LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
They still killing it live, but Bruce's struggle becomes more and more evident. With all due respect, some changes needs to be made.

All this talk of Bruce's voice is important and interesting, is it ok to talk here or shall we do some other thread (or the solo discussion thread)?

How many people really think that Bruce's voice has started to decline? Are you sure?Really?
I don't find it that way, Im still little surprised but maybe I have some fanglasses on.
He ain't near Paul Stanley luckily, I would say if he had to use playback then it would mean instant game over for Iron Maiden, no point in watching someone opening mouth and pretending to sing. Paul Stanley had teleprompter and it showed in red light where he could ad lib scream and say something, all the other stuff that sounded like singing was from the tape.
So, what are your prime examples of how Bruce's voice has changed in the last 20 years?
Especially interested on recordings that highlight his voice..bootlegs that have certainly good audio quality to do comparisons with.
Nowadays (or perhaps last couple tours) compared to some 86-87 or 88 where he was cold and not in full attack I think he's still doing terrific job at 61.
He surely had cold and sick times after he didn't have proper time heal and take care of his voice after the lenghty World Slavery Tour, for example Sheffield 86 2nd night, he was sick and couldn't hit high notes much at all and same things happened in 88, on Maiden England for example HBTN is hard to listen to now, as I was kid and saw that show from tape in late 89 I didn't instantly notice it but now that I've seen them live dozen times and have recording I've started to look more into this. Some shows towards 90's..I think he did sound marvellous in 92 but some of the reunion era is great and I can't at all think that his voice is declining.
2013 had some problems but even if he's had couple not so good performances in the last 15 years, but I can't fully think it's declining. Last years shows he performed great.
I think I have to go back and listen some songs (HBTN, Aces High, The Evil That Men Do) from the tours that they've been played just to hear some little differences here and there.

I still think that Iron Maiden sound better live now than they ever have, and that this tour, when looking at it as a whole, has been one of the best when it comes to Bruce’s voice, rivaled only by his solo tours through BNW era (as Mosh brought up in chat last summer). The fact that he only just got rid of cancer a few years ago and sounds this good is jaw-dropping.

I still think that Iron Maiden sound better live now than they ever have, and that this tour, when looking at it as a whole, has been one of the best when it comes to Bruce’s voice, rivaled only by his solo tours through BNW era (as Mosh brought up in chat last summer). The fact that he only just got rid of cancer a few years ago and sounds this good is jaw-dropping.

That's why Im wondering how someone could even think or dare to think that it's declining? It's one word that I have never associated with Bruce, since as we know, the voice was in much rougher and raspier state in the late 80's towards 90's.
It's truly miracle how wonderful he sounds after the cancer..as it could have been the end for his voice or even life. I was so glad that he beat that bastard disease.

He sounded pretty rough for quite a few gigs, then improved a lot and now he's pretty rough again. Even listening to the "good" shows there's no way in hell that you could argue they're up to scratch with most of the reunion tours. None. He was so, so much more solid in the early 2000s (as he should, he was much younger) it's honestly unfair to even try and compare the two.

Last edited:
I've said this many times. Bruce's peak years were around 1997-2007 and he's been declining ever since imo. LOTB tour is an exception since he sounds now clearly better than in 2014-2017.

He sounded pretty rough for quite a few gigs, then improved a lot and now he's pretty rough again. Even listening to the "good" shows there's no way in hell that you could argue they're up to scratch with most of the reunion tours. None. He was so, so much more solid in the early 2000s (as he should, he was much younger) it's honestly unfair the even try and compare the two.

Can you provide couple rough and couple good ones for example to me? I got database and collection plus some sources to do this.
I think it's valid to do some comparisons through his whole career, especially from the years 86/87, 88, early 90's, solo-stuff and then all the reunion and etc stuff aswell. Why not? 2018 voice is equal or even better to some recordings of the past.

I've said this many times. Bruce's peak years were around 1997-2007 and he's been declining ever since imo. LOTB tour is an exception since he sounds now clearly better than in 2014-2017.

What documents or experiences have made you to those results and exact years?
Can you share recording-dates or certain shows etc that show the peaks and decline etc? so far no-one has been able to help me here.

Reactions: Yax
All this talk of Bruce's voice is important and interesting, is it ok to talk here or shall we do some other thread (or the solo discussion thread)?
How many people really think that Bruce's voice has started to decline? Are you sure?Really?

I'd put it his way. It's more about managing bodily resources. Bruce can move less, perform behind microphone stand more, like on Live after Death. He's not spring chicken anymore. And band should do all things necessary for him to more perform in lower registers.

@Phantom. I'd challenge you to find a single recording post 2009 of, say, Hallowed Be Thy Name, that could rival Hallowed from Rock in Rio 2001 - Which was also the last date of the BNW tour and I'm sure Bruce was a bit tired from touing at that point as well.

Can you share recording-dates or certain shows etc that show the peaks and decline etc? so far no-one has been able to help me here.
I sadly don't care enough to do that. I'm not stating Bruce's gradual decline as an absolute fact. It's just what it sounds like to me. He sounds still great, it's all that matters.

In regards to Bruce's live vocals, I haven't seen Maiden outside of LOTB but the two shows I saw I witnessed a man who absolutely is on top of his game, yes some songs had their moments of weakness but no song as a whole was weak. Out of all the concerts I've been to there has only been a few bands where I couldn't pick out a member of the band who wasn't quite on par with the rest of them. Bruce is miles above many vocalists years younger than him. He may be declining as happens with age but if this is a declined performance then I'm still amazed.

Lets compare these two versions of Children of the Damned. Can you seriously say that the 2009 version is not better than the 2016 version?

@Phantom. I'd challenge you to find a single recording post 2009 of, say, Hallowed Be Thy Name, that could rival Hallowed from Rock in Rio 2001 - Which was also the last date of the BNW tour and I'm sure Bruce was a bit tired from touing at that point as well.

Why post 2009? Shouldn't it be post 2001 as you mention Rock In Rio 2001? :)
I think there's some valid performances between 2002-2009.

Lets compare these two versions of Children of the Damned. Can you seriously say that the 2009 version is not better than the 2016 version?

I knew that this song would be good comparison and I so..
With this I agree with you, Im not even going to listen anything other recent live-performance after 2009.
This was kinda heartbreaking to hear on BOS-tour recordings and official live-album. It's not the same that it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back