Live After Death album what was played where ?

Thin Lizzy's Studio and Dangerous though.

I don't think this is as overdubbed as Tony Visconti makes out. He's trying to make the success of the album all about his production job.

for example the unfixed "still dangerous" that features some of the tracks from the actual album sounds no different. (it even has some great tracks that should have been on the real album, Soldier of Fortune for one!)

There's also a part in dancin in the moonlight where Philo just stops playing the bass to get the crowd to clap. Surely they would have fixed that in the studio if they were overdubbing as much as Visconti claims.

I'm a bit suspicious about Wrathchild, so called from Hammersmith. I do not know about the first night (no bootleg info) but all other nights do not have Wrathchild in the setlist. As crazy as it sounds, Wrathchild was a rare track in the World Slavery Tour. As far as I'm aware it was only played at 2 (other) UK gigs (Sheffield & Ipswich; around 3 weeks before Hammersmith Odeon) and in Japan.

Does anyone have the Ipswich and/or Sheffield and/or (one of) the Japan bootlegs? Perhaps the LAD version comes from one of these gigs?

Wrathchild was played at the 1st night. At least this review of a Hammersmith Odeon show from Garry Bushell mentions it, and as we have bootlegs of the other 3 nights without Wrathchild it is logical to assume the review corresponds to the first show.

IMG-20170402-WA0002_zpstk9o2joc.jpg

Thanks, Cain! Interesting. No mention of Phantom and Boots.

Perhaps I missed something but do we also know from which nights the other 4 songs are coming from?

Thanks, Cain! Interesting. No mention of Phantom and Boots.

Perhaps I missed something but do we also know from which nights the other 4 songs are coming from?

I think DWYBO was only played at one gig (3rd show), as was also the case with Murders in the Rue Morgue (4th show) and Wrathchild (1st show). For Children of the Damned (played at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd shows) and Phantom of the Opera (played at the 2nd and 4th shows) it would be difficult to tell from which night the recorded version was coming from.

I think DWYBO was only played at one gig (3rd show), as was also the case with Murders in the Rue Morgue (4th show) and Wrathchild (1st show). For Children of the Damned (played at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd shows) and Phantom of the Opera (played at the 2nd and 4th shows) it would be difficult to tell from which night the recorded version was coming from.
I rather thought about 22 Acacia Avenue instead of Murders, but yeah that one and Losfer Words are also nice to deduce.

I rather thought about 22 Acacia Avenue instead of Murders, but yeah that one and Losfer Words are also nice to deduce.

22 Acacia Avenue and Losfer Words were played at all 4 gigs as they were part of the regular setlist of the European leg so it would be more difficult to know which version made it to the album. The other songs were rotated, with 2 songs being played each night, right after Revelations and before Flight of Icarus.

I have the three available bootlegs of the four Hammersmith '84 shows. By my reckoning the precise dates of the Hammersmith performances are:

01. Wrathchild (8/x/84)

02. 22 Acacia Avenue (8/x/84)

03. Children of the Damned (10/x/84)

04. Die With Your Boots On (10/x/84)

05. Phantom of the Opera (9/x/84)

06. Murders in the Rue Morgue (12/x/84)

07. Losfer Words (8/x/84)

NB in addition to the article by Garry Bushell above, Bruce confirmed on 15 December 1984 in Denver (another bootlegged show) that Wrathchild was last played at Hammersmith. See https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/iron-maiden-live-after-death-wrathchild.393180/

Aces High, 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Trooper, Revelations, Flight Of Icarus, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Powerslave, The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden, Run To The Hills, Running Free - Recorded at Long Beach Arena, California, USA, March 17, 1985

Wrathchild - Recorded at Hammersmith, Odeon, London, England, October 8, 1984

22 Acacia Avenue (Live at The Hammersmith Odeon) - Recorded at Hammersmith, Odeon, London, England, October 1984

Children Of The Damned - Recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, England, October 10, 1984

Die With Your Boots On - Recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, England, October 10, 1984

Phantom Of The Opera - Recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, England, October 9, 1984

Losfer Words - Recorded at Hammersmith, Odeon, London, England, October 8, 1984

Audio of the Live After Death Video Version recorded at Long Beach Arena, California, USA, March 15, 1985

Final Note about the Live After Death recordings

Many people will say that the Live After Death releases are the unaltered recordings from the concerts that made it onto the album & video and quote Steve saying, "So there were no overdubs done, nothing added in the studio afterwards to make it sound better like you get with so many so-called 'live' albums these days. It was exactly as we did it on stage, warts and all, which is why it sounds so exciting, I think. It was the real McCoy." (Steve Harris for Mick Wall) others, like me, will say that the releases have been altered by mixing tapes from the gigs that took place on Long Beach Arena between March 14 & 17 and adding overdubs afterwards and I quote Bruce saying, "That record was assembled from three nights at Long Beach, with different tracks being selected from different nights. It also was messed around with a bit. Some of the backing tracks were fine, but Adrian's guitar was way out of tune on one or two songs, so we went into a studio here in LA and did some guitar overdubs and I think I even did some vocal overdubs on 'Run To The Hills' and some other bits." (Bruce Dickinson for Fredrik Hjelm – February 1, 2002) or "Live After Death was not just one concert. It was assembled out of different songs from different nights. We recorded at least three nights, and then we assembled the best out of those three nights." (Bruce Dickinson for Martin Popoff - The Top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. Published by ECW Press. 2004).

All this info and more will soon be available in my book. Iron Maiden: The Albums - The Complete Version

Steve is telling porkies. They did some overdubs for the album. Nothing major as in Judas Priest's "Unleashed in the Eastudio", Judas Priest's "Priest... Studio!" or Thin Lizzy's "Studio and Dangerous", but some overdubs at the end of the day.

Another Bruce quote I came across recently: "Live After Death was full of overdubs, I had added singing parts, Adrian had redone guitar parts ..." (Bruce Dickinson for Par Nadège Goutouly & Angel OffTheBeast - Hard Rock Magazine n° 78 - March 2002)

Is there any quotes from Bruce before Rock in Rio? Sounds like Bruce is trying to spin that the then current live album is better than the classic album.

Is there any quotes from Bruce before Rock in Rio? Sounds like Bruce is trying to spin that the then current live album is better than the classic album.

Those comments were made during the promotional press tour before the release of Rock in Rio, but have been also made in other occasions. Back in 2002 Bruce did mention that he did vocal overdubs for Live After Death but not for Rock in Rio.

Yeah, I don't doubt that there are overdubs on LAD, the backing vocals on Aces High really stood out to me as being suspicious the last time I was listening to it, but those quotes from Bruce are a bit OTT, it makes it sound like they had to redo huge amounts.

I think nearly all of Adrian's backing vocals are redubs in the studio. Dunno about Bruce's vocals since admittedly they could've easily used recordings from other gigs like Hammersmith on the album version to cover for the frankly quite poor takes we got for some of the songs. But at the same time I do think stuff like The Trooper sound a bit too clean on the vocals department, like they weren't recorded on stage but in isolation.

Luisma this is yours doing? I'd be glad to support if it is!

Back