Magnum

AncientMariner_Essex

Ancient Mariner
thought I’d ask if theirs any fans around of this classic British band.

I’ve heard of them over the years but just never seemed to check them out until recently. I heard a snippet of a track off their recently released new album, lost on the road to eternity which I really liked. After a bit more digging I decided to purchase the album and absolutely love it.

Thinking of delving into the back catologue now which seems vast. Seems like the best places to start are chasing the dragon (1982) and on a storytellers night (1985) although the last couple of releases prior to this latest one seem to be getting good reviews.

I am a fan, my dad is the expert though. Those two albums, Chasing (Soldier of the Line, The Spirit and Sacred Hour are the classic songs) and Storytellers (pretty much the whole album) are the classics along with Wings of Heaven. Some classic tracks from other earlier albums are Kingdom of Madness and Vigilante. I think anything from The Visitation onwards is of a high quality in terms of newer stuff but the new album seems to be more consistent in quality overall and also not quite as heavy as some of the previous few albums. Black Skies and Dance of the Black Tattoo might well be their heaviest songs.

Back