Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

15-4-2017: Today the last living person from the 19th century died.

=======
World's oldest person Emma Morano dies at 117

Emma Morano was born on 29 November 1899 in the Piedmont region of Italy. She was officially the last person born in the 1800s still living.
She had attributed her longevity to her genetics and a diet of three eggs a day, two of them raw.
Ms Morano was the oldest of eight siblings, all of whom she has outlived. She died at her home in the northern city of Verbania.
Her life not only spanned three centuries but also survived an abusive marriage, the loss of her only son, two World Wars and more than 90 Italian governments.

'Good genes and eggs'
Ms Morano had admitted that her longevity was partly down to genetics: her mother reached 91 and several sisters reached their centenary.
But it was also down to a rather unusual diet of three eggs - two raw - each day for more than 90 years.
It was a regime she took up as a young woman, after the doctor diagnosed her with anaemia shortly after World War One.
She had cut down to just two eggs a day, and a few biscuits recently.
Her doctor of 27 years, Carlo Bava, had told AFP news agency that she rarely ate vegetables or fruit.
"When I met her, she ate three eggs per day, two raw in the morning and then an omelette at noon, and chicken at dinner."

Continue: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39610937

Last edited:
@Travis The Dragon let me offer you another perspective on this. I don't know if you've ever flown before, but as someone who flies quite frequently, let me tell you that if I found myself in an overbooked flight and would be asked to give up my seat, law or not, I'd be pissed. The company gave me the promise that they would fly me to a certain spot at a certain time, I made my arrangements around this promise, and I gave them my money for this promise. I am entitled to this service - I am not responsible for the company's poor business decisions. I did my part to ensure that I get this service. I paid for it in advance, I spend several hours getting to the airport, going through security and passport control, I spend extra money at the airport for overpriced services like drinks, which I am not allowed to bring in from outside, I wait at the gate, I perhaps go through frustrating experiences such as rush hour gate changes or technical failures (something frequent at Berlin's third world airports), and I somehow make it through an ill-behaved crowd to get to my seat on board. If I went through all of this and through no fault of my own, I'd be denied the service, I'd absolutely refuse to accept this. If I got dragged out and experienced physical violence, I'd be willing to sue the airline to the point where it is no longer operational.
Sadly, it's what the law says and if that guy had followed the law in the first place, none of that would have happened.

But yes, the airline did overreact and could have handled the situation in a much better fashion. All they had to do was choose someone else to give up their seat.

Sadly, it's what the law says and if that guy had followed the law in the first place, none of that would have happened.

It's not the law that airlines overbook, however. I know they do it a lot, and I know why they do it, vut as a paying customer, it's not my fault and if the company's policy goes to my disadvantage, not only would I never use the carrrier again, I would make sure as many people as possible know that it denied me a service that I was not only entitled to, but put myself in trouble to obtain.

15-4-2017: Today the last living person from the 19th century died.

=======
World's oldest person Emma Morano dies at 117

Emma Morano was born on 29 November 1899 in the Piedmont region of Italy. She was officially the last person born in the 1800s still living.
She had attributed her longevity to her genetics and a diet of three eggs a day, two of them raw.
Ms Morano was the oldest of eight siblings, all of whom she has outlived. She died at her home in the northern city of Verbania.
Her life not only spanned three centuries but also survived an abusive marriage, the loss of her only son, two World Wars and more than 90 Italian governments.

'Good genes and eggs'
Ms Morano had admitted that her longevity was partly down to genetics: her mother reached 91 and several sisters reached their centenary.
But it was also down to a rather unusual diet of three eggs - two raw - each day for more than 90 years.
It was a regime she took up as a young woman, after the doctor diagnosed her with anaemia shortly after World War One.
She had cut down to just two eggs a day, and a few biscuits recently.
Her doctor of 27 years, Carlo Bava, had told AFP news agency that she rarely ate vegetables or fruit.
"When I met her, she ate three eggs per day, two raw in the morning and then an omelette at noon, and chicken at dinner."

Continue: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39610937
I never want to be the world's oldest person, seems whoever gets that title ends up dying

As a side note, I was once briefly the world's youngest person

Re: UA

Rules are you can be bumped for a flight

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

That said, UA could not have handled it worse and should have taken care of it before he got on the plane. This sort of thing happens daily, usually no one ever hears about it, because airlines generally do a good job of it. I have taken a voluntary bump a few times when I was in no hurry to get where I was going and the $ off a future flight was worth it.

They did nothing wrong bumping the guy .. how they executed it was piss poor beyond belief ... that said, they usually handle it well and this does not warrant some massive overhaul some are asking for.

Back