LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

How about a setlist of rarely played songs?

1.Murders in the Rue Morgue
2.Prowler
3.Still Life
4.The Duellists
6.Infinite Dreams
7.Deja Vu
8.Charlotte the Harlot
9.Remember Tomorrow
10.Genghis Khan
11.Sea of Madness
12.Killers
13.To Tame a Land
14.The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
15.Alexander the Great
16.Iron Maiden
Encore
17.The Clairvoyant
18.Drifter
19.Running Free

How about a setlist of rarely played songs?

1.Murders in the Rue Morgue
2.Prowler
3.Still Life
4.The Duellists
6.Infinite Dreams
7.Deja Vu
8.Charlotte the Harlot
9.Remember Tomorrow
10.Genghis Khan
11.Sea of Madness
12.Killers
13.To Tame a Land
14.The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
15.Alexander the Great
16.Iron Maiden
Encore
17.The Clairvoyant
18.Drifter
19.Running Free

I'd pay good money to see this (though if they didn't play "Still Life", "Infinite Dreams" and "Killers" on the Maiden England tour a few years ago, I doubt they'll ever play them).

"Duellists", "Genghis Khan", "Killers" and "TTAL" in the span of nine songs would probably kill Harris (not that "TLofLDR" and "Infinite Dreams" are that much easier - makes me miss how challenging his bass playing was during the eighties).

I'm really curious to see the reaction of South America crowd on FTGGOG. I wonder if it will be different, but I have the feeling it won't, simply because the song is only known by the "fanatic" fans like us.

Also, it will be the first time ever that Maiden will play a song from AMOLAD down here. Let's see how it goes.

I think the reaction will be wild (as always with SA crowds). They like every song. Best fans in the world, without any doubt!

Maidenfans.com is hardly representative of the average Maiden fan.

Run to the Hills is a monster of a song, the perfect song to finish the show with regardless of some fans (a small vocal minority?) liking When Two Worlds Collide more.

If a list is showing Run to the Hills as Maiden's 82 best track then there's obviously something wrong with how that list was compiled.

As the curator of that lost, I strenuously disagree.

I wasn't casting aspersions on your efforts in curating the list, more on how honest people were in voting (I suspect a lot of attention seeking going on) but more importantly how the figures ascribed to particular tracks are not uniform e.g. I could vote a 10 for every track I think is great whereas someone else might only vote a ten for his favourite track or not even deign any track worthy of a 10. People trolling big name tracks as well.

It's not so much trolling, I guess, but people voting for their favorite tracks mostly. For example, I think I have voted for TXF only because it's the album I feel needs more appreciation. I may have voted for some other isolated songs that I particularly care about and want to positively influence their score. But I have never voted for songs like Fear of the Dark or Run to the Hills because they don't need my support anyway.

I wasn't casting aspersions on your efforts in curating the list, more on how honest people were in voting (I suspect a lot of attention seeking going on) but more importantly how the figures ascribed to particular tracks are not uniform e.g. I could vote a 10 for every track I think is great whereas someone else might only vote a ten for his favourite track or not even deign any track worthy of a 10. People trolling big name tracks as well.
There's very little of people trolling big name tracks, to be fair. There has been a little bit over the years, but the rest is people giving honest opinions. I've tried very hard to set the appropriate expectations for how to vote, and most people have been paying attention. Although I can't guarantee that every single vote of thousands over the years represents exactly the "correct" vote for that person compared to what it should be, I am aware of the limitations of honesty and I have encouraged people to the best of my ability to avoid these behaviours.

I believe the results speak true to the attitudes of forum members at the time.

But I have never voted for songs like Fear of the Dark or Run to the Hills because they don't need my support anyway.
But you should, to get closer to the truth :D

That said, there is a clear numerical discrepancy on some albums compared to others.

There's very little of people trolling big name tracks, to be fair. There has been a little bit over the years, but the rest is people giving honest opinions. I've tried very hard to set the appropriate expectations for how to vote, and most people have been paying attention. Although I can't guarantee that every single vote of thousands over the years represents exactly the "correct" vote for that person compared to what it should be, I am aware of the limitations of honesty and I have encouraged people to the best of my ability to avoid these behaviours.

I believe the results speak true to the attitudes of forum members at the time.

To be fair most of the songs at the top are songs you'ld expect to be there and vice versa at the bottom of the list. Dream of Mirrors being approx 50 places ahead of Run to the Hills and BQOBD being so low, while weak tracks from weak albums are ahead of it, are the 2 main head scratchers for me.

To be fair most of the songs at the top are songs you'ld expect to be there and vice versa at the bottom of the list. Dream of Mirrors being approx 50 places ahead of Run to the Hills and BQOBD being so low, while weak tracks from weak albums are ahead of it, are the 2 main head scratchers for me.
1. Just because you think a song is strong/weak doesn't mean that the vast majority of people agree.
2. The rankings represent 15+ years of Maidenfans, not just today. So opinions change over time, and it is based on Maidenfans, not the vast plethora of Iron Maiden fans.

The issue with the rankings, afaict, is that they are the opinions of a relatively vocal minority who follow Maiden's music in a current basis and regularly exchange ideas and opinions on even Maiden's lesser known stuff. We have threads dedicated to the equipment each band uses, who wrote what songs when, links to books written by members of the Maiden crew who left said crew over 30 years ago. We are, for the most part, a very driven and informed community in regards to Maiden and we absolutely do not make up the majority of Maiden fans. I'd argue we're less than 1% of that total.

RTTH is a great song in and of itself, but in Maiden's extensive and prestigious catalog, I doubt it would be anywhere near the top 10 let alone top 50.

The issue with the rankings, afaict, is that they are the opinions of a relatively vocal minority who follow Maiden's music in a current basis and regularly exchange ideas and opinions on even Maiden's lesser known stuff. We have threads dedicated to the equipment each band uses, who wrote what songs when, links to books written by members of the Maiden crew who left said crew over 30 years ago. We are, for the most part, a very driven and informed community in regards to Maiden and we absolutely do not make up the majority of Maiden fans. I'd argue we're less than 1% of that total.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back