LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why post 2009? Shouldn't it be post 2001 as you mention Rock In Rio 2001? :)
I think there's some valid performances between 2002-2009.
As I said, I think Bruce's age has been showing since TFF tour. 1999-2009 was a great period for Bruce. You can easily find spectacular examples of live singing from any point during those 10 years.I'd say that he had started to show signs of wear roughly around 2007 (see the Donington gig for reference), but nothing serious until TFF. . Mother of Mercy sounds absolutely terrible in the chorus.

In every Maiden live show I've seen (since 2013), I've always been surprised how good Bruce sounds. The sound of his voice is a bit different from what it was in the 80s, but I think he sings better. (I must admit though that my concentration in shows may be limited, as I'm usually just so thrilled to be seeing Maiden live.)

Bruce might not be as strong vocally as he was 10 years ago, but at least it's not as bad as this

This is seven years later

The latter is a quite good performance. The first is Bruce coping fairly well with an obvious cold or something, by changing around the vocal lines. Bruce is an excellent singer. He's just doesn't sing as effortlessly at 61 as when he was 43 years old. Fairly sure Usain Bolt won't run as fast when he's 60 as he did when he competed.

Last edited:
Bruce is still a beast live. He always sounds amazing to me (both studio and live).

His two best performances since the reunion (and they are two of his best performances ever) are RIR 2001 and Ullevi 2005.
No love for Chile 2009?

In every Maiden live show I've seen (since 2013), I've always been surprised how good Bruce sounds. The sound of his voice is a bit different from what it was in the 80s, but I think he sings better. (I must admit though that my concentration in shows may be limited, as I'm usually just so thrilled to be seeing Maiden live.)

Definitely for me aswell. I've seen them live and each performance I've witnessed it's just great as always. Bruce's voice is different that's for sure but have to remember that he's getting older as we all are, but they still deliver it and Iron Maiden has never let me down. Seeing them live, each time it's ritual and taking me back to those childhood times in the mid80's when I found Iron Maiden. Of course, they're older and even performing at that level of professionalism with all the energy getting back from the audience they've still doing amazing live-shows. Some songs might not sound critically close to what they were, but Im not too picky at all. I guess, that the 2005 show and 2008 shows that I saw were awesome really. Personally, I feel that the 2008 were among the finest times ever for being fan and general feeling in the fan-base and in general was really top.

@KidInTheDark666 Good picks and points. I agree with you here and I won't be doing analysis of each performance separate. 2008 and 2009 were great years. Thanks to whoever it was, even if Bruce was having rougher edge going 2014-2017, then seeing him live on this LOTB-tour proved that the voice was a bit back, he did somehow sound better after the whole cancer thing..luckily it turned out that well.
It's unfortunate that Bruce might get bit cold and it affects his voice, it must even affect more when older, which surely is anyways different due to the age but luckily he's managed to keep it going pretty nicely. It's easy to see/hear that he's not doing as easy and effortlessly as used.

Bruce is not quite as consistent thorough the set as he was in... say, about ten years ago, but I think his post-cancer +1 dedication (that's how I'd put it :D) to every single performance and re-found ability to hit some very high notes makes up for it quite well. Then again, he's definitely not quite as "in-control" nowadays, but overall quality and ability to carry even the most demanding songs is still there. This year has been a bit more rough and inconsistent, most likely due cold, than 2018, but he has had some absolutely amazing nights as well.

I don't mind occasional roughness in his delivery, since he actually delivers most of the songs much more elaborately than back in 2011for example. The Trooper, Fear of the Dark, The Wicker Man... even in 2 Minutes to Midnight he sounds more "in the zone" than in pretty much any footage from almost a decade earlier.

Long story short, while his technical consistency has weakened over the years, the overall colour and delivery he brings to performances has, in my opinion, taken one or two steps above TFF/ME days where he had some amazing nights and then there were nights when the set was just kinda... Played through. Professionally with all the quality standards of a Maiden show, but I definitely agree with those who find a lot of extra spark in LoTB. :)

Apologies if some of the phrases I used were off or just weird. :)

Do any of you remember, that did Bruce have any problems on LOTB 2018 tour opener in Tallinna?
I recall someone mentioning that Bruce's voice didn't quite blossom and boom on that first date? I saw the Helsinki-shows (#2 and #3) and I think he truly nailed it there. But Im not the most analytic and critical person to judge these anyways.

I wasn't at the Tallinn show but the videos seem to indicate that it was a good night for Bruce. Maybe not quite as good as the gigs in Helsinki though.

Do any of you remember, that did Bruce have any problems on LOTB 2018 tour opener in Tallinna?
I recall someone mentioning that Bruce's voice didn't quite blossom and boom on that first date saw the Helsinki-shows (#2 and #3) and I think he truly nailed it there.

Not really problems, just typical first gig rust in delivery. Some small struggles and roughness here and there. :) The very next show in Helsinki was truly mind-blowing indeed.

As I said, I think Bruce's age has been showing since TFF tour. 1999-2009 was a great period for Bruce. You can easily find spectacular examples of live singing from any point during those 10 years.I'd say that he had started to show signs of wear roughly around 2007 (see the Donington gig for reference), but nothing serious until TFF. . Mother of Mercy sounds absolutely terrible in the chorus.

Yep, thanks for the reply and I agree with you here. They've surely got some really difficult songs in the setlist and MoM makes no exception to this, it's is very difficult song to sing (Im not a singer but I can so relate to this on so many songs).

I wasn't at the Tallinn show but the videos seem to indicate that it was a good night for Bruce. Maybe not quite as good as the gigs in Helsinki though.

Yep, the videos are sometimes difficult to judge as it's such different thing there to be in the audience.

Not really problems, just typical first gig rust in delivery. Some small struggles and roughness here and there. :) The very next show in Helsinki was truly mind-blowing indeed.

Ok, cool and I think I've read and heard something like this. Helsinki was mind-blowing indeed. Absolutely.

Last edited:
Apologies for derailing this thread a bit, but this is really one of my most interesting things (change of voice and how to properly heal it and how aging affects it etc) about my absolutely favorite singer ever.

I knew that this song would be good comparison and I so..
With this I agree with you, Im not even going to listen anything other recent live-performance after 2009.
This was kinda heartbreaking to hear on BOS-tour recordings and official live-album. It's not the same that it used to.

Bruce sounded much stronger in 2017 yet most of the live recordings on The Book of Souls: Live Chapter are from 2016, the first tour he did right after surviving cancer. I sometimes wonder if Steve does not want to choose the best of Bruce's performances for Maiden live albums. That is probably not the case, but it certainly looks like that at times!

Bruce sounded much stronger in 2017 yet most of the live recordings on The Book of Souls: Live Chapter are from 2016, the first tour he did right after surviving cancer. I sometimes wonder if Steve does not want to choose the best of Bruce's performances for Maiden live albums. That is probably not the case, but it certainly looks like that at times!

Right, I saw them in 2016 on that tour and maybe I have to refresh some memories of the recordings especially from 2017. COTD didn't sound bad to me in concert..but then when I heard some chosen performances from The Book of Souls: Live Chapter I was bit surprised but it's not totally out of the question for Steve to pick some weird choices for live-albums taken from different shows. There has to better COTD ones from that tour, right? Tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back