Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

On the levels of Evanescence or Linkin Park? (i.e. even people who aren't really fans of Metal know/like them)
Yeah, here at least. Before YouTube and fast internet, I used to watch Viva+ and MTV Europe. They were always spinning popular metal/rock stuff, and from what I recall, bands like Nightwish, Evanescence, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Rammstein, Within Temptation, System Of A Down etc were the most popular. I think that around that time, metal bands with operatic female vocals were relatively new, hence the success of NW and WT.

I was in elementary school at the time, and a teen magazine called Bravo was super popular - everyone in school was buying it, including me :p And the bands I mentioned were almost always in it, even though half of the magazine was about pop stars like Britney Spears etc. Hell, I remember that Nightwish was on the front cover for weeks when Tarja left the band.

Now, the European bands I mentioned probably weren't big in USA, because they weren't from USA :p So I understand your scepticism.

Wow, I had no idea. All those bands you've mentioned are extremely popular out here, except NW and WT. But even Within Temptation had a brief brush with fame out here. Nightwish is just as obscure out here as symphonic metal bands like Epica or Rhapsody of Fire. In fact, those two bands are much bigger than Nightwish even.

Epica and Rhapsody Of Fire are bigger than NW here in America? Wow!

Speaking of NW, I've always wondered if the album Oceanborn was influenced by Castlevania because a lot of that sounds just like it could be in some of the games. Especially the earlier ones.

Epica and Rhapsody Of Fire are bigger than NW here in America? Wow!
Of course that's more of an observation and could vary (the USA is a big country after all), but I've come across people who at least know who bands like Epica are. I'm pretty sure Fuse (American TV station) has even played these bands back when they played some metal. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even know who Nightwish was.

This is a list of everything that's on my iPod and of course most of what I'm mainly into and listen to. I do have a few guilty pleasures as you will see. :p

AC/DC, Adam Lambert, Alcest, Alice In Chains, Amaranthe, Anathema, Anthrax, As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, Battle Beast, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, BlutEngel, Candlemass, Captain Beyond, Coven 13, Declan Galbraith Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Devil Driver, Dimmu Borgir, Dio/Elf/Heaven And Hell/Rainbow, Disturbed, Dommin Dragonforce, Dream Theater, Dredg, End Of Green, Endrone, Evanescence, Fairyland, Fates Warning, Fifth Angel, Fiver Finger Death Punch, Ghost, Gojira, Hawthorne Heights, Helloween, HIM, Iced Earth, In Flames, Insane Clown Posse, Iron Maiden(and all side projects of the band members), Jethro Tull, Judas Priest, Junkyard, Karnivool, Kim Fowley, Kingcrow, KMFDM, Lacuna Coil, Led Zeppelin Libera, Linkin Park, MC5, Megadeth, Men Without Hats, Meshuggah, Metallica, Ministry, The Moody Blues, Mot The Hoople, Mushroomhead, My Dying Bride, Neil Young, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Northland, Omen, Opeth, Overkill, Ozzy, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Plasmatics, Porcupine Tree, Power Symphony, Primus, Queensryche, Ra, Red, Rush, Savatage, Sabaton, Scorpions, Sir Lord Baltimore, Skid Row, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Soundgarded, Stone Temple Pilots, Steve Vai, Stryper, Sylvan, Symphony X, System Of A Down, Ten Years After, Tool, Triptykon, Twisted Sister, Type O Negative, Uriah Heep, Van Halen, WASP, Wildestarr, Wishbone Ash, Within Temptation, Wookie Foot, Wovenwar, The 2 Live Crew

This is a list of everything that's on my iPod and of course most of what I'm mainly into and listen to. I do have a few guilty pleasures as you will see. :p

