Led Zeppelin poll and discussion thread

which is your favourite Led Zeppelin album ?

• Total voters

____no5

Free Man
well this apart from a poll can be a Led Zeppelin discusion thread too  :)

as for the albums, very difficult to decide almost amongst ALL, but I would say The 4th
...is the one I'm more attached sentimentally ...just for this

LedZeppelinFourSymbols.jpg

My favourite album is the third one. Reason number one is that it has my all-time favourite Zeppelin track on it (Since I've Been Loving You). Reason number two is that it has those really wonderful acoustic ballads (Tangerine, That's The Way, Friends, Gallow's Pole). And finally, it's just a grand album, I only wish they'd included Hey Hey What Can I Do instead of Hats Off To (Roy) Harper.

I only have four Zeppelin albums (II, III, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti), plus the Early Days / Latter Days compilation. I like all of them very much; Physical Graffiti is uneven but has a number of fantastic songs, including the extraordinary Ten Years Gone, and I love the diversity of Houses of the Holy. It's a lot of fun to listen to and it also has No Quarter, which is pretty much as good as it gets.

But if I had to pick one, I'd go with III. It's simply the most thoroughly brilliant one (though I can't speak highly of Hats Off to (Roy) Harper), and it doesn't get much better than Since I've Been Loving You or Tangerine either.

Shadow said:
I only have four Zeppelin albums (II, III, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti), plus the Early Days / Latter Days compilation.

You should pick up Presence.  Imagine if Physical Graffiti had three discs -- Presence is akin to Disc 3.  Yet, in my opinion, Achilles' Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea For One are better than anything on Physical Graffiti.  Tea For One is reminiscent of Since I've Been Loving You (a fabulous song in its own right), but more epic.  And, of Achilles' Last Stand, one reviewer (Brian Downing of All Music Guide) wrote:  "The rhythm of the song is very galloping and influential, without which ... Iron Maiden's entire oeuvre could not have possibly existed."  Whether that inference is true is debatable; the similarity, however, is not. 

As an absolute Zepp fan I can hardly pick up an album saying it's my favourite since I love them all. Obviously IV is a masterpiece but I always considered III as good as IV although different. Presence is also absolutely great although underestimated album. What to say about Physical Graffiti, a double studio album showing how diverse the band was at the time?
Hummm.
Let's say I vote for Physical Graffiti, it may not be my favourite (can't make a definitive choice) but it's their longest! :lol:

cornfedhick said:
Yet, in my opinion, Achilles' Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea For One are better than anything on Physical Graffiti.

I would agree with you, if Physical Graffiti wouldn't have Down By The Seaside and Kashmir on it.

First of all, I had to edit the poll. Coda can't be ignored. Some nice gems on there, especially "Wearing And Tearing".

My favorite album is Houses Of The Holy. 8 brilliant songs, even if "D'yer Ma'ker" and "Over The Hills And Far Away" get overplayed on the radio. "The Rain Song" in particular is just stunningly beautiful. Physical Graffiti would be a very close 2nd place.

It's strange, but I've never understood why so many people love IV. Maybe it's just because I've heard that album so many times, but it doesn't excite me very much. The songs are unremarkable, except for "Stairway" - and I've heard that so many times that all the thrill is gone there.

On second thought, I don't think it's because I've heard it so much. I can name other albums I've played at least as many times - Zep II, The Number Of The Beast, Who's Next, Master Of Puppets - and those never bore me like IV no matter how many times I play them. It has to be that I just don't think half that album is any better than average. (In fact, "Battle Of Evermore" is downright awful.) There are four above-average songs: "Black Dog", "Rock And Roll", "Stairway" and "Misty Mountain Hop" ... and I'm tired of the first 3 of those. Only the "Hop" interests me anymore.

Looks like I'm solo in "In Through the Outdoor".  I don't think too many people have given this one a listen to.

I really do like Carouselambra, and All of My Love; Hot Dog is really different, but kind of fun at times. 

I do like Houses of the Holy, and I get why so many people like IV, I think its because that one gets the most noterity, and people stick with what they know.  I have to agree with SMX, those four songs are great, but I have heard them so much!  I'm also jumping on that bandwagon of Misty Mountain Hop, it is the first song on that album I wanna hear.

In Through The Out Door has two of my favourite Zep tracks (In The Evening and All Of My Love), and the entire album is a good and solid listen, but it just can't excite me all that much as most of the others can.

In Through the Outdoor was the first (and only) vinyl album I purchased from Led Zep. And for that reason, it has a slight sentimental value - and I will agree with Perun on his choice of favoured tracks from that album. Trivia time: the album inner sleeve had a water colour picture - you just needed to brush it with water to see the colour.

