Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

In terms of covers:

Devildriver - Wasted Years
Testament - Powerslave
Sentenced - The Trooper
Iced Earth - The Trooper
Iced Earth - Transylvania

I can't think of any others right now. It might be worth your while opening up a thread for this in Maiden Chat.

In the present, nobody has been perfect.

Where's my bloody coat?

If I should add some other stuff please lemme know.
Didn't see Thunderstick's Something Wicked This Way Comes, or V1's Armageddon: End Of The Beginning.
Speaking of which, any of you Brits going?
35224839_1799444216778374_8345001274353123328_n.jpg

Maiden FC Magazine arrived!

Lots and lots about Maiden's football activities over the years (ie pics of Steve et al in shorts), nice article about the tour's artwork, big interview with Petrucci about Maiden's influence on him, tour pics and tour rehearsal pics.
Mine arrived today (still an improvement on last time when it was about three weeks later than yours :(). Do you think they start at the north of the country and work down?

Mine arrived today (still an improvement on last time when it was about three weeks later than yours :(). Do you think they start at the north of the country and work down?
I like to think Rod gets members of Maiden and their families to deliver by hand (cheapskate). Seeing as most of them spend a lot of time abroad, Janick's delivery team gets there first.

It's this point. The point where the gallop starts in Alexander the Great. That's the point I became a lifelong Iron Maiden fan. All I could think of was the Companions taking the field at Issue, Alexander the Great at their head, five thousand sarissas taking the Persian flank and crushing it under their weight.

It's this point. The point where the gallop starts in Alexander the Great. That's the point I became a lifelong Iron Maiden fan. All I could think of was the Companions taking the field at Issue, Alexander the Great at their head, five thousand sarissas taking the Persian flank and crushing it under their weight.

That's not what happened, though. Alexander's army never took the Persian flank. That was where they were at their very weakest. Alexander's tactic was always to thrash right in the middle and survive thanks to the Persian demoralisation that set in when the centre broke. At Issus, there was simply no space to outflank the Persians because the battlefield was sandwiched between the sea and the mountains. At Gaugamela, the Persian army was way too big to ever be taken by the flank, and the cavalry at the left flank was one of the deadliest forces Alexander ever faced. The Persians had already won the battle when Darius fled and Alexander only got through it because he knew that all he had to do was get within an arm's reach of Darius.

That's not what happened, though. Alexander's army never took the Persian flank. That was where they were at their very weakest. Alexander's tactic was always to thrash right in the middle and survive thanks to the Persian demoralisation that set in when the centre broke. At Issus, there was simply no space to outflank the Persians because the battlefield was sandwiched between the sea and the mountains. At Gaugamela, the Persian army was way too big to ever be taken by the flank, and the cavalry at the left flank was one of the deadliest forces Alexander ever faced. The Persians had already won the battle when Darius fled and Alexander only got through it because he knew that all he had to do was get within an arm's reach of Darius.
I know, but much like the lyrics of the song, my 16 year old imagination wasn't as historically accurate we might like.

I'm just saying - Alexander was a really shitty tactician who made up for the lack of his tactical thought with the use of brute force. He had one or two strokes of brilliance, as during the siege of Tyre or the battle of the Hydaspes, but even those victories came at ridiculous costs, and he managed to antagonise virtually his entire army repeatedly. He was nowhere near the military genius of a Caesar, Gustav Adolph or Napoleon.

Back