Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Stay safe my friend you and all, I pray for this place. Hopefully there will be no strong wind until the fire is extinguished.

It'll be a revolution when first "all-weather" CL gets made. The pilots are insane and they'd fly nights if there was enough instrument support for water pick up and drop run. The helicopters are worthless.

My first proper job was a fire-detection project, relay stations with cameras/sensors on the hilltops and stuff, linked to central computer and monitoring systems. The usual. The company was a commercial arm for the tech developed at the local uni. We've deployed it in a number of nature parks and protected zones here, trialed in Greece, not on a site but for a Greek partner company that would do the local market. When I left the company, my buddy took over, he deployed it to Bulgaria and Portugal, sites. I don't know what happened to the Greek partnership meanwhile.

The pine cone is the #1 problem. Aerodynamic combo of oil and wood, something to enhance combustion and something flammable, once it receives energy by being 'licked' by the fire tail, it detonates, gets ballistically propelled off the tree and starts another fire tens to a hundred meteres away if not more.

It'll be a revolution when first "all-weather" CL gets made. The pilots are insane and they'd fly nights if there was enough instrument support for water pick up and drop run. The helicopters are worthless.

I don't know what happened to the Greek partnership meanwhile.
This is so typical of Greece. Not sure which company you talk about. Most definitely not enough government memebers got paid for it to fly!

I don't know the name, I can't recall if I ever did.

Greece actually has a sizable Canadair fleet, a lot less square km per plane than Italy or Spain. But like you said, the lack of daylight is the problem. The picture you put doesn't look great but I believe the settlement in the picture cannot burn down, dense stone and concrete housing. But it doesn't look like fire engines can traverse freely through it either...

I don't know the name, I can't recall if I ever did.

Greece actually has a sizable Canadair fleet, a lot less square km per plane than Italy or Spain. But like you said, the lack of daylight is the problem. The picture you put doesn't look great but I believe the settlement in the picture cannot burn down, dense stone and concrete housing. But it doesn't look like fire engines can traverse freely through it either...
Unfortunately all the air media arrived in Athens. although the fire was contained here we also got major fires in other parts of Greece. Leaving them unprotected was the only option as to save the people here. you see almost half the population lives in the extended area of Athens. This now left us with fire fronts of about 30km in Evoia which are going to just end when they reach the sea as there are no firefighting units there. Man, this is a nightmare! And you got thepolitical parties trying to use this disaster as a mean for manipulation and opposition!

Last edited:
Back