Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Now playing: "Song For America", by Kansas.

Any persons who are fans of progressive rock must check this song out if you've never heard it before. Nine minutes and seven seconds of absolute perfection. Here's a video from YouTube where someone put the music over film of a US flag. (So you can ignore the video, but let it run and listen to the sheer bliss).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLEnXen4XQ

Before you make the mistake of thinking this is a pro-USA song, check out the lyrics. The "America" in the title is the continent of North America, and the song is about what has happened to it since Europeans came over here a few hundred years ago...

Virgin land of forest green, dark and stormy plains, here all life abounds
Sunlit valley, mountain fields, unseen in the rain, here all life abounds
No man rules this land, no human hand has soiled this paradise
Waiting patiently, so much to see, so rich in Earth's delights

Painted desert, sequined sky, stars that fill the night, here all life abounds
Rivers flowing to the sea, sunshine pure and bright, here all life abounds
No man rules this land, no human hand has soiled this paradise
Waiting patiently, so much to see, so rich in Earth's delights

So the maiden lies in waiting, for the sails to reach the shore
Land of beauty and abundance, innocent, you opened wide your door
Wanderers found the waiting treasure, full of gifts beyond their measure
Milk and honey for our pleasure.....

Across the sea there came a multitude, sailing ships upon the wave
Filled with visions of Utopia, and the freedom that they crave
Ravage, plunder, see no wonder, rape and kill and tear asunder
Chop the forest, plow it under.....

Highways scar the mountainsides, buildings to the sky, people all around
Houses stand in endless rows, sea to shining sea, people all around
So we rule this land, and here we stand upon our paradise,
Dreaming of a place, our weary race is ready to arise.

And if all you know about Kansas is hits like "Carry On Wayward Son" or "Dust In The Wind", check these out:

"Portrait (He Knew)" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2DGjBH7tHE
"The Wall" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPAva53jGnc

Albie said:
Not-so-interesting-fact-of-the-day:

The most Northern, Western and Eastern points in the USA are all in one state - Alaska. The Northern and Western are fairly easy to understand, but Eastern? - well, The Aleutian Islands string out from the mainland and cross the 180[sup]o[/sup] of longitude that separates the east and west......

No go out and amaze your friends with that piece of trivia.

You forgot the highest point in the USA, which is also in Alaska:
Mt. McKinley, peak elevation 20,230 feet (6194 meters)

That's also the highest point in North America, not just the USA.
And there's a movement to have the mountain referred to by its Native American name, Denali - "Mt. McKinley" is falling out of favor.
Powergirl81 said:
Kansas Greatest Hits and Left Overture  :ok: Those 2 are my favorites

No, no, no.
The album title is one word: "Leftoverture".
This is very important: it's a portmanteau of "leftover" and "overture".
Your version emphasizes the "overture" part too much.

But you do earn a bit of my respect for knowing that album. It's a masterpiece.

Totally Useless Trivia:
(also know as, Meaningless Coincidences To Be Found In The English Language:)

In 1988, Edie Brickell And The New Bohemians released an album called Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars. This album (and in fact, that band) was best known for its lead single, "What I Am" (is what I am is what you are, oh yeah).

Now take the initials of that album title - SRATS - and spell it backwards ... you get STARS, the last word in the title!

I challenge anyone and everyone to find another album title with that property.

Drown me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
Now playing: Metallica, "Invisible Kid".

See, these are the dangers of putting my 15000+ song collection on random play. There's some crap I'm willing to delete - which is why my collection is down from 17000+ to 15000+, as I recently deleted a couple thousand crap songs. But other crap is worth keeping for archival value. As I am a Metallica fan, I feel obligated to have a copy of all their stuff, even if some of it sucks donkey balls.

Now you might argue, why keep it on my computer? Doesn't my CD of St. Anger serve this purpose? (Yes, this is one of the albums I actually own legally. I paid money to buy this, on the day it came out. I'd ask for my money back, but the record store where I bought it (a Tower Records outlet) has since closed.) The thing is, how can I honestly criticize Metallica if I can't examine their crap to remind myself that it's crap? And in the unlikely case that someone suggests there's something good about St. Anger, I want to be able to listen to it and see why they're wrong.

And in the time it took to write all that, the music has changed...

Now playing: Frank Zappa, "Dog Breath".

This is the version with Flo & Eddie from the live album Just Another Band From L.A., an album most memorable for the epic rock opera "Billy The Mountain", which contains the uplifting final chorus:

Don't fuck around!
Don't fuck around!
Don't fuck around with Billy!

A lesson which I'm sure we can all take to heart.

Edit: Oh fucking fuckall. I thought I waited long enough to make this a separate post. Damn you, SimpleMachineForumSoftware!

PiranhasSM.jpg

badgersonatram2mq1.jpg

bearspostersmds0.jpg

I must say that it turns my stomach to see so many people putting so little effort into posting in this thread. Just because it's the Madness forum, and just because we're now aiming for #8000, is no cause to be lazy. A single smilie does not a respectable post make!

If you have enough time to waste that you can post here, then you have enough time to say something. Even a single incoherent sentence will do. Or quote a song lyric if you have nothing better.

Example:

I can't stand to be around...
I get sick when I'm around...
I hate everything about you.

I usually make an effort to put more than just a  :D in my posts...Maybe I'll do that for post 8000...

Or make out "Iron Maiden" in all smileys!

Oh no, that would take too long! I'd miss it!  :p

I predict that #8000 will be reached on Sept. 11.

Which will make it an emotional day:
Sad about 9/11.
Angry about fuckwads like Bush using 9/11 for political gain.
Happy about #8000.
Overjoyed that it won't be Yax getting #8000.
(I'll abuse my mod powers and use the nuclear option if he does.)

Will you be overjoyed if I get #8000?  :D

September 11 isn't that far away...we're only on post 7057...loooonng way to go!

SUPER SPAM!  :D

Well, I thought it was pretty funny to see four of the same smilie...  :ninja:

By the way, I just got tickets to a Helloween gig in December!  It'll be my first metal concert ever.  :yey:

Drawback: it happens to be on my exam week...

SinisterMinisterX said:
If you have enough time to waste that you can post here, then you have enough time to say something. Even a single incoherent sentence will do. Or quote a song lyric if you have nothing better.
Or a thought for the day:

"There's no problem so large it can't be solved by killing the user off, deleting their posts, closing their account and reporting their REAL earnings to the IRS/Inland Revenue/whatever."

That's more a Mod thought for the day really. :D

Back