Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Galatasaray's women's basketball team became the European champions by beating their arch rivals, Fenerbahçe. What's better than beating your rivals at the biggest stage? Congrats, girls!

11.5 hours til my weekend starts! It was 80 yesterday, calling for 70 today.... (all temps F). Calling for high of 39 and snow on my day off! :)

This is how I want to go ...

squirrell.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about getting a tablet instead of a new netbook. Thoughts?

Depends on what you will be using it for ... if it is primarily reading and little typing, I would go tablet. Otherwise Notebook. My kid bought a hybrid, you can detach the screen and use it as a tablet or while it is attached it is a laptop (but a laptop with a touchscreen which is nice). The benefit is you get both, the drawback is you have a smaller hard drive than a normal laptop and the tablet is heavier and the battery does not last as long as a regular tablet.

I bought a Lenovo Twist which is pretty lightweight, but does not detach.

I'm not certain yet. My primary motivation is to have it as a mobile reading device, with writing as a secondary function. I've seen some people carry around tablets with USB keyboards in the library, that looked less fussy than you'd think.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a tablet instead of a new netbook. Thoughts?

Yeah, it's basically what bearfan said. It depends on what you'll be using it for. Casual use (not much typing, mostly reading, apps etc.) would be best served by a tablet. If you want to do a bit more typing, surfing the web then I'd grab a notebook. You can grab a detachable keyboard for tablets, but I've found that for the most part they aren't as good as a regular keyboard. One thing is that notebooks won't have touchscreens at the price you'd probably be looking at unlike tablets, just something to note.

Yeah, a bunch of people at work have those and carry them around to meetings. If you are thinking of using it essentially as a book reader/internet browser device, maybe do both. I bought a Nook a while ago, they are cheap as hell since Barnes and Noble are getting rid of them, but they are full on android devices (so you can install anything on including other book readers .. like Amazon and it works well with most apps and videos) ... you can get a portable keyboard for it as well.

Then keep your laptop when you need something more computery.

I've got a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad that works quite well.
I found that after the initial fun though, I don't use it that much.
Think that's because I'm rarely writing anything longer than a Maidenfans post away from my computer at home or at work.

Yeah, it's basically what bearfan said. It depends on what you'll be using it for. Casual use (not much typing, mostly reading, apps etc.) would be best served by a tablet. If you want to do a bit more typing, surfing the web then I'd grab a notebook. You can grab a detachable keyboard for tablets, but I've found that for the most part they aren't as good as a regular keyboard. One thing is that notebooks won't have touchscreens at the price you'd probably be looking at unlike tablets, just something to note.

That is why I like the Twist I bought or the hybrid laptops, they have touch screens, which are nice.

I'm using a USB keyboard with my current laptop, and I infinitely prefer it to the built-in one. I guess the main thing I'm going for really is a reading device that's easy to handle and has a bigger display than my smartphone.

It sounds like a table it probably the way to go then for you.

Maybe look at the hybrid laptops if you see the need for having an actual computer on occasion (they would be running Windows instead of Android or iOS ... not sure if that is a plus or minus for you)

Back