LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe more simplistic drum arrangements could save Aces and FOTD and TNOTB? Like on Virtual XI? That way Nicko could play them closer to album speed, and livebit wouldn't sound so awkward?
I don't know if it's just an issue of the drum arrangements - I think a lot of it is accommodating Bruce, so he can actually get the words out.

I don't know if it's just an issue of the drum arrangements - I think a lot of it is accommodating Bruce, so he can actually get the words out.
The drums definitely have lot to do with it but this is probably the bigger reason. Listen to the New York '99 bootleg for example. Aces High is a bit, uh, up there and Bruce is definitely having a bit of a time trying to keep up physically getting the words out of his mouth at more or less the correct pitch:

Note that the tempo goes up by a fucking lot on this take, like it does even on the album version. The end harmony sounds like a different song compared to the one in the beginning. I might even argue that this is what it should sound like but understandably the 90s were probably the last time it was feasible (if barely) for them to play this fast live.

They can just retire Aces or any other song that will be potential struggle for some band members.

They have plenty other songs in the line, only Adrian needs to remember solos. :D

For me they are still in great shape, I just dont want them to become some joke band in next few years. Since Bruce said that they are not planning to retire soon, I hope they will make smart moves for future tours.

The drums definitely have lot to do with it but this is probably the bigger reason. Listen to the New York '99 bootleg for example. Aces High is a bit, uh, up there and Bruce is definitely having a bit of a time trying to keep up physically getting the words out of his mouth at more or less the correct pitch:

Note that the tempo goes up by a fucking lot on this take, like it does even on the album version. The end harmony sounds like a different song compared to the one in the beginning. I might even argue that this is what it should sound like but understandably the 90s were probably the last time it was feasible (if barely) for them to play this fast live.
Yeah this is insane. Around the solos it gets up to 290bpm, then drops back down to the 275-280 range, but by the last chorus is back up around 285. Just way too fucking fast, it chokes the life out of the song.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this... Catch us if you can... And he can't. Definitely feels too light and loses much impact at that pace.

Yeah this is insane. Around the solos it gets up to 290bpm, then drops back down to the 275-280 range, but by the last chorus is back up around 285. Just way to fucking fast, it chokes the life out of the song.
It's pretty telling the B-side they put out from later on the tour is actually slower. I guess those early shows were full of adrenaline so you got 90s Maiden tempos but on speed.

This is insane tempo. Literally sounds like a different song.

Jesus Christ. Almost a different song

Reminds me of the Metallica concert from Toronto ‘86 you can find on YouTube. James has them at lighting speed the entire show

They have been much more conservative with tempos since 2012, when Nicko started using a metronome to get a tempo before counting off the song. However, this year Aces High is the slowest it's ever been. Here's my quick analysis.

I chose a few different versions from over the years, and tapped out the tempo on my metronome in the section leading up to the guitar solos and through the last chorus. It's all very approximate because they don't use a click so the tempo varies quite a bit throughout the song.

Live After Death: 260-270bpm
Mumbai 2008: 255-265bpm
Knebworth 2014: 245-255 bpm
Tallinn 2018: 245-255 bpm
Rock in Rio 2019: 240-255bpm
Zagreb 2022: 230-240bpm
Thanks, this was just the kind of detailed answer I was looking for.

They have been much more conservative with tempos since 2012, when Nicko started using a metronome to get a tempo before counting off the song. However, this year Aces High is the slowest it's ever been. Here's my quick analysis.

I chose a few different versions from over the years, and tapped out the tempo on my metronome in the section leading up to the guitar solos and through the last chorus. It's all very approximate because they don't use a click so the tempo varies quite a bit throughout the song.

Live After Death: 260-270bpm
Mumbai 2008: 255-265bpm
Knebworth 2014: 245-255 bpm
Tallinn 2018: 245-255 bpm
Rock in Rio 2019: 240-255bpm
Zagreb 2022: 230-240bpm

Thanks for the detailed analysis!

Do you know what the tempo of the studio version is?

Now listening to this, it sounds like almost different song all in all. So fast and intense loaded with energy..I haven't listened to any 1999 shows for while, but now it really makes inspect this thing further. I didn't remember that they played this that fast back then when I saw them live in 1999.

Now listening to this, it sounds like almost different song all in all. So fast and intense loaded with energy..I haven't listened to any 1999 shows for while, but now it really makes inspect this thing further. I didn't remember that they played this that fast back then when I saw them live in 1999.

Very fast. This is a recording of the song at the show I went to.

If hyper-critical 'fans' had YouTube in 1999: 'Wow Bruce is completely out of breath during the verses of Aces High, and he's choking on the chorus, he doesn't even do the scream at the end! And where's the crowd interaction? He says the intro to the evil than men do before phantom of the opera, is he going senile? And they're only playing for 1h 40 mins... This reunion is such a cash grab, they must be short of money, I can't see them keeping going much longer like this.'

If hyper-critical 'fans' had YouTube in 1999: 'Wow Bruce is completely out of breath during the verses of Aces High, and he's choking on the chorus, he doesn't even do the scream at the end! And where's the crowd interaction? He says the intro to the evil than men do before phantom of the opera, is he going senile? And they're only playing for 1h 40 mins... This reunion is such a cash grab, they must be short of money, I can't see them keeping going much longer like this.'
Indeed, but if I had a chance here (like with DeLorean) I would like to go back in time and see that 1999 show again, as it was my first one. Still getting goosebumps and feelings when think of those times and it was such pleasant time. Night that I will never forget and Im so glad that we still have Maiden here with us. Maiden still delivers and every show I've seen has been experience all in all. Next week going to see them again!

They had better than Youtube: the Out Of The Silent Planet single. It's undeniable Bruce struggles a bit to hit the high notes on the chorus and I'm glad he didn't pull the air raid siren at the end since it wasn't the same even by now (just check the beginning of Killers from the same tour featured at The Wicker Man single). And I'm glad he did so since that sustained note at the end sounds amazing. Bruce's voice was still stellar at the turn of the century but fact is since the reunion he started to struggle a bit to hit the most demanding high notes - air raid siren screams especially - like he did in 1985 and prior. Regarding the setlist and overall performance this tour is easily one of Maiden's best ones ever IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back