AC/DC, Adam Lambert, Alcest, Alice In Chains, Amaranthe, Anathema, Anthrax, As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, Battle Beast, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, BlutEngel, Candlemass, Captain Beyond, Coven 13, Declan Galbraith Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Devil Driver, Dimmu Borgir, Dio/Elf/Heaven And Hell/Rainbow, Disturbed, Dommin Dragonforce, Dream Theater, Dredg, End Of Green, Endrone, Evanescence, Fairyland, Fates Warning, Fifth Angel, Fiver Finger Death Punch, Ghost, Gojira, Hawthorne Heights, Helloween, HIM, Iced Earth, In Flames, Insane Clown Posse, Iron Maiden(and all side projects of the band members), Jethro Tull, Judas Priest, Junkyard, Karnivool, Kim Fowley, Kingcrow, KMFDM, Lacuna Coil, Led Zeppelin Libera, Linkin Park, MC5, Megadeth, Men Without Hats, Meshuggah, Metallica, Ministry, The Moody Blues, Mot The Hoople, Mushroomhead, My Dying Bride, Neil Young, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Northland, Omen, Opeth, Overkill, Ozzy, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Plasmatics, Porcupine Tree, Power Symphony, Primus, Queensryche, Ra, Red, Rush, Savatage, Sabaton, Scorpions, Sir Lord Baltimore, Skid Row, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Soundgarded, Stone Temple Pilots, Steve Vai, Stryper, Sylvan, Symphony X, System Of A Down, Ten Years After, Tool, Triptykon, Twisted Sister, Type O Negative, Uriah Heep, Van Halen, WASP, Wildestarr, Wishbone Ash, Within Temptation, Wookie Foot, Wovenwar, The 2 Live Crew
Good to see My Dying Bride, Tull and Wishbone Ash in someone 's list. Not the most easy bands to listen to but imo essential to inspect thoroughly. I still need to do that with Wishbone Ash. I only know a few of their albums.

Do you know this Travis?
Sit back, play loud and enjoy this epic ride! :shred:

Lyrics:
[I) The Dawn Of Steel]

[instrumental]

[II) The Pipes Of War]

This is The Story for centuries untold
On a misty morning at the break of dawn
Out of the night as shadows of Doom
Black armours shine in the cold morning light

They come from the mountains, they come from the seas
They come with a purpose, a power to wield
They're ready to die on the battlefield
They're ready to die for the Sword the Gods forged long ago

A sword is laying on an altar of gold
inside a circle of magical stones
Thousands of Warriors behold the Emperor
As he steps inside the circle offering a sacrifice

They come to kill, They come to fight
Armies are raised one against the other
Brave men are lead to death like lambs to the slaughter
All of this just for one man's greed and pride

[III) The Sacrifice Chant]

[Pre Chorus]

Oh Mighty Gods of Chaos!
Let the Power descend from the sky
Give me the Ultimate Weapon
I claim what is mine by right

I offer the Blood of the Nations
Souls as a sacrifice
We come from afar
from our City Of Light for

[Chorus]
The Battle for the Great Silver Sword

[IV) War (The Tyrant's Prayer)]

We come here from far away
From the Mountains and from the Seas
I come to fulfil my Fate
leading men to their demise

Brother against brother
Until no one is left alive
Many souls will sleep in hell tonight
Now it's time for war!

[V) Sword Fight]

[guitar solo]

Fearless in a haze of bloodlust
Riding at breakneck speed
Armies clash one against the other
A sea of blood flooding the field

And as the thunder roars in the distance
The setting sun paints a crimson sky
And as the Tyrant raise the sword
The Silver Sword is Broken, oh no!

[VI) The Sword Is Broken]

[pre chorus]

Oh Mighty Gods of Chaos!
No Power descended from the sky
I craved for the Ultimate Weapon
I claimed what was mine by right

I offered the Blood of the Nations
Souls as a sacrifice
I came from afar
from my City Of Light to die for...

[Chorus]

[VII) The Sunset Of Steel]

Last edited:
My freelancing might be taking off. Booking seem to happen the last minute though (booked 5 days counting yesterday until the upcoming Tuesday). Conferance gigs, although they pay well.
I need to find a third customer though.

My grandmother passed away at 20:16.

restin10.jpg

So sorry, Saap, I hope she's at peace now.

I earned a real piece of shit wage when I was an employee. eight hours earned me 650 (excluding vacation pay) SEK a day after taxes. Now the other company which I'm starting to do conferances for, asked me if I could stay four hours longer on monday. Those four hours alone, after taxes equals 850 SEK at my standard charging rate.

Thank you, all, that's nice of you.

Did she have a good ending, so to speak?

She was in the hospital for the past six months or so due to great health problems. On the other hand, during the couple of hours my father spent there yesterday (he wasn't there at the time of death), she was said to be happy.

I had a dog accidentally drive its nail into my toe today. It's still bleeding a fair amount.

Nah, full grown dog. I wouldn't say sharp as in incising, but a more blunt kind of sharp, if that makes sense.

Back