I do own, however, the original remastered 4 CD box set from these guys, and to be honest, it contains all the tracks I want to hear from them.

Funnily enough, the 4 CD box set was a Christmas present from my sister many years ago, and when my Mother saw I got this, she said: "You're too young to know about Led Zeppelin." Now, been one of the older posters here, it does show they certainly still have an appeal after all these years of inactivity.

what is maybe not known by most of people about Led Zep IV
is that at least 4 out of its 8 songs are heavily influenced from other songs -

for the story :

Rock n'Roll - Little Richard, Keep a knocking
Going to California - Bert Jansch*, Go Your Way My Love
Stairway to Heaven - Spirit, Taurus
When the Levee Brakes** (an uncredited cover from the 20's blues song with the same name)

[*]
the same guy that did the Black Mountain Side's original version (titled Blackwater Side)

Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie McCoy
727089513_small.jpg

That's pretty much the same with the first two albums. Heck, the first album consisted of almost nothing but uncredited (and, sometimes, credited) covers.

In case people are interested:

Ex-KISS, MOTÖRHEAD, IRON MAIDEN Members Featured On 'The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Tribute'

Cleopatra Records has released a two-CD set called "LedBox - The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Tribute" on the Deadline label. This 25-song double CD set contains contributions from many great classic rock artists, including the following:

Eric Bloom (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT)
Brian Robertson (MOTÖRHEAD, THIN LIZZY)
Tony Franklin (THE FIRM)
Doane Perry (JETHRO TULL)
Pat Travers
Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW)
Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (THE DOOBIE BROTHERS)
Jack Russell (GREAT WHITE)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Manny Charlton (NAZARETH)
Rick Derringer
Steve Lukather (TOTO)
Albert Lee
Dweezil Zappa
Rick Wakeman (YES)
John Wetton (KING CRIMSON)
Geoff Downes (ASIA, YES)
Steve Morse (DEEP PURPLE)
Keith Emerson (ELP)
Billy Sherwood
Tony Kaye
Alan White (Yes)
Paul Di'Anno (IRON MAIDEN)
Taime Downe (FASTER PUSSYCAT)
Jani Lane (WARRANT)
Joe Leste (BANG TANGO, BEAUTIFUL CREATURES)
John Corabi (MÖTLEY CRÜE, UNION)
Marq Torien (BULLETBOYS)
Kelly Hansen (FOREIGNER)

"LedBox - The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Tribute" track listing:

Disc 1:

01. Good Times, Bad Times
02. Houses Of The Holy
03. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
04. When The Levee Breaks
05. Dazed and Confused
06. Whole Lotta Love
07. You Shook Me
08. Immigrant Song
09. Ramble On
10. Rock And Roll
11. D'yer Mak'er
12. Stairway To Heaven

Disc 2:

01. Fool In The Rain
02. Dancing Days
03. Heartbreaker
04. Black Dog
05. All My Love
06. Kashmir
07. Misty Mountain Hop
08. The Ocean
09. Houses Of The Holy
10. The Rover
11. Dancing Days
12. Nobody's Fault But Mine
13. Stairway To Heaven

For more info, check  http://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/b ... edbox.html

Perun said:
That's pretty much the same with the first two albums. Heck, the first album consisted of almost nothing but uncredited (and, sometimes, credited) covers.

original compositions : Good Times Bad Times, Communication Breakdown
influenced compositions : Your Time Is Gonna Come (Traffic), How Many More Times (Beck)
uncredited : Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, Black Mountain Side
credited : You Shook Me, I Can't Quit You Baby

0300000000081822.jpg

yet what is important to the first album is its SOUND, which brought something completely new
-and that's why it doesn't matter that much if the songs were covers or not

Wasn't sure where to put this. There has been much hub-bub about the new Led Zeppelin reissues, which are supposedly the first CD releases to have been mastered from the original master tapes kept in Mr. Page's vault. By all accounts, the new versions sound good, albeit a little more compressed than I would like. The archival material has been less exciting -- except this, which is fucking awesome. Why they chose the acoustic "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" over this version for inclusion on Led Zeppelin III is beyond my comprehension. A friend told me this track (titled "Jennings Farm Blues") was alone worth the $12 for the new deluxe edition. It's a Jimmy Page guitar extravaganza. Enjoy:

Why they chose the acoustic "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" over this version for inclusion on Led Zeppelin III is beyond my comprehension.

Probably because they wanted to give the album a heavier folky edge. But I agree, this is what it should have been. Thanks for posting! :ok:

Back