Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

So cheers for a week or so everyone, off to yet another place in Sweden without internet connection :p. BUT...Stockholm awaits and I'll be sure to return with some great news on Maiden!

SinisterMinisterX said:
Then it appears I started listening before you today, also stopped earlier - since the three I heard from 8am to 1pm Denver time were "The Number Of The Beast", "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and "Aces High".

During the same exact span of time yesterday, they played "The Number Of The Beast", "Flight Of Icarus" and "Killers". And the day before that included "2 Minutes To Midnight" and "Murders In The Rue Morgue".

Generally speaking, Buzzsaw averages about one Maiden song every 2 hours. And about the same rate for Metallica, AC/DC and Van Halen. Maybe one song every 3 hours for Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ozzy solo, Dio* and Led Zeppelin. Those bands are the core of the Buzzsaw lineup.

* This means anything Dio sings on - Rainbow, Sabbath or Dio.

I dig what you are saying.  And that sounds right-- I was listening until about 5:30 central time, and I heard "Can I Play With Madness" right before I left.  Is it 'Octane' (or something like that) that plays newer stuff?  It seems like Buzzsaw plays mostly older Metallica, but I seem to remember a channel that plays newer Rock/Metal stuff.

wasted155 said:
I dig what you are saying.  And that sounds right-- I was listening until about 5:30 central time, and I heard "Can I Play With Madness" right before I left.  Is it 'Octane' (or something like that) that plays newer stuff?  It seems like Buzzsaw plays mostly older Metallica, but I seem to remember a channel that plays newer Rock/Metal stuff.

Octane plays new music, but their focus is on alternative rock and punk and nu-metal or whatever passes for the modern equivalent of those genres. Some of it is good, I'm just not sure how to label it.

Hard Attack is the metal station, with a load of new stuff and a bit of older stuff here and there. This is where you'll find genuine metal. For example, they were playing the new Priest stuff quite a bit when that first came out. I've also heard Maiden on this station - usually old stuff, but "Breeg" once.

So when the new Metallica comes out, it will likely be on Hard Attack, though possibly Octane too.

And even though Buzzsaw stays entirely with the old music - stuff beyond the 80s is quite rare - the DJs there do talk about current music news quite often. They talk about the upcoming Metallica and AC/DC albums every day, plus more.

For example, one DJ said the other day that Chickenfoot is back in operation. For those who haven't heard about it, the lineup is:

Sammy Hagar, vocals
Joe Satriani, guitar
Michael Anthony, bass
Chad Smith, drums

I expect most people here know the first 3 names. In case you don't recognize Chad Smith - he's the Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer, and he's fantastic. If this band ever releases anything, it will be awesome.

And the night after I heard about Chickenfoot being active again, I had a dream where I was at a concert. Two bands on the same bill: Chickenfoot and the current version of Van Halen. And the audience wasn't there for the music. We were all just hoping for a big fight between Hagar/Anthony and the Van Halen brothers.

Deano!!  Nice to see you!!! Hope you had a good time doing whatever you did.

@SMX, thanks, I'll try to find that next time.  I have XM at home, and I haven't found a station on there that is quite that good.  I didn't know the name of that band, until you listed it there, but I love almost everything that Hagar does, and I'm excited to hear something from them!

@LC, Satellite radio is pretty cool-- I don't have it in my car, but often wish that I did. It's $11 per month (I think) and you (mostly) never have to worry about losing your station- SMX could tell you more about it, tho.

I hate you guys.

No you don't. 

Deano!!  Nice to see you!!! Hope you had a good time doing whatever you did.

What's happening Wasted! I've been on leave playing hard. Spent some time down in Fripp Island S.C. I highly recommend it, great beaches!

Sirius really is the best thing ever invented radio wise. They talk all the time about the pending merger between XM and Sirius and I hope it goes through; that would really open up a lot of content for all involved. I never turn on AM or FM radio at all anymore.

LooseCannon said:
I hate you guys.
I think everyone here is great - no, not just great but absolutely Brilliant. :D

I'm also known for my occasional outburst of sarcasm.

Deano said:
Sirius really is the best thing ever invented radio wise. They talk all the time about the pending merger between XM and Sirius and I hope it goes through; that would really open up a lot of content for all involved. I never turn on AM or FM radio at all anymore.

I was just asked a week ago at my favorite cd shop what radio station I listen to and I gladly said, "None, when they start playing something worth listening to, let me know."

Serius is for fat cat capitalist pigs! The peoples should have a right to awesome radio too!

Onhell said:
Serius is for fat cat capitalist pigs! The peoples should have a right to awesome radio too!

Let me see if I can explain this clearly. And I'll try to use small words for you.  :p

First of all, it 'Sirius' (spelled like the name of the "Dog Star", thus Sirius' logo is a dog), not 'Serius' (spelled like ... nothing?)

Second, free radio is free because the advertisers pay for it. Thus, you get commercials. And to make radio palatable to advertisers, it has to play music that will appeal to a wide variety of people. Thus, mainstream music, and little experimentation.

So if you want no commercials and a narrower (but deeper) selection of music on a channel, you can't rely on advertisers to pay for it. Who, then? The listeners, of course.

You get what you pay for. If you want radio that costs nothing, expect it to provide almost nothing.

@ wasted:
Chickenfoot has been in the works for about a year. The word was out there, but hard to find. There was a note about it at the bottom of the Wikipedia article on Sammy Hagar, but that was about it. And as of just a couple months ago, Wiki was saying the project was dead.

So it appears that Satch signing on recently is what changed things. Sirius said today that Chickenfoot will be recording an album in September, and touring by the end of 2008.

Remember that a few years ago, Hagar & Anthony & Satch were doing a project called Planet Us with Neal Schon. Don't be shocked if Schon guests with Chickenfoot sometime, as he and Hagar are good friends and have been playing together since at least the mid-80s.

That is definitely an A+ lineup. I look forward to everything they may and will do. Especially a tour.

@SMX, thanks for the tip!  I haven't heard much music news lately, I'm only around the Sirius channel in-frequently (hopefully to change).  I think that adding Schon would be great!  Didn't Hagar and Schon do something a few decades back called HSAS, or something like that? --maybe thats the mid-80's reference you were making. 

@Deano (D&N  :)) Glad to hear you had a good time!!  Glad to hear it went well. 

SinisterMinisterX said:
Let me see if I can explain this clearly. And I'll try to use small words for you.  :p

First of all, it 'Sirius' (spelled like the name of the "Dog Star", thus Sirius' logo is a dog), not 'Serius' (spelled like ... nothing?)

Second, free radio is free because the advertisers pay for it. Thus, you get commercials. And to make radio palatable to advertisers, it has to play music that will appeal to a wide variety of people. Thus, mainstream music, and little experimentation.

So if you want no commercials and a narrower (but deeper) selection of music on a channel, you can't rely on advertisers to pay for it. Who, then? The listeners, of course.

You get what you pay for. If you want radio that costs nothing, expect it to provide almost nothing.

you forget that FM started as commercial/ad free, FREE radio....

OK then, anyone up for starting our own FM radio station somewhere out in the American desert? If everything goes well, we'll have at least 5 listeners and we may escape FCC scrutiny.

uesc_08_img0481.jpg

Back