Live at Donington '92 question

Donington is alright as a whole, they played things fast and loose in those days, so you were threading a fine line between a great and a bad version. But it's a better representation of the set than the other two albums.

There's some great versions on ARLO and ARDO, the Wrathchild b-side that isn't even on the album is great too, but the bad versions are real bad.

That Mannheim thing came up here before, should come up in a search. My theory is they just plain lied about the location as it was probably the best version they had from the tour but they knew Donington was going to come out on video (at least) at the time.

I actually don’t think that Donington is as bad as some claim. Some of those performances are really good. One of my favorite versions of TNOTB for instance.
Its probably one of my fav performances of Hallowed however the official release is nothing like the radio broadcast. Uts been changed a lot abd really doesnt capture the energy of the band that day

The Sledgehammer bootleg (combined with the handful of missing songs from another bootleg) has basically completely superseded Donington for me. It's a bootleg but honest to God it sounds better, especially with a little EQing. The setlist is far more interesting to me as well and the band performances are better. ARLDO at the very least has the advantage of including (bad) versions of a bunch of songs they hadn't played in ages by that point.

I actually don’t think that Donington is as bad as some claim. Some of those performances are really good. One of my favorite versions of TNOTB for instance.
Donington is alright as a whole, they played things fast and loose in those days, so you were threading a fine line between a great and a bad version. But it's a better representation of the set than the other two albums.
Just to drive home both of your points: That live album doesn't really exist for me because of the botched solo on Afraid to Shoot Strangers

The three live albums are not garbage, but in hindsight there should have been only one live release from 1992/93. Obviously they only recorded in Europe (probably for logistical reasons), but my pick from the gigs I´ve heard from that period would have been 2nd night in Caracas on October 10th -92. They all play better compared to Donington and both Real Lives´ and in addition Bruce is on supreme form. In Donington he seems to be quite drunk and had bit of an off-day

Ps. Anyone happen to know why there was two separate South-American legs in 1992? Obvious reason would be because of some gigs being cancelled, but I don´t think the original shows would have fit their timetable and dunno if they would have returned to play them again in any case. Quite a lot of different to play couple of rescheduled gigs in France, for instance.

Back