Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Nah, not too far north. Getting there is actually a big challenge - most of Canada doesn't have access to the polar region via car. You can if you are in Western Canada drive up to Yukon and such, but in Ontario/Quebec you can't get that far north by car. You have to fly.

When I was in Jakarta, people would drive their own car to work, and then they would call in at 11 am to report that they're still miles away in a traffic jam and need to turn around in order to get back home while it's still daylight.

This is something that actually has to be true, because no way in Hell would you come up with something as ludicrous as this. I'm absolutely serious. :oops:

This is something that actually has to be true, because no way in Hell would you come up with something as ludicrous as this. I'm absolutely serious. :oops:

How about a small wooden house on a back of a city scooter, going 50kph on the highway? Stuff in the house too.

Man, I actually just now realised I even love Mother of Mercy. That's a new one.
In fact, with Nomad disqualified for blatant plagiarism, there are three songs from the reunion era that I don't find too annoying - For the Greater Good of God, Mother of Mercy, and The Great Unknown.
Ditto (but in a much shorter time) the Blaze era, with Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, and Judgement Day - even though the latter shamelessly recycles Be Quick Or Be Dead, and neither actually benefits from Bleating Blaze's assays.
The two uninspired 90's albums with Brucie (which I heartily dislike), on the other hand, have twice as many tracks that are at least listenable, with one of them (Fear of the Dark) being the last really great Maiden song, and another (Judas Be My Guide) being almost there.
Oh, and The Assassin, apart from its idiotic lyrics, is easily the best on NPFTD, with Fates Warning a close second.

Blasphemy message ends.
Seeing the light, Saul?

Isn't it funny how we have hundreds of new members and none of them find this thread?

BTW, I'm back, I'm done sulking and I was in Crete, which was the most amazing place I've ever visited.
Great to see you back Per!

I've been slacking here and spending too much time in the rumors thread.

Hey, I just wanted to say that yes, my patriotism be damned, Czechia really is wonderful. You can virtually... heck literally throw a dart at a map and you'll find a region where you can spend a week just discovering the moderate type of nature, cultural countryside, centuries of history set in stone, because there's a 700 years old castle or humongous church or something, watch vineyards in the sunset, listen to the whispers of the cool stream, go in the mountains where lives something that lives actually only there and so on.

It's just so dense. In fact, we've been travelling only around Czechia the past 7 years and we've always had a blast. Now, I admit, we might be specific, because we like pretty much everything, but it's really mindblowing how loveable the country is.

I know that you could probably say that about a lot of other countries as well, but considering how small and (currently) insignificant we are and the specific combination of history back to Medieval times, both wild and cultivated nature, the mild climate and everything is just something I can't get over it.

And some places are just ridiculously unique.

I first had a longer version of this post prepared, with information, photos and shit, but I don't have the time to put it all here.

But just as an example, take Jáchymov. It's a very old city that actually used to be the second most populous in Medieval times, when silver was mined there.

Then a lot of people left, it became a spa city (there are írradiated springs that are good for certain maladies) and the Communist regime actually turned the surrounding area where uranium was mined - it was actually used for political prisoners ("Has a sister living in Vienna") who sometimes managed to survive only about 3 weeks or so. There's also the infamous Red Tower of Death:

http://www.montanregion.cz/en/czech-component-parts/the-red-tower-of-death.html

However, nowadays the city is a dying town, it has a population of about 2000 or so and there is a lot of wonderful and historically important buildings that have been left for rot and ruin.

Like this

View attachment 15736

(this house is from 1520, IIRC)

View attachment 15737

but also so many nice places which I can't upload because of the file limit-

And there's also an education route called the Hell of Jáchymov around the surrounding nature that talks about the bloody history.

View attachment 15739

For example this is me standing in front of the memorial dedicated to all the Boy Scouts that have been imprisoned and died there

View attachment 15728

Looks depressing, right? Well, it isn't. There's just so much beauty and implied beauty and calm, it is one of the most unique places I've ever been to. Very unknown. Very special.

This is freakin Znojmo and Mikulov

View attachment 15731

View attachment 15732

View attachment 15733

View attachment 15734

This is the town hall in Liberec, I guess just because you can

View attachment 15735

Also, this is a dam. Just a fucking dam, nothing more. Near to where we live

View attachment 15729

View attachment 15730

And that's not even the best stuff, just the first that came to mind and loaded on my FB profile.
Funny story about Jáchymov, we drove through it on the way to Karlovy Vary from Germany. We were not in the town proper, but on the outskirts right by the Jáchymov sign, there were 3 prostitutes, which made me think that it was the more appropriately named city on the planet.

Reactions: Jer
I thought you were writing...

I can do both...
What's the northernmost you've been, did you ever go to artic circle? Seventh Son scenery is one of my tourist wishes.

Stockholm. Not really near the arctic circle, but close enough to learn that "midnight sun" isn't just a figure of speech. Sitting in the park at 3 am with the sun shining, ffs, I still can't get over that.
Southernmost I've been to is Sri Lanka, probably somewhere south of Colombo. I was a kid, it was a long time ago, I don't remember the travel itinerary if I ever even knew it. It's also the easternmost I've been to whereas the westernmost place is San Francisco.

@JudasMyGuide - those are really nice photos from Czechia. I've only been there once, for the Brutal Assault Festival in in 2015. I got to see Jaroměř and some of the surrounding area and it was nice. However, to me personally, it didn't feel extraordinary - just very central European, and thus not very different from what I'm used to. I fully understand and agree with the notion of discovering and appreciating your more immediate surroundings, and I should do that far more myself. It's just, after standing in the unfathomably old ruins of Phaistos hearing the howling winds coming in from the Libyan Sea, it's kind of hard to get excited about something that differs so little from what I see every day.
I'm just not part of the "there's no place like home" crowd.

Well now that you're mentioning it, northernmost I've ever been is Amsterdam. Southernmost, the equator. There's opposite of polar day there, no matter how hot humid middle of the summer is, it's bye bye sun at 6 PM or so. Which was somewhat weird being from Europe associating summers with longer days. Also the weather is very funky (Indonesia, western islands), as it has 2 seasons only, and when it's not a wet one, it's still moist like hell and the moisture just rises and cracks open into rain periodically every 3 days.

@JudasMyGuide - those are really nice photos from Czechia. I've only been there once, for the Brutal Assault Festival in in 2015. I got to see Jaroměř and some of the surrounding area and it was nice. However, to me personally, it didn't feel extraordinary - just very central European, and thus not very different from what I'm used to.

Because you are living in the same country, at least when you fly over it it looks pretty much the same. But we Europeans are very special so we split a small continent with 5 tribes into one hundred countries. And then, look pa, this country looks the same as the one next to it.

old ruins of Phaistos hearing the howling winds coming in from the Libyan Sea, it's kind of hard to get excited about something that differs so little from what I see every day.

Exactly that. It's all about where you come from and what's 'exotic' to you. Personally Rome was absolutely the least exotic place I've ever been to, it feels just like quite large version of home.

Here's why the "Blaze Maiden played bars in USA hence bad" argument is non solid

If you want exposure you won't avoid gigs.

@Perun, that's all fair and square. First of all, yes, our countries are rather similar and I wouldn't think you personally would feel the difference much. But then again, my amazement came also from the fact how small we are, unlike Germany; the contrast makes it fascinating for me.

However, not even everywhere in Germany it's completely the same. I've had the experience myself, but never could put it into words: A friend of mine, who actually walked on foot from Czechia to France (to apologise to Saint Therese of Lisieux - long story, it somewhat makes sense in context), has told me of this feel (and actually wrote it in his book) - I never realised it before, but the feeling was there - especially when he was walking through Germany through some of the states that are historically Protestant in nature (and therefore more... iconoclastic in theory), he suddenly felt really lonely. The countryside was quite beautiful, but something - the invisible influence of human hand that since the baroque period has been trying to create the perfect area where everything is connected with everything and everything has its place, the ponds, the tree-alleys, the vineyards planned so as to allow you to notice this here and that over there and the chapel on the hill and the winding road to elsewhere; the vineyards aligned so as to see the summer cottage, the tree with the calvary giving you a point to see the straight line between that and the stone cross at the fold of the hill, the tree-alley seemingly endless... - was missing.
Because there's a spirit to the place and the country you grow up (especially if you tend to like it). I think that in the book he wrote it something along the lines of "No small calvaries on the corner of the field under a large oak, that would hold the massive, crushing sky above in place so as not to oppress me in a way I for quite a while couldn't really understand, but felt all the same."

I'm not saying one or the other is better, there are even people who find the beautiful, but barren and savage Irish countryside in Calvary (2014) to be the prettiest thing ever. No judgements, just personal preference. Heck, I myself want to see Antarctica, which is as alien and barren and hostile as it gets.

Which nicely fits into the second part of what you're saying: It's all about what you really look for, just like you say. I'm not searching for the exotic; it might be amazing and I'd definitely enjoy it, but to me, the magic is in searching for the extraordinary in the ordinary.
I'm a hobbit in that regard, I like it simple (unlike my art, sometimes) and I also approach this spiritually - I'm trying to realise the unity, the communion of the particular people in that place, the past generations, the current ones, the future ones. The fathers, the grandfathers, the nobility and the serfs, the game-keepers, the grandchildren, those long dead and those that would possibly never even be born etc. You might say on the contrary that this is just as fascinating with historical sites that are much more exotic (and the mystery thereof - it definitely is a thing a lot of people have told me), but it doesn't really work for me in that way.

I'm a "xenophobe" that way - Just like with for example Japanese art, movies and anime - when the known and recogniseable fades and it all becomes alien, I have a hard time connecting to that. It is probably just as well resulting from the fears and panics I had when I was younger - that I would somehow break my mind and sanity and get completely crazy, to the point of not seeing what others are seeing ... and get alienated in a world that's completely foreign. Strange things do not have a huge appeal to me. Sometimes, in the right circumstances, but not in general, not just like that.

That's of course much bigger deal than mere foreign cultures and exotic stuff, but I certainly need to feel the "genetic lines" so as to feel cozy, pleasant, surprised by joy.
Me and wifey have seen further places, indeed, (the furthest was Sri Lanka) but yes, we are always yearning for a home. Where our life, our personhood, our relationships, our experiences were all formed.

It might be similar with personalities, some people need to get to know other people all the time and push for that and some turn inwards. There is a lot to discover either way.

So yes, this probably should have been a caveat. Czechia is not the most unique place ever and a lot of people might fail to see her charms. That's fine and I hope - as usual - that if my contribution could have helped, it did, if it couldn't, at least it did no harm.

And sure, Germany is also very beautiful. In fact, I say that even German language can be really beautiful - I always use the Queen of the Night aria to demonstrate

"Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Sarastro Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!"

That has edge, that third line there is extremely poetic (at least I'd say so), it all has this almost philosophical outlook.

Yes, sometimes there's so much beauty in the world it would seem like you can't even handle it. (And no paper bag and no American Beauty). Beauty heals. Beauty can bring salvation. Pulchritudo salvificabit totum mundum, "the beauty will save the whole world", says Dostoevsky through Myshkin's mouth. I'm more than sure that he's absolutely right.

Sorry for the convoluted and clunky post, but expressing your inner sentiments and sometimes ineffable yearning within, let alone not in your mother tongue is toiling, as a lot of you definitely know.

Last edited:
Back