Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

This midnight I'm back home  :)
I feel soo tired, I must be adroad 2 weeks or more -3 different countries and maybe 8 different cities (lost counting)
I should do this thing with the air-miles -I could have some free voyages very soon

Well people, I always rant about how the seventies were the worst decade in human history - and they were! - but honestly, the eighties aren't far behind.

tame by today's standards

I was thinking the same thing while watching Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon some days before...
After that I saw my first Bollywood movie which -strangely enough- I terriblly enjoyed

128865477934188551.jpg

Hey, LC:

You wanna hear a D&D story..?

Okay, so this was years, years, years and years ago...

Me and a couple of other we're playing, and the DM that night was a bit of a tosser. the kind of guy who is incapable of handling things not going according to his script.
So anyways, without any explanation, we get a ring of invisibility. Not I, or any other player, but WE...
So I say, "Sweet, i put it on..."
"No, you can't use it, you have to wear it on a chain around the neck..." I think your seeing where this is going
"Does that make me invisible..?"
"No..."
So, we go to this tavern. for no apparent reason.
And we're in our room. for no apparent reason.
And then this Wraith attacked. for no apparent reason. inside our room.
Our weapons are useless. for some reason. magic won't work on him.
And then he says "Give me the ring..."

Here's how i saw the situation:
- We had a useless ring we couldn't use.
- We were in a tavern where we couldn't shag the wenches or go out of our room.
- We were fighting an unbeatable foe.

My response:

"Here, take the bloody ring and sod off, you wanker..."

After a moment of weird silence from the DM, he just said: "He jumps out the window and runs away..."

:lol:

After having read the book and seen the movies, I now know why he then said: "This didn't go the way I planed..."

Us players were just complete question-marks...

:D

No doubt...

But after the films/book, I keep picturing this:

Frodo being replaced by a NG Fighter, being tossed around the room, and just handing over the One Ring, and saying: "Here, take the bloody ring and sod off, you wanker..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to be in this RP group with my mates many, many years ago. My game master suffered from the fact that I thought this was supposed to be fun while he wanted us to stick to the rules.

Anyway, a part of my inventory was a big bone that apparently vibrates whenever it touches anything magical. And given that we had a witch in our group, you can imagine where this went.

Oh yeah, and the first time I played, I had a mate's character because he wasn't there. First thing he asked next time was why his character sheet said "Minus one hand".

I eventually gave up on this because all those rules were too much for me. I thought it was supposed to be fun, but it ended up being rule-wankery and more about the fantasy world than about using your brains. Also, a discussion among my mates about the history of dragons in the game world gave me the creeps. And many other things. In other words, I had too much fun.

Yeah, some DM's are rule nuts...

Others just read from a pre-made campaign book. only one door out of the room, only one way to solve a problem, etc...

Just goes badly...

You need to find a set of rules that is decently easy to learn, and then you need to find a DM/GM who knows how to use them to tell the story.  Rules are important, because they're how you keep things even and fair, but you need to bend the rules enough to allow people to have fun.  Also, I don't believe in pre-set outcomes in most cases, and even if I do need one (because sometimes the story DOES need the characters to go to a certain place), I can make it look like you just happened to choose the appropriate path.

Eddies Wingman said:
For a non-role player, what's a DM? Dungeon Manager? Dragon Master? Death Metaller? Dumb motherfucker? All of them? None of them?

A combination of the first two on some occasions, the lather on others... :D

LooseCannon said:
You need to find a set of rules that is decently easy to learn, and then you need to find a DM/GM who knows how to use them to tell the story.  Rules are important, because they're how you keep things even and fair, but you need to bend the rules enough to allow people to have fun.  Also, I don't believe in pre-set outcomes in most cases, and even if I do need one (because sometimes the story DOES need the characters to go to a certain place), I can make it look like you just happened to choose the appropriate path.

I agree with the rule bending. There's terribly many rules. I think the rules in the AD&D game and the constantly renewing versions of the Player's guide make the whole thing a bit ridiculous. To constantly look them up and discuss them over and over is very time consuming. Back in the 80's this was really better.

I agree with Per but my take on it is a bit different. I have enjoyed a particular session, in the last couple of years. We had a imaginative DM and a rather nice party. But one bloke knew the rules a bit better than the DM, or at least he interpreted them in a different way in some occasions.

So what's imo very important:
The DM is the boss, even if he ignores/overules some godforsaken rule. If someone else discusses with him/her all the time about rules, interpretations etc., it's annyoying. So in the end, in e.g. a fight, the DM decides what's possible and what's not possible. The story is what matters and the path the party takes.

If the DM is a dick or can't lead a session in a good manner, then find another DM, and see if things improve.

The 3.5 ruleset is my favourite yet.  It's very simple, but there is lots of expansive rules for those who care to do extra stuff.  I am not going to be buying any new rules, I think.

Back