed around in some other thread.

Nicko is the oldest member of the band and his job is by far the most physical.

If there was a choice between Maiden retiring with Nicko, and Maiden continuing for 5-6-7 years with an appropriate replacement, what would you choose?

I wouldn't support the band continuing without him. Just end Maiden as it is now when the time comes, move on and do some other stuff.

As much as I love Nicko, I would sacrifice him if it meant we could get one or two more albums, or 2-3 more tours (for example), from the rest of the band.

I also say this because, personally, I believe that a drummer is one of the easiest jobs to replace in a band. There are thousands of drummers out there that could probably play and sound exactly like Nicko, whereas it can be hard to replicate someone's guitar sound or vocals.

So if we could get another decade or so from the rest of the band by having Nicko retire? I would be all for it.

Last edited:
Not saying that I'd want it, but if he did go, I totally see Maiden continuing without him. Rock bands are like sports teams nowadays, players are replaceable.

I didn't voice my opinion:

I'd say it would be right, 'cause afaik, Nicko told Steve that if he ever decides to leave, they should continue without him. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Though when it comes to replacing him, I'd like them to hire someone unknown. Kinda like how Priest hired Richie. Someone famous or legendary would draw too much attention and criticism.

As much as I love Nicko, I would sacrifice him if it meant we could get one or two more albums, or 2-3 more tours (for example), from the rest of the band.

I also say this because, personally, I believe that a drummer is one of the easiest jobs to replace in a band. There are thousands of drummers out there that could probably play and sound exactly like Nicko, whereas it can be hard to replicate someone's guitar sound or vocals.

So if we could get another decade or so from the rest of the band by having Nicko retire? I would be all for it.

Although I agree with you about Maiden continuing without him, I must say that Nicko is a rare find and has a style all his own. Tommy Lee from Mötley Crüe has been quoted as calling him an Octopus while drumming! He would surely and sorely be missed!

Honestly, I'd be fine with it. I love Nicko and he is a big part of Maiden's sound and personality, but if they could carry on without Bruce and Adrian, they could carry on without Nicko.

I think it's different now. The band is heading towards its last years and this group has been together for 14 years now, much longer than any other period. I don't think it comes down to "if they could carry on without Bruce and Adrian, they could carry on without Nicko". It should be a retirement with this group. Doesn't matter who it is that is going to leave.

That being said I've always stated that I'd be fine with Maiden retiring right here, right now provided it means solo work from members.

I disagree. Drummer can change the whole rhythmic feel of a band. Look at the difference between Clive Burr and Nicko McBrain, for example. And I really doubt a band like Iron Maiden would look for a Nicko McBrain réplique if they were to get a new drummer. They'd like a new, creative member.

Though when it comes to replacing him, I'd like them to hire someone unknown. Kinda like how Priest hired Richie. Someone famous or legendary would draw too much attention and criticism.
Mike Portnoy is the first one that comes to mind.

Ehh, sorry I'm too tired, I didn't read it correctly. They should hire someone with some sort of status is what I was trying to say

Maiden will not retire until they finish their history of Iron Maiden series which for some reason a new part comes out every 3 fucking years!!! Speed it up please....

Seriously? I'm sorry, but, as a drummer... that's simply not true. Have you watched any of the thousands of guitarists covering Maiden songs note-for-note on Youtube? Or, ever listened to a post-Keith Moon record by The Who? Watched Led Zeppelin live in 1985 with Phil Collins on drums? Yeah, sure, maybe there are a few drummers (and guitarists) in popular bands who could be easily replaced without having the music suffer, but Nicko is not one of them.

Nicko is a single-pedal, jazz/funk/r&b influenced heavy rock drummer who plays in an extremely syncopated, improvosational fashion in a metal band. He has one of the most unique drum setups in the world, one of the most unique approaches to metal drumming, and has hugely influenced Maiden's songwriting over the years, as he and Steve have both said on multiple occasions.

This is what Adrian had to say on the subject:

" He always had the chops and the technique, but in Maiden he really exploded, to the point where a lot of the stuff we did after he joined was then founded on his playing ... Steve loves playing with him. Steve and Nicko used to work for hours, going over these bass and drum patterns."

Steve has also stated that he does not intend to continue without Nicko.

I think that right now they have the ultimate, perfect lineup. The band has become a product of all the people involved (which is how it should be in an ideal world) and the last 4 albums have been the best ever (imho of course). The idea of any of them leaving and being replaced now - I don't even want to think about it.

Last edited:
I think there is no answer to this question about maiden continuing without Nicko, because Iron Maiden will carry on with Nicko for all the projects planned. When they will finish their career, I hope not so soon, they will do it togheter. On what they did until know there was, I guess, the Agreement of all six members. So the sure thing is that there will be a new album and tour and now we know all six members agree on doing that. Bruce said on the last interview that they're going to do another record and I guess another tour to support it. If they have planned other things after this there should be the Agreement of all six members. It would be make no sense to carry on for other 3 or 4 years only with a new drummer. That's my opinon, but I think most of the fans have this opinion. But maybe I'm gonna get wrong.

