Maiden Christmas Presents

I wonder if Riggs mainly speaks about Steve and perhaps Bruce, when the band was adressed, or did he also mention other members?

I haven't read the book from cover to cover in a while, but one of the things you learn in the book is how little interaction Riggs actually had with the going ons of the band or where and what they were doing. Which initially surprised me a bit. He mainly dealt only with Rod Smallwood. He would sometimes get ideas from the band regarding what the band wanted on the covers.

Thanks. To be honest, I'd hoped he could have brought more nuance into the story when talking about more individuals, but naturally he didn't have the chance if he mainly got to deal with Rod.

By the way, do you know why Halfin quit working with Maiden. I think he still does lots of work for great artists.

Deja-vu like with Riggs?

Not that I am aware of. Unless he did recently. Haven't checked his site for a while but he stil pops up in magazines.
He was great mates with the band, if I remember correctly also when Bruce and Adrian came back. And suddenly: bye, bye.

Yeah agree, but I think mostly it is "Iron Maiden came to me with this idea" or Rod. If a band member had made a suggestion that went on the artwork he would mention that like "That was Steve's idea" etc.

But yeah he didn't have much to do with the band. He would just get the orders, I think he says around 15 something artworks around each album and a deadline :D There is also a story about how one time he was invited to party with the band to meet them all - and he was invited to see them live but he didn't really like the music :D

Didn't Maiden use Halfin from time to time still? Just not as exclusively as earlier? I also remember Ross Halfin saying something about that Maiden wasn't the easiest band to work with because they wouldn't let you do anything - only giving you very little time to shoot the pictures etc.

I also remember Ross Halfin saying something about that Maiden wasn't the easiest band to work with because they wouldn't let you do anything - only giving you very little time to shoot the pictures etc.

That would be in line with what Riggs keeps saying about Maiden. It seems like they have a very clear idea of what they want and don't seem to look on people like Riggs and Halfin so much as artists, and rather as contributors to their work.

Now you say this, I also remember that at some point he became openly critical. On his website. He was indeed used from time to time, but that's already quite a while back. Maybe Dance of Death tour or even earlier?

Now you say this, I also remember that at some point he became openly critical. On his website. He was indeed used from time to time, but that's already quite a while back. Maybe Dance of Death tour or even earlier?

Who, Riggs or Halfin?

That would be in line with what Riggs keeps saying about Maiden. It seems like they have a very clear idea of what they want and don't seem to look on people like Riggs and Halfin so much as artists, and rather as contributors to their work.

Yup, Riggs is very negative also in that regard to Maiden in his "Run For Cover" book. Asking him to cram out a lot of artwork in very little time, tough deadlines etc. They would pay him and fly him somewhere close to the band just to paint. And all he did during some of those years was working on Maiden deadlines etc...

But yeah, I guess Maiden only gave Halfin the first few songs to shoot pictures or something like that? And he wasn't very pleased. Shame I can't find where I read it now but it is also a long time ago. I will post if I find it.

But yeah, I guess Maiden only gave Halfin the first few songs to shoot pictures or something like that? And he wasn't very pleased. Shame I can't find where I read it now but it is also a long time ago. I will post if I find it.

I heard/read that too somewhere. It's pretty obvious from observation though. If you look at the press pit during Maiden concerts, there are tons of photographers in the beginning, but they all leave before the band look all sweaty and worn.

Halfin. I replied to Sixes but you were earlier. :)

Never mind then. The entire last page looks disjointed to me, but probably because I didn't bother to read it properly. ;)

Look I found this, on Maidenfans (great for archiving ;-)

http://maidenfans.com/2004/ross-halfin-will-be-doing-an-iron-maiden-book
Read the comments as well. Someone called The Saint (he was a mod, of the news team, a very nice forum member I thought, but he left very suddenly) says this:

What is interesting is that Ross said on his website that Rod was far too controlling and that he wouldn't like to work with him again on a book... Time passes, opinions change

So what happened is that he still did that book after that criticism, and in 2005 he did some stage photos as well.

Back