LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kalata @Magnus where's the review? :(
Since you mention it, here it goes:
(Not a review really, more like random impressions trimmed to avoid spoilers for you merry malakas in Athens on Saturday, or anyone else still to see the gig).
First time ever I go to see Maiden, or any other band for that matter, for a second time within the same tour. Still, the first time was almost exactly four years ago, and with new songs, sands of time running low and what not, I didn't have much of a choice, did I. Objectively, compared to that gig in Plovdiv '18, the setlist was more interesting for me cause of the new songs (although I wouldn't be upset at all if they hadn't decided to include Blood Brothers for some reason); subjectively, the Plovdiv gig, with Mrs. M, @Ariana , @Perun and @Night Prowler was more fun. On the other hand, I was with a mate from uni and work, bumped into a Sofia Magpies teammate, a schoolmate I hadn't seen for nearly 30 years and a childhood mate I hadn't seen for probably two decades - but I digress. Also, compared to Plovdiv, all the visual stuff seems to work better if not in open air indeed. I'm glad I went and I enjoyed the gig. I could say some rather rude things about the venue and certain members of the audience but this has little to do with the band, the tour, or the thread so I won't.
Enjoy your gig later!

The sound of the Donington pro clips was pretty similar to the sound they have in concert, I thought. I could hear all the important parts, but they‘re in mono. I think Maiden have been in mono for a long time live, haven’t they? Probably because rhythm/solo guitar roles are changing frequently, and people on Janick‘s side want to hear Dave‘s solos too, etc. I think there should be a better solution, but I‘m not a live mixing engineer.
Most live gigs are mixed mono because very few in the audience are placed to get a decent stereo image, plus as you mentioned you don't want one side of the audience to not get to hear the guitarist at the other side. It's all about getting a consistent mix for as many people as possible.

Probably will, as there is no need to change them quickly mid gig.
If the stage design is the same, I think the middle pagoda will be removed (so we can see the backdrops clearly) but the two pagoda towers will remain because it will look better with them imo and because there were two towers for the previous two album tours too.

Edit: I doubt they will change the stage set (because they didn't change TFF stage set in 2011) and I'm not sure what else they can think of, the current stage design fits the title of the album perfectly - maybe a wall/castle type of stage, but it will be similar to the DOD stage set.

Last edited:
--but the two pagoda towers will remain because it will look better with them imo and because there were two towers for the previous two album tours too.

Agreed, but I wish they'll be solid, built towers rather than inflatables. Overall, I think the concept of the current Senjutsu stage set is fine, but I'd like to see something more refined for the actual album tour next year. Hopefully so!

I don't like Senjutsu stage set. Too claustrophobic, plus brown color is not "interesting". Maiden and wooden ancient Japan landscape don't fit very well, imo. Book of Souls stage was great. Those stone walls look much better/expensive than Legacy tour decorations, which look very cheap, only the Cathedral reveal saves the stage decor.
4a394c_ee3f0638f85342bda14c6c9d992e664d~mv2.jpg

Last edited:
I’m thinking in all the stuff Maiden use and how to fit in trucks. I think that the instruments, mixing and Lightning desks, PA, lights and structures could be fit in 2 or 3 trucks. Backdrops, eddies, big eddie head and front cheap 2D stones, sunbath armchairs fit in another one. And finally they could need 2 or 3 to fit many of rolls of:

1657888681838.jpeg

Most live gigs are mixed mono because very few in the audience are placed to get a decent stereo image, plus as you mentioned you don't want one side of the audience to not get to hear the guitarist at the other side. It's all about getting a consistent mix for as many people as possible.
Is that so? How do Metallica do it nowadays, live? In their "pro videos" ("blackened recordings" or whatever), I think James and Kirk are hard left and right. They probably don't do that in concert completely, but...

I could imagine Maiden live sound working in stereo, if you pan:

Bruce/Nicko center
Dave/Janick 50% left/right
Steve/Adrian 25% left/right
So, left to right: Dave - Steve - Bruce/Nicko - Adrian - Janick

What makes it work is panning Steve, of course -- blasphemy, madness ! -- because this way you don't have the problem of the 3rd guitar. Steve has a very midrange-y sound, the real low stuff comes from Nicko. Anybody following me? This would make for a natural panning field -- more like a band or ensemble sounds with no PA. And yes, if you go to a symphony concert and sit in the first row to the left, your sound will be approx. 70% first violins as well.

I don't like Senjutsu stage set. Too claustrophobic, plus brown color is not "interesting". Maiden and wooden ancient Japan landscape don't fit very well, imo. Book of Souls stage was great. Those stone walls look much better/expensive than Legacy tour decorations, which look very cheap, only the Cathedral reveal saves the stage decor.

Even worse than the Senjutsu theme stage design is the whole Tshirt merch all around Senjutsu IMHO. There's not a single shirt based on Senjutsu that comes even close to looking good.

IMG_20220716_174705.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back