I think it's different now. The band is heading towards its last years and this group has been together for 14 years now, much longer than any other period. I don't think it comes down to "if they could carry on without Bruce and Adrian, they could carry on without Nicko". It should be a retirement with this group. Doesn't matter who it is that is going to leave.

That being said I've always stated that I'd be fine with Maiden retiring right here, right now provided it means solo work from members.

It is certainly a more important time in the lineup, but I still don't think that the band should hang it up with Nicko. Retiring the group if everyone else still wants to make music is just ridiculous. These guys are far too established to just go their separate ways or suit up under a new band name. If they want another record/tour and Nicko doesn't, I think it's perfectly fine to continue on without him.

Seriously? I'm sorry, but, as a drummer... that's simply not true. Have you watched any of the thousands of guitarists covering Maiden songs note-for-note on Youtube? Or, ever listened to a post-Keith Moon record by The Who? Watched Led Zeppelin live in 1985 with Phil Collins on drums? Yeah, sure, maybe there are a few drummers (and guitarists) in popular bands who could be easily replaced without having the music suffer, but Nicko is not one of them.

Nicko is a single-pedal, jazz/funk/r&b influenced heavy rock drummer who plays in an extremely syncopated, improvosational fashion in a metal band. He has one of the most unique drum setups in the world, one of the most unique approaches to metal drumming, and has hugely influenced Maiden's songwriting over the years, as he and Steve have both said on multiple occasions.

You make very good points. I completely agree that a different drummer does change the sound of a band, but Maiden has such a tried and true musical approach that I don't think it would be a grand departure for them to get a new drummer. Either Steve will continue to write with Nicko in mind or the band's sound will shift ever so slightly.

The reality is that Nicko contributes the least from a songwriting perspective (although he is very responsible for much of the band's live show energy). I absolutely love Nicko, but from a creative standpoint, he's not Neil Peart.

It's a touchy subject, but at this point in their career, I could honestly say that the band could survive the departure of any member except for Steve or Bruce. If one guitarist leaves, you've still got two. Terrible thought, but it could happen.

The most important thing here is: this is all speculation. Other than our inferences based on his age, there's no implication that Nicko is thinking of hanging it up. Here's hoping we get another couple albums and tours before this becomes a real discussion.

It is certainly a more important time in the lineup, but I still don't think that the band should hang it up with Nicko. Retiring the group if everyone else still wants to make music is just ridiculous. These guys are far too established to just go their separate ways or suit up under a new band name. If they want another record/tour and Nicko doesn't, I think it's perfectly fine to continue on without him.

You make very good points. I completely agree that a different drummer does change the sound of a band, but Maiden has such a tried and true musical approach that I don't think it would be a grand departure for them to get a new drummer. Either Steve will continue to write with Nicko in mind or the band's sound will shift ever so slightly.

The reality is that Nicko contributes the least from a songwriting perspective (although he is very responsible for much of the band's live show energy). I absolutely love Nicko, but from a creative standpoint, he's not Neil Peart.

It's a touchy subject, but at this point in their career, I could honestly say that the band could survive the departure of any member except for Steve or Bruce. If one guitarist leaves, you've still got two. Terrible thought, but it could happen.

The most important thing here is: this is all speculation. Other than our inferences based on his age, there's no implication that Nicko is thinking of hanging it up. Here's hoping we get another couple albums and tours before this becomes a real discussion.

Maybe he doesn't write lyrics like Neil Peart does, but he's at least as, if not more talanted as a drummer. Take this from someone who is a professional, university-trained musician. In addition, bringing in a new drummer would mean a huge adjustment period for the rest of the band. As we know, Maiden are very set in their ways and don't like to leave things to chance. I find it extremely hard to believe they'd want to subject themselves to such a strange, foreign experience as a new drummer when Nicko's been there for thirty years. Yes, he does contribute the least to songwriting when it comes to riffs and lyrics, but for thirty years the rest of the guys have fed off, been inspired by, and been comfortable with his playing while writing in the studio. Changing something like that would effect the compositional process in a massive way.

In my opinion, Maiden without Nicko is like Zeppelin without Bonham. They could probably get close with someone else if they worked very, very hard, but the music would never be the same.

I'm of the opinion that, at this point, should anyone else leave the band, the band should call it quits. Nicko is absolutely irreplaceable to me. I can't think of any other drummer that can do justice to his style of busy handwork and single-footed wizardry.

Maybe he doesn't write lyrics like Neil Peart does, but he's at least as, if not more talanted as a drummer.

I think Nicko is an amazing musician, but better than Neil Peart? Sorry, nope.

As for the rest: I do agree, but I think they could find a Maiden fan who is a drummer who understands the style (like Ripper in Priest, Jason in Metallica, etc.). Again, I don't wish this to happen, but if it's No Nicko or No More Maiden, I'll choose No Nicko.

I think Nicko is an amazing musician, but better than Neil Peart? Sorry, nope.

As for the rest: I do agree, but I think they could find a Maiden fan who is a drummer who understands the style (like Ripper in Priest, Jason in Metallica, etc.). Again, I don't wish this to happen, but if it's No Nicko or No More Maiden, I'll choose No Nicko.
I'd rather have them call it quits. They should end it on top.

Back