Libya in new hands

Re: Allied Forces at War with Libyan Regime

The War Power's act has never been put to the constitutional test. After reading it, it says the President must notify congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and must obtain approval  within 60 days of the start of military action. The Obama Administration's position is that they are not utilizing ground troops or are conducting a war, merely providing intelligence and support.

The key words I got from reading, is "armed forces" and "military action."

After reading it, I was incorrect about my assumption that it was intended to stop Nixon from going into Cambodia and Laos, as it was passed in 1975. It was to prevent future presidents from escalating military actions without congressional approval.

I thought we had advisors on the ground and I am sure they are armed.

Armed forces can mean Naval vessels, fighters and drones. Military action can mean anything from advising, training, intelligence gathering or logistical support. The War Powers Act never mentions anything about it having to involve combat.

I agree, but I think the "we have no boots on the ground"  statement is not 100% true either.  We are engaged in the Air and at Sea, that is military conflict to me.

What's the voice of the congress worth to you (in military conflicts) when you know they supported Iraq so long?

By law, they need to approve the conflict and they need to approve the funding for it.  They generally defer to the President though.

There definitely are some form of troops on the ground, providing training to the rebels. Not many. probably fewer than 100.

@ Foro, Bush took advantage of the hawkish political climate in 2003 to drive the invasion of Iraq. Anybody who opposed the action or wanted to defund it, was labeled unpatriotic. They  caved in, because no one in congress would bet their political careers on their own principals. So their voice is more corrupt than the president's. Congress is always worried about re-election, because they have no term limits, so they tend to vote on things. The president has a maximum of 2 terms, and usually is not challenged from within his own party when re-election comes, so the president tends to go with their core political beliefs.

This is a much different Congress, too. Three wave elections in a row have changed the makeup of who actually makes the votes, so...I would be surprised if this can pass. To be honest, I think the War Powers Act needs a constitutional test. This is a good enough time as any for it.

I tend to think it would pass, if it were put up for a vote and would be fairly bipartisan.  Fair amount of both GOP and Dem votes for and against.  Though I agree that it would be interesting to see this make it to the Supreme Court

There is also the Khadaffi factor. Alot of people want to see him ousted. Including your's truly. But I don't understand why the President would want to try and put this to the test, when all he has to do is ask for authorization. The attempt to circumvent Constitutional law is truly frightening.

This isn't Constitutional law. It's just law. There is a huge difference.

There's a lot of people who think the War Powers Act is unconstitutional, as it restricts the President's military powers, which are granted to him by the Constitution. The law needs a test.

Kucinch is calling for the President's impeachment....the madness continues

I haven't heard anything from Qaddafi in the last few hours...but the rebels are declaring they have Tripoli in their hands. Crowds are huge on the streets, celebrating. Hopefully they end this shortly.

So, at the moment nobody knows where Qaddafi is. Al Jazeera is placing serious doubts that he is in Tripoli. South African planes have been spotted in the airport.

But one thing is now certain: Tripoli is free.

Very good news, it looks like it is about over.  Hopefully the rebels can maintain unity and bring in the more moderate pro Quaddafi elements to form a stable and friendly/neutral to the west government.

Excellent news. If Qadaffi didn't get out of the country, he might be swinging from a lamp pole somewhere by now. Still, the rebels deserve congratulations. They really came together and forged an alliance that crossed tribes and made this work. Congratulations are due to the NATO forces as well who participated.

Hopefully this is the end of the Libyan Civil War.

03_26_shores_of_tripoli_before_after_large.jpg

(It's not true that this was an all-American action (absolutely not!), but I find the picture funny, and I bought To the Shores of Tripoli 15 days ago in London. ;) )

Back