LOU REED & METALLICA - Lulu (out on October 31, 2011)

Will this album suck?

• YES!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Probably

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • NO!

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Listened to all of it (for probably the first and last time), I did like Iced Honey (was thinking that would be what the album would be like) and Frustration.  A few other songs were okay, some were just horrible (like Junior Dad), might give a few songs another listen.

I wish they would make Lulu 2 and make it intentionally bad. Metallica fanatics would probably kill themselves. Gotta love Lou Reed.

Yea I agree. They should just hire him full time and make that their new direction.

Why don't I consider Lulu as a Metallica album ?

Because it's a collaboration. For me, a release doesn't belong to a single band if there are other bands-musicians collaborating on it. (I'm not talking about guest musicians, I'm talking about partnership) It's not Metallica - Lulu, or Lou Reed - Lulu, t's Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu.

Metallica did some experiments back in the day, with Load, ReLoad and St. Anger. These albums were made all by themselves, songs were written all by themselves. I don't see Lulu as a "direction changing" nor do I see it as an "experiment". They thought "Let's make a album with Lou Reed" and that's it. This album was %50 Metallica, %50 Lou Reed. Actually, it's more of %60 Lou Reed, %40 Metallica. Metallica came up with riffs and solos. The lyrics are Lou's work, vocals are Lou's work, concept is Lou's work, the sound, the style is Lou's work. (if you look at his older works, you can see that they were on the same way as Lulu is)

And from where I see, Metallica doesn't consider Lulu as a Metallica album either. We all know they care a lot about money, they care a lot about merchandising. They posted the songs off the album online way before the album is released. Some say that was because the album was leaked, I don't believe it. Because Death Magnetic also leaked, Metallica put the release date back, it was their solution. Next album probably is going to leak too, they would't post the songs online because of that, they would put the release date back once again.

And I'm pretty sure that the next Metallica album is going to be on the same path as Death Magnetic, another thrash metal album.

Well, intrigued by this thread, I took a listen. My impression: the soundtrack to a twisted axe murderer's life. It left me utterly confused and wanting warm happy things...so I put on Paschendale as an antidote. To anyone who hasn't heard it yet and wants to form their own opinion...just be warned, it's some seriously twisted shit.

Twisted cd to say the least...Metallica was good but Reed was awful!!  He sounded like a cake!!!!!  Cant give it more than a 4.

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately: Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only.

Jesus fucking christ. Bad live performance of a three-chord track that's 5 minutes long. Lars just sucks. On the other hand, Lou Reed looks like old Jason Newsted.

I'm going to play Creeping Death now, thank you very much.

Lars is a horrible drummer. I think I said it a few times, but I wish he leaves the band and Gene Hoglan joins to play and compose.

Night Prowler said:
Lars is a horrible drummer. I think I said it a few times, but I wish he leaves the band and Gene Hoglan joins to play and compose.

If there wasn't Lars, there wouldn't be Metallica. I'm not talking about the fact that he is the founder of the band, I'm talking about the fact that every-single (except for Motorbreath and Anesthesia) Metallica songs are arranged by him. James, Kirk, Dave, Cliff, Jason, Robert all wrote parts for songs, Lars arranged, got together those compositions to be songs.

I said: "I wish he leaves", not "I wish he left". He was never a great drummer, but was acceptable in pre-Load era. Now he is horrible.

Btw. he almost got kicked out few weeks/months before Cliff died.

I'm sure that other members are capable of arranging songs without him.

Night Prowler said:
I said: "I wish he leaves", not "I wish he left". He was never a great drummer, but was acceptable in pre-Load era. Now he is horrible.

Btw. he almost got kicked out few weeks/months before Cliff died.

I'm sure that other members are capable of arranging songs without him.

My statement keeps its meaning even if you said "I wish he leaves". It's not about drumming, it's about arranging. I don't think other guys wouldn't handle it. Kirk and Rob are not into that stuff, maybe James could try to handle it but I don't think it would work.

Back