Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Huh.  I just checked the disc that I got in the mail last week and it is a 8.10. 

Oh, well.  Let me know what you think of the new one.

Speaking of nuking and paving, I think I'm gonna do that with the work compy that died.

Ok, I know this is like choosing between dirt and sand, but if you had to run IE, would you stick with 6 or upgrade to 7?

I use firefox at home.  However, all the mfg's that I use require IE... I have tried firefox at work, and I can't access all the options of their sites.

So, I'll upgrade to 7.  Yesterday, I installed the new (to me) compy at work... and I spent all day on the phone and online fixing glitches (which would have taken about an hour for someone that really knew what they were doing).... couldn't find the network printer, kept loosing connection to the server, and at one point said that it had no OS!!  But she runs like a dream now!

LooseCannon said:
Worth it to take the time to upgrade?  Did you nuke and pave?
If I ever do a major upgrade, I always trash the partition and re-install from scratch. It's so much cleaner and it don't take too long - basically, I did my two Ubuntu partitions in a few hours (it also involved re-downloading the some of the software and so on). I left the WinXP partition as is, though.

I'll let you know how it feels after I've used it a bit more.

@Wasted, download it. :D

Popping in again for a moment. Damn, not spending time with you guys at work is killing me; I've already looked at everything The Chive has to offer and I pray for something (besides my access to Maidenfans) to break everyday. I hope you guys had a kick ass April. I'm sure the usual...... alcohol, work and women issues, Maiden, Metal.... la de da.......

[/quote]
Albie said:
If I ever do a major upgrade, I always trash the partition and re-install from scratch. It's so much cleaner and it don't take too long - basically, I did my two Ubuntu partitions in a few hours (it also involved re-downloading the some of the software and so on). I left the WinXP partition as is, though.

I'll let you know how it feels after I've used it a bit more.

@Wasted, download it. :D

I'm trying to get my head around turning one of my machines into a server, but I haven't really got a great deal of knowledge with setting up dns servers etc. I didn't realise how much Windows 2000 Server looks and feels like XP, the disc has been sitting in a wallet for years.

I've heard good things about ubuntu and I've used Linux a few times in the past, Redhat, Mandrake, and some other bootable distros but personally I'm fairly content with just using Vista at the moment (Partly 'cos I like to game). I'll probably go over to Windows 7 but probably a year after its been released. My other pcs are Windows XP/98 dual boot and a tiny little PC I stuck in an old CD Player with Windows XP Media Center.

Had a slight problem on my Firefox; after loading Ubuntu and then my favoured Firefox add-ons, one of the plug-ins caused any video stream from the Beeb's site to crash Firefox. I tried all sorts of crap to disable and/or uninstall the offending plug-in but it would not play ball. I ended up re-loading Ubuntu and start again. All is good now.

As you are obviously a keen motorcyclists, Wasted, what is your opinion on what we see a lot of in the UK. When the weather starts to get warm, we see people riding their bikes in attire that is within the UK law - i.e. a crash helmet. The thing is, the law does not have anything to say about how the rest of your body should be covered so they tend to wear something like jeans and a t-shirt. seriously, what is the point in protecting your head when the rest of your body is being scrapped of the road after they have come off at speed?

Ooohhh!!  :wub: One of my fav discussions!!!

OK, the thing is that I, personally, almost (yes, almost) always wear leather jacket, jeans, gloves and boots/good riding shoes.  I have to admit that I don't always do that-- when I'm in town, and I run up the block for lunch, I'll just have on my helmet, gloves and a sweatshirt-- not  the jacket... 

I have this clash between freedom to choose/ and choosing the right thing to wear.  Most of the people that I know that are serious wear their gear.  My buddy that I ride with, usually wore his gear-- i'd say 99% of the time.  the one time he crashed, no gear on -- he was lucky and didn't get hurt badly, but now wears it 100%.

I wish every one would wear the right stuff, but i always see guys in shorts and flip-flops all the time.  I think that jeans are ok to wear-- not perfect!-- but are ok.

I could go on and on....

