Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

With all due respect Zare that came across as, uh, kinda insane sounding! :p

There is nothing insane sounding about self defense.
Maybe the aim to the head part tho :) Really when you know how a cheap air gun shoots it might be useless if the other guy is in a thick jacket. Perhaps wait until summer then shoot him in the sack.

OK, so today I was going to do the last navigation flight with instructor, hoping to do the first solo nav later this week. To the west, beautiful clear skies. Over the home aerodrome a very stubborn layer of cloud.

Instructor is keen to go, thinking it should be possible to sneak out below the clouds and intercept the intended route once we get past, so we prepare the plane, start up and take off ... then realize that instead of breaking up, the clouds are actually thickening. Conclusion: Only safe option is to go straight back and land :grumble: On the positive side, I made a really smooth landing.

Gonna try again tomorrow, if weather permits.
Damn, that sucks! You're getting there though! I can't wait to hear about your first solo flight!

OK, so today I was going to do the last navigation flight with instructor, hoping to do the first solo nav later this week. To the west, beautiful clear skies. Over the home aerodrome a very stubborn layer of cloud.

Instructor is keen to go, thinking it should be possible to sneak out below the clouds and intercept the intended route once we get past, so we prepare the plane, start up and take off ... then realize that instead of breaking up, the clouds are actually thickening. Conclusion: Only safe option is to go straight back and land :grumble: On the positive side, I made a really smooth landing.

Gonna try again tomorrow, if weather permits.
I'm afraid of flying. Have only traveled by plane once when I was 10. But, I intend on doing so again in the future. Gotta get over your fears, right? :p

Better luck tomorrow!

No luck today. In addition to the low clouds, a thick fog is covering the entire city and miles and miles around it. But the forecast for tomorrow and Friday is much, much better :)

I'm afraid of flying. Have only traveled by plane once when I was 10. But, I intend on doing so again in the future. Gotta get over your fears, right? :p

Better luck tomorrow!
You gotta get over your fears, definitely. When I was a kid, a spider in the room would have me looking for a heavy object to smash it ... nowadays I don't care as long as they don't crawl on me. It helps knowing that the ones we have in Norway aren't very venomous ..

One funny thing is that I normally feel uneasy with heights. But inside the aircraft, it's a whole different story even when flying almost inverted (which I did during the pre-solo checkride, where I practiced spin entry and recovery with the chief instructor).

If you have a friend who is a pilot, ask to go up with him in a small plane. Sitting alongside the pilot and seeing how things work during flight might be helpful in overcoming your fears (maybe?).

Back