Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

A friend of mine, who has always had an interest in heavy metal music but never dove in, asked me a few days ago, "What are the best metal albums from the 1980's?". He said he's finally getting into some stuff like The Big Four, Priest, and early Sabbath. So I gave him this list (In no order):
  • Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
  • Accept - Balls to the Wall
  • Voivod - Nothingface
  • Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
  • Bathory - Bathory
  • Motörhead - Ace of Spades
  • Overkill - The Years of Decay
  • Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
  • Razor - Violent Restitution
Thoughts? It got me atleast thinking about the greatest releases from that decade. I told him too that I felt bad about leaving off Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, and Heaven and Hell. If you're tired of seeing lists on this forum disregard this post.
The list of metal albums I have a friend of mine who was interested in scanning through the genre had the following in it:
  • Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  • Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
  • Metallica - Master Of Puppets
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Megadeth - Rust In Peace
  • Slayer - Reign In Blood
For me it’s not so much about which album is the best, but rather which one could pull someone into the genre. I think all six of these do a good job at showing the heavier and faster sides of metal, but then also the more melodic and ‘musical’ sides as well.

A friend of mine, who has always had an interest in heavy metal music but never dove in, asked me a few days ago, "What are the best metal albums from the 1980's?". He said he's finally getting into some stuff like The Big Four, Priest, and early Sabbath. So I gave him this list (In no order):
  • Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
  • Accept - Balls to the Wall
  • Voivod - Nothingface
  • Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
  • Bathory - Bathory
  • Motörhead - Ace of Spades
  • Overkill - The Years of Decay
  • Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
  • Razor - Violent Restitution
Thoughts? It got me atleast thinking about the greatest releases from that decade. I told him too that I felt bad about leaving off Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, and Heaven and Hell. If you're tired of seeing lists on this forum disregard this post.

Need some King Diamond, maybe Metal Church, Savatage and Helstar too.

Stryper aren't that bad a band. I don't see how Evangelical lyrics are much dumber than what David Lee Roth belched out. The only really ridiculous thing about them is how they tried to use the cock rock image to deliver a message - any message.

Oh I know they're not that bad. I put on To Hell With the Devil every now and again. Christian glam metal is just a very, very low hanging fruit.

I'll have to venture beyond To Hell then. I forgot to ask you Perun, what late career albums from Uriah Heep would you recommend? I did end up listening to Demons & Wizards about 4 times, but nothing off there caught my ear. Not even Easy Livin'. I'd like to give them an honest chance, their live show was good.

I'd actually recommend some of the latest. Wake the Sleeper was very good, as were Sea of Light and Sonic Origami.

Back