Okay, while we're at it... here comes the question I announced a while ago.
When I'm done with my studies, I'm planning to get myself a bike and do some traveling. I mean the real, six-months-on-the-road type of traveling, throughout Asia. I think that with a proper motorbike, I would have the most of it. Alas, my knowledge about motorcycles (or anything motorised, for that matter), can be measured in minus grades.
The question is, what kind of bike can do that sort of stuff the best? I'm talking about seriously straining stuff, like Himalaya-type mountain passes and long desert roads- the real deal, no superhighways. Heavy climate changes -desert, snowy mountains, tropical moisture and so on. By instinct, I'd go for a Harley, but that's probably just the romantic in me.
Then, just so I get a proper picture, the other day, my mate told me that in Germany, for the heavy bikes you'd need to be 25 to get the license (just a couple of months away for me, mind you). Is that just a local formality or is there really such a heavy-class type bike?

Can't answer the question on a decent touring bike and neither have I heard of a heavy-class type bike, but on that last point I know in the UK you have to be of a certain age and have passed a test to ride a bike of a certain cc and above (250cc, I think) - I guess that is not that different from the "heavy-class type bike". Anything below 250cc you can ride on a provisional licence.

@Wasted: an old work colleague of mine was very serious on what he wears when on a bike. He would turn up to work in the height of the summer dressed like he just stepped of the race track (less the sponsors logo's :D). He would say that it does not matter if he sweated like the proverbial pig, as long as he didn't loose most of his skin if he came of. And yes, I do understand the freedom, and such, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons and be, well, sensible.

@Albie, you are right, it is all about sensibilty.  I do agree with that.  Around here, we don't even have a helmet law, so I see guys riding around in all sorts of goofy garb-- and it does often scare me.  I am kinda a snob, and if the guys are scary/stupid, i won't ride with them; i've seen too many bad riders take down good ones.

@ Per... also a fav topic!!  I could go on and on, but a few bikes to look at:

Suzuk, DL650 (or 1000) aka V-Strom.  It is a great 'dual purpose' bike, good for road riding, fire road (dirt,sand, gravel) riding and the occasional creek crossing.  The 1000 would be better overall (i have a friend that rode one from Alaska to the southern tip of South America), but it is a pretty big bike for a beginner.

Kawasaki-- KLR650-- similar to the V-Strom, but I think the suzuki is a little better in the 'off road' department. (the Kaw is kinda heavy)

BMW makes (I think) a 650-- last I knew it was called the Paris-Dakar, and was a really good bike for that-- but expensive as hell. 

KTM would make a great one, but again, expensive as hell

Harley-- romantic as it is, you would be better on a Ural.  The harley is much better now, than before, but it is expensive and prone to breakage over the distance you want to ride....

now, if you aren't gonna be in sand/dirt/water, i would have some other suggestions-- but I am thinking that your tour is gonna take you to some dirty places and the Suzuki would be great for it!

As to the licensing, yeah, I recall that Germany has an age limit on licensing, and that the insurance is insane if you aren't the right age.  The thing you wanna check (and I don't know) is if different countries will abide by your German license, or if you have to follow the licensing laws in the countries you go to...

Wasted CLV said:
Suzuk, DL650 (or 1000) aka V-Strom.  It is a great 'dual purpose' bike, good for road riding, fire road (dirt,sand, gravel) riding and the occasional creek crossing.  The 1000 would be better overall (i have a friend that rode one from Alaska to the southern tip of South America), but it is a pretty big bike for a beginner.

now, if you aren't gonna be in sand/dirt/water, i would have some other suggestions-- but I am thinking that your tour is gonna take you to some dirty places and the Suzuki would be great for it!

Is the Suzuki also easily repairable for a layman?
I also just checked some pics... it looks more like a sports bike, I was told that could get a bit straining on the wrists over time...

As to the licensing, yeah, I recall that Germany has an age limit on licensing, and that the insurance is insane if you aren't the right age.  The thing you wanna check (and I don't know) is if different countries will abide by your German license, or if you have to follow the licensing laws in the countries you go to...

That's one thing I'm going to have to check out in detail. I'm not sure how to pay for all that yet, but there are possibilities that I might get some good cash within the next couple of years.

Wow Per, that's quite a challenge!

You know that Neil Peart has written several books about his motorbike travelling experiences?
Could be mighty interesting to read in advance or on the road.

But maybe he didn't do Asia (which might be the hardest continent for such travels).

Back