LOU REED & METALLICA - Lulu (out on October 31, 2011)

Will this album suck?

• YES!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Probably

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • NO!

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
It doesn't stop him from being a bad drummer.

Besides, Mike Portnoy played the same role in Dream Theater, yet they can still live without him.

Mosh said:
It doesn't stop him from being a bad drummer.

Besides, Mike Portnoy played the same role in Dream Theater, yet they can still live without him.

John Petrucci knows about this stuff pretty well. He was also the producer of the album as you know.

Well then how do you know James Hetfield isn't the same way?

Mosh said:
Well then how do you know James Hetfield isn't the same way?

I just don't think he is. If he was really good at it, he wouldn't let Lars do it, I think. James always considered himself to be the leader of the band (which he is) if there was any possibility to arrange songs for him, he would do it. Also, Lars is perfect at arranging songs, far better than your example Mike Portnoy. You can take a look at the making videos of Black Album and Death Magnetic, Lars' influence on those albums are huge and I think it's the case for every single Metallica album. Lars is on the dirty, business side of Metallica. People know Metallica as much as this because of Lars, that's a fact.

I don't like him as a drummer too (except for AFJA) but I respect him on the business side and arranging side.

Forostar said:
I don't respect his take on that part of the business where sharing and downloading is involved.

You mean the part where he alienated/made them a laughing stock to all non-fanboys?  :lol:

Forostar said:
I don't respect his take on that part of the business where sharing and downloading is involved.
Agreed.

Also,
The Flash said:
I just don't think he is. If he was really good at it, he wouldn't let Lars do it, I think.
I could argue that John Petrucci is really good at it, but just let Mike Portnoy take over these things. James Hetfield can be the same. We can even apply this to Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickinson lets Steve Harris do everything because it's his band, but if there was no Steve, there is no doubt that Bruce would do fine taking over.

I really don't think Metallica would completely fall apart without Lars. They would either stay the same, or do better I think.

Mosh said:
Also,  I could argue that John Petrucci is really good at it, but just let Mike Portnoy take over these things. James Hetfield can be the same. We can even apply this to Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickinson lets Steve Harris do everything because it's his band, but if there was no Steve, there is no doubt that Bruce would do fine taking over.

No need to discuss it really, we can't know what would happen.

I think we can't apply this to Maiden, because in Dream Theater's case, it's both Petrucci's and Portnoy's band. In Metallica's case it's both Lars' and James' band. But in Iron Maiden's case, it's Steve Harris' band. If Bruce wanted to take over arranging things, Steve wouldn't let him do it.

I mentioned that I'd like Gene Hoglan to replace Lars. Well, Gene also writes/composes/arranges songs and writes lyrics. And is 10000 times better drummer than Lars.

The Flash said:
No need to discuss it really, we can't know what would happen.

I think we can't apply this to Maiden, because in Dream Theater's case, it's both Petrucci's and Portnoy's band. In Metallica's case it's both Lars' and James' band. But in Iron Maiden's case, it's Steve Harris' band. If Bruce wanted to take over arranging things, Steve wouldn't let him do it.
Well if Steve decided to retire, Bruce could very well get the members of Maiden to start a new band.

I wouldn't like to see Maiden without Steve, but I'd still support the band if other members ever continue without him.

I think most of the band members would go off and do their own thing once Steve quits. I'd like to believe they wouldn't want to flog a dead horse. Bruce would probably get a few of them to work with him on his solo stuff, but that's not Maiden either, it's Bruce and everyone knows it.

It would still prove that Bruce does just fine arranging his own music.

Back