Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I worked in a hotel when I was in college .. we have Ozzy stay with us ... he and the whole band was really nice. I remember our manager was thinking the whole place was going to get thrashed, then the day they checked in, some of the road crew came down and asked if it was okay if they played croquet on the lawn in back of the hotel. About the only damage they did was leave a few incredibly small holes in the grass.

I only saw Ozzy briefly, but Sharon came down to sign for the rooms asked if any of us were fans (about half of us were) and gave us tickets to the show in pretty decent seats and tipped us all on top of it. The woman seems like a first class bitch now, but she was nice to the hotel staff then.

I was hoping we would get more bands I liked after it, but we got 3 or 4 rap bands, the last of which did actually trash the place pretty good, we had 20 or 30 cops there arresting people .. though I think the problem was not so much the band itself, but "posse" hanging out with them. In any case, we got out of the band hosting business after that incident.

Serious question:

Some girl posted in a uni group on FB asking for likes for her and her friend's Halloween costume... they're dressed as KKK members? Really bad taste or whatever?

Some girl posted in a uni group on FB asking for likes for her and her friend's Halloween costume... they're dressed as KKK members? Really bad taste or whatever?

I have a firm rule on FB: if someone asks me to like or share something, I'm not liking or sharing it. You want likes or shares, you need to earn my attention and approval, not beg for it.

Now as for the girls' Halloween costumes: if the girls were black and the costumes had a "Have A Nice Day" smiley face on the back, that'd give me a good laugh. Otherwise, it seems a bit of a "try-too-hard" ploy for attention through controversy, which probably shouldn't be rewarded.

Then again, look up pictures of Keith Moon and his friend Vivian Stanshall sometime -- they used to go around to swinging London nightclubs together dressed in full Nazi regalia, with Keith as Hitler and Vivian as an SS officer. This was only about 25 years after the War was over, so memories of the Blitz and battles in Europe were still in most people's living memory. Bad taste, yes. But they weren't really harming anybody and perhaps there was some lingering sanctimonious stuffiness that needed to have the piss taken out of it a bit.

I have a firm rule on FB: if someone asks me to like or share something, I'm not liking or sharing it. You want likes or shares, you need to earn my attention and approval, not beg for it.
It needs to be brought to your attention. But are you willing to check everything out when someone does not ask that? Or when someone asks you to check it out, you can always decide to like/share yourself.

A game based on toys based on a film based on a film based on a book based on a film.

14908331_10209582649261783_5730828662575294006_n.jpg

I'll check out whatever pops up in my feed if it looks interesting and doesn't waste too much of my time (like watching a long video - that's a big attention ask).

I just don't like being herded and stampeded. "PLEASE SHARE!" "Everybody click Like on this!" Nope. Nah ga do it.

It needs to be brought to your attention. But are you willing to check everything out when someone does not ask that? Or when someone asks you to check it out, you can always decide to like/share yourself.

My experience as a content creator has been that no one looks at the majority of your stuff. Facebook algorithms specifically detract against people (even your own friends/family/fans) from seeing your posts if they are self-promoting unless you pay them money to promote your post. Thus, asking people to share it is literally the only way it will ever get seen by more than 10-15 people.

This of course only relates to, say, posting your own music/videos/etc and not asking people to share political or cute animal stuff - that annoys me.

Back