Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Looking more and more at the keyboard, can't figure out why the dirtiest part is the numpad and page control.

Why do you have toothpicks on your desk ?
Cleaning the keyboard with a single toothpick
To clean the keyboard. This keyboard is old and didn't see use for at least 5 years (I began using it again last summer). Most of the left side is pretty bad (need to press harder than usual), but some days ago the 'w' key decided to work even less reliably, so I wanted to see what it is. Yesterday I only went through the cracks between the keys with the toothpick and picked up dirt from there, but it didn't help, so today I removed the keycaps. I saw the buttons in the left side really were more damaged, of course the 'w' key especially
Untitled6.png
The picture is a little angled, but hopefully you can see the 'w' key is tilted way downwards, the other buttons are relatively how they're meant to be.

I began poking all the out of place buttons (with a flat toothpick), trying to center them. Possibly made a hole in the 'w' button because it was my sick lab rat (and the operation was actually quite successful!) And as you can see in the picture yesterday's session didn't exactly clean everything. So some more toothpicks were used for this.

Artichokes. :puke:
A late contribution to the artichoke discussion.
There are six (6) stages to eating an artichoke.

Step 1 - you begin eating the leaves.

Step 2 - at about the 20th leaf, you remember you also eat the head.

Step 3 - continue eating the leaves.

Step 4 - get to the head and begin eating it.

Step 5 - bite into the disgusting hair bit.

Step 6 - now more carefully finish eating the head.

Just throw it away.

Remove buttons, unscrew, take the top off, take the contact foil out, put everything in a tub with lukewarm water and detergent. Just leave it be for some short time, undrain the tub, shower the rest so you don't get residual filth somewere. Once dried put contact foil on the bottom, close the top, screw, place buttons in.

This is the intended procedure. If you use same keyboard for years and you never done this...newsflash, you should have.

I just received new instructions concerning work from home. They state employees cannot be forced to work from home after August 1st, if they don't want to, which is good news. (Unless of course Corona situation worsens again.)

I've worked mostly from home in the 2019 too. Even without wife/kids distraction, being home alone and working, can amplify every little detail you hate about your living place. It actually made me go straight into renovation. Cause when I was done working I couldn't stay in my own home, I wanted to get out like you want to get out of an average office. It's not all roses even if you have lenient time, do not need to log hours precisely, even with the added freedom degree the vibe isn't the same. I took this into consideration when renovating, tried to make enviroment that is like a home and a workspace at the same time. Sort of open space concept where you move to another corner and your perspective changes. Also I used to have a view over the computer screen, through the window. Now my desk is in front of a wall because outside view is the part of the bedroom or sofa space and not "work" corner.

Renovation and decorating became popular in Finland during the Corona restrictions. :) I really love my apartment, but I've been here so much now that it sometimes feels like being in prison. This place is not very big, and I've designed it to fit my personal needs, not as a working space at all. Luckily I had a big desk I could use, and it's somewhat ergonomic too. But there was a big problem with Teams video meetings, as this place is quite personal, and I'm not sure I want to show it to other people. I don't have any white walls I could use as a background. But it turned out my colleagues usually turn the camera off, so I do the same. I'm happy, however, that you managed to fix your home to better suit your needs. :)

Well I was due anyway. I bought this from a family of 5 with both boys/girls, so this flat of a smaller size was a literal maze, they had 5 rooms going on. The walls were a combo of orange and military/hospital green. The floor was uneven and so was the ceiling.

Hopefully companies will get the work from home thing right. Your home is sacred it is not employer's property. However some companies have a funky way of management. I'm not going to talk about me, but about my friend who is a principal architect in computer science with 20+ years of experience and a hefty paycheck that comes with that amount of skill. He got contacted by someone at Linkedin for some high-paying lead-tech-role "gig". He just hung up on them when they told him about their "productivity application" that everyone needs to install.

Back