Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Perun said:
Is the Suzuki also easily repairable for a layman?
I also just checked some pics... it looks more like a sports bike, I was told that could get a bit straining on the wrists over time...

It actually has a pretty good seating position (for comparison, look at a GSX-R600)... however, if you are wanting something that is simpler, the DR650 would work pretty well...even more relaxed.  As far as repair goes-- it wouldn't be any harder or easier to fix than anything else.  The advantage is that it will be less prone to needing fixed than something like the Harley, BMW, or KTM (some of those brands rock, but are somewhat tempermental).  Most of the things you will be doing are chain adjustment, tire pressure, oil changes-- those are realitively easy.  When it gets to tire/tube changes, and the like, a dealer makes it lots easier.  The thing about lots of these cross continental trips is that they require you to have some basic repair knowledge.... honestly, as awesome as it sounds, its not the best thing for a beginner to do; but, that does depend on if you are driving paved roads between towns, or if you are out in the middle of the desert... you don't want to get stuck out somewhere with no fuel (look into over sized tanks or extra tanks for that purpose)

That's one thing I'm going to have to check out in detail. I'm not sure how to pay for all that yet, but there are possibilities that I might get some good cash within the next couple of years.

Well, good luck with that!!!

There is probably some sort of EU motorcyclist organization that should/could have some pretty good info on traveling cross country.  Also, Rider magazine will sometimes have a good article about that as well.  There was also a guy named Jerry Smith that wrote a book about that-- I think he traveled across Asia and Africa on bike... rafting the bike across rivers and the like.

See?  You knew you kept me around for something!!
Albie said:
@Wasted: an old work colleague of mine was very serious on what he wears when on a bike. He would turn up to work in the height of the summer dressed like he just stepped of the race track (less the sponsors logo's :D). He would say that it does not matter if he sweated like the proverbial pig, as long as he didn't loose most of his skin if he came of. And yes, I do understand the freedom, and such, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons and be, well, sensible.

You know, after re-reading this and thinking, this is one reason that I am so very glad to be living in this age!  When I started riding (20-ish) years ago, there wasn't a lot of good warm weather riding gear available.  Today, however, there are MANY good options for safety wear.  I have a friend that lives in Phoenix AZ, and the problem can be wearing something that is safe, but won't give you heat stroke!  He has this gear that feels like a t-shirt, but has elbow, shoulder and back pads!  I picked up a jacket last year that has all the protection that I could ask for, but is super comfy in the heat of the summer.  yep, lots of time and money has gone into better gear at many temperatures.

hey dude !! it's nice this time zones difference !!
I thought I couldn't find anyone this time  :)

*public announcement*
ooops I'm boarding  :(

Then I shall not worry!
@Per, check out this link.  Looks like I may have originally under-rated the BMW G650GS.

2076121_BMWG650GS01.jpg

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2076121

Also, I hear rumors that Honda still makes the TransAlp 650 over in the EU, so you may want to look into that as well...

Wasted CLV said:
Normally i'd have been up at that time... but I crashed early last night!

what a day  :S my plane got a trouble while on air and returened to the airport
-I'm feeling so nice to be back on earth right now

Quetzalcoatlus said:
what a day  :S my plane got a trouble while on air and returened to the airport
-I'm feeling so nice to be back on earth right now

Yuck, that sucks!!!

The last two nights, I went to an awards ceremony for high-school kids-- my son got a few awards-- one was 'creative thinking' -- the teacher said that he doesn't just think outside the box, he actually lives outside the box, and rarely even visits the box... I laffed.

Tonite was the Spring Band/Chorus Concert.... finished the night with a jazz set.

Just ordered a 6" Paiste Accent cymbal, just for the shits and giggles. Should be interesting.
Still waiting on my Bass guitar though...

I feel like getting pissed tonight. Would be the first time in months.

Back