Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Mega said:
The drummer barely knows the song

What? It's a goddam rock and roll classic. Love it or hate it, that song changed the entire rock world. That's like not knowing "Blowin' In The Wind" or "Purple Haze" or "Stairway To Heaven" or "Anarchy In The UK". Some songs are too big not to know. Your friend is an ignoramus, on this matter. I only hope he's not as ignorant about everything else.

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
My blackberry has a full keyboard and I can type just as fast on that as on my computer. Did you get the new one with the touch pad Albie?
My old Blackberry had a full qwerty keyboard, but this one is a Pearl. Like this:

bb8110.jpg

Wasted CLV said:
Two letters?  weird.  Gotta learn to type all over again!
I'm glad you saw through my typo. :D

SinisterMinisterX said:
What? It's a goddam rock and roll classic. Love it or hate it, that song changed the entire rock world. That's like not knowing "Blowin' In The Wind" or "Purple Haze" or "Stairway To Heaven" or "Anarchy In The UK". Some songs are too big not to know. Your friend is an ignoramus, on this matter. I only hope he's not as ignorant about everything else.

He's actually a friggin' autodidact genius. Probably the smartest drummer ever(not that hard though).
And I'm not saying that to defend him, he pissses me off.

Anyway the point is that he knows the song but can't play it from memory and can't remember the order of the verses and what not.

Then he doesn't care enough to do a good gig. Fire him and get a drummer who cares.

(to be fair, the drummer on that track is one of the best musicians of his era)

He's the one who offered me to do it, he's the only drummer I know, he's one of the only 4 "musicians" in my school, counting me.
We'll try again tommorow and if it's a lost cause I'll abort the whole thing.

Albie said:
My old Blackberry had a full qwerty keyboard, but this one is a Pearl. Like this:

I'm glad you saw through my typo. :D

Yeah, I had looked at the 'Blackberry Flip' but decided to go with the Curve, cause it cost me $10.... too cheap to pass up! (and, yeah, I knew what you meant :) )

LooseCannon said:
(to be fair, the drummer on that track is one of the best musicians of his era)

Irrelevant, on a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit. Grohl is indeed a great drummer, but the song doesn't require great drumming. It requires the ability to play two different beats: one soft, one loud. And the structure is simple as simple gets: verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo  - verse - chorus, just like every rock song ever.

Any drummer who can't at least fake through that needs to REDACTED himself.

I said "can't" with a more "needs practice" vibe.
Point being he needs to listen to the song. Other then that he's pretty good I guess, I can't really judge how good a drummer is unless he totally sucks.

I keep forgetting the song is almost two decades old. Because in 1992 you couldn't escape it. It's perfectly burned into my memory forever.

(except I still can't understand half of the lyrics)

Yeah, we were kinda born in 92.

And I actually agree with you, it's one of those songs you just have to know.
And he does know it, just not well enough to play from memory.

Yep, if its good, it doesn't matter when it was written. 

That is a song, that if released today, would be a hit. 

You are correct.  I was bummed, my kid saw Foo Fighters last summer and it rocked... I wasn't there for it.

You know you spend too much time on Maidenfans when you think ATG is an acronym for Alexander the Great not the complementary base pairing of TAC :(

Eddies Wingman said:
I know what a foe is, but what the hell is foo?

Story I was told is that 'foo' was some older word for 'ufo' and 'foo fighter' is someone that spots ufo's. 

Well, especially since David Ducovney (sp?) Retired from X-files... I havnt had to lift a foo-kn finger.

Back