Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Through the Ashes of Empires

• Catharsis

• Total voters

Collin

Chasing Ponce De Leon's Phantoms
So what does everyone think of this band?
I think while they do have some good songs, they are a live band.
Their songs are written so they can be played live and get a good crowd reaction.
The Blackening is the best album.

Not really a fan of any of those whos name sounds the same, Machinehead, Radiohead or Motorhead. The latter of them are the best of the 3.

I know that Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change get a lot of flak from the metal community for being "groove metal" whatever that is, but my god you won't find better albums for when you're pissed off at the world or when you need an adrenaline injection.

I listened to The Burning Red a lot too when it came out. That Police cover was fun back in the day in 1999...Not so much anymore :D

I really should get into this band more. From what I've been hearing Burn My Eyes is really great.

I remember buying Burn My Eyes when it was released & seeing them live that year or the year after (so '94/'95). They were great live, from what I recall of it; I was just a kid though. I haven't listened to Burn My Eyes in super ages & didn't buy any of their later albums.

I'd forgotten quite how like Sepultura (Sep. at this time) they sounded; with their growling vocals, D-tuned guitars, double-kick drumming, & limited lead guitar work. A bit cleaner though.

Yes sir. Pretty safe to say that if you liked Machine Head in the early 90s you also had some affection for Sepultura, Pantera etc...I mean these three bands were my gateway into harder metal back in those days.

Indeed, likewise. Saw Sep. quite a few times; inc. Donington '96 when Max had to fly home & they performed without him (--which wasn't very good.) Man, I used to come away from those concerts in pieces; they were bordering on riots.

Sepultura were one my favourite bands back then. What a great album Chaos A.D. was!
I couldn't see them live but watched Soulfly a couple of times later. :edmetal:

Yup! Chaos A.D!

We're that generation that had this kinda music while we grew up so I think these bands and albums will never really leave us ;)

Sepultura were one my favourite bands back then. What a great album Chaos A.D. was!
I couldn't see them live but watched Soulfly a couple of times later. :edmetal:

What are you talking about? The only Sepultura I know of died in a tragic plane crash after Arise. :p

What are you talking about? The only Sepultura I know of died in a tragic plane crash after Arise. :p

Naww, Chaos A.D still holds up...not as thrash as Arise and the earlier albums but one of their strongest and original albums..Roots on the other hand is sort of a mess to listen to.

Hmmm, I find the pre-Chaos A.D. albums fairely unlistenable to now. When I reflect upon them, I think, musically, they're pretty poor. Although, I still seem to have them all; & seem to have burned them to MP3 at some point too. I think Roots is pretty decent --just a different mix from Chaos A.D. Different feel to the guitars etc but still pretty solid Sep. I used to love playing Jasco on my guitar. Overall though, I just really fell out of love with bands that didn't have decent solo/lead guitar work. Rocking rhythm work only interest me for so long. And, as a guitarist, D-tuned (i.e. simple half-barre) chord work is just fucking lazy; especially when you add literally nothing in the way of anything else on top.

Oh I love Arise. But Chaos was the first album of theirs I heard and I just fell in love with it.
I'm not even mentioning Roots, isn't that enough for you? :p

I don't know, I have such fond (?) memories of tracks like Spit live; the crowd just went totally mental. Admittedly I haven't given the whole album a listen for quite a while though. But, yeh, looking at that track list for Chaos A.D. --what a fucking album. We used to open with Refuse/Resist with our school band. Went down like... well, like you might expect a Sep. track to go down, in front of a seated assembly including teachers. We used to close with Killing in the Name! :p

Last edited